Kate's Uni Days

Hi there! After being inspired by some the text adventures on here, I finally decided to get an idea I’ve had for ages put into action.

This is Kate’s Uni Days. You control Kate, a first year (a “Fresher” as we call them in Britain). She’s had a lazy summer and put on some weight so she’s already self conscious about her expanding waistline.

However, it is your job to see that it does continue to expand, of course.

The link: http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/gefzjb_dkecflvhokphukw/kates-uni-days

Current Build:
V3.0 - SEMESTER TWO

• Romance! [Note, there’s no going back once you choose]
  • Weight Gain!
  • Okay, that’s about it really, but what more do you want?
  • Oh, there’s some cool stuff that only happens based on prior choices, so that’s neat, I guess.

V2.1 - The jumper will not automatically be in your wardrobe at Christmas any more.
- Christmas Gift now correctly disappears when giving it to Lily
- Minor typos fixed
- Game will now automatically transport you to your room regardless of whether you get seconds at Christmas dinner.
V2.0 - CHRISTMAS SECTION ADDED
- Relatively small addition with one optional weight boost for Kate
- Choices made in Semester 1 are reflected in this addition
V1.1 - New characters introduced [None are important… yet]
- New items introduced. [Only one is collectable]
- Tightened up a few behind the scenes scripts.
- Added “put” command fail script to help guide people.
V1.0.1 - Meal plan quest can only be completed once now. Debit card can only be retrieved if you don’t have the debit card yet.
- Have removed the option to drop the key items
- You can now use the verb “give” as well as “use” with the items that can be used on people.
V1.0 First Semester - The game takes place at the start of the first semester and your actions dictate what will happen over that semester. The game ends currently at the end of semester one, where you get to see what your actions led to.

Current Features:
Dynamic Weight - There are a bunch of events that if triggered will cause her weight to be higher at the “end of semester” room at the end.

Interactive Cast - There’s a whole host of people, ranging from your flatmates to the bar man. At the moment I only have included the essential personnel (so that should streamline your experience somewhat!). Some of them will give you hints, some of them have their own secret quests that might lead to different outcomes at the end of the semester…

Multiple Outcomes - As mentioned above, not only will Kate’s end of semester weight depend on your actions, there may be other things unlocked by certain actions during the course of the game.

So that’s basically it. The plan is now to make sure this First Semester is solid before adding a Christmas instalment, followed by the second semester, then Year 2 and Year 3 (will just be full year time lapses). I hope you enjoy and please provide feedback and constructive criticism and especially let me know of any pesky bugs!

Thank you :slight_smile:

I couldn’t give the keys to David. It kept saying “He doesn’t want them.” Then I dropped them and it says I can’t take them now. No idea if it’s a bug or I just did something wrong.

Never mind, I had to use the keys, not give the keys lol.

Ah. I’ll be sure to edit in the option to use “give” as well. I guess it wouldn’t also hurt to let you know that the whole David arc doesn’t affect anything in the results of the first semester :stuck_out_tongue:

How do you sign up for meal plan? No obvious words smithing seems to work

Nice, and interestingly streamlined. Only a few actions needed to trigger the end sequence, but a number of options for altering it. A couple of notes:

• If you go with Physics after talking to Peter, there are no descriptions of you in the post-game (in either the photos, mirror or scale).

• After getting the meal plan, it’s possible to go back to your room, get the card back in your inventory, and order the meal plan again.

• I’ve figured how to meddle in the waistlines of Mel, Sarah and Isabella, but not Laura. Any tips there, or is she forever dedicated to the fitness gods?

• What’s the range of conclusions? I’ve reached the Rey shirt, so to speak, with a few different sets of actions, so am I right in assuming that’s the maximum?

Using the card on Janice (think offering it to her) worked for me.

A good start! But at the very end, when the game flash forwards to the end of the semester, it says that I’m back in my room but I don’t actually move back to my room. I would make it so that the same event that triggers the flashforward also triggers “move play character to [X] room.” Otherwise, I think it was pretty good!

So how do you affect Isabella? I figured out Sarah and Mel, and I assume Laura is untouchable.

Opt for the spanish module, then ask Isabella about the module.

I seem to only be getting the Rebel Alliance shirt. Is that before or after Rey?

It was a lot simpler to set up a second version of Kate’s room where the exit triggers end game for this part. That exit will move you to the start of the Christmas section when that’s ready, so it has to be a separate room for that reason anyway. It might be a lot of work but the idea is you should be back in the original room at the start of the second semester, after Christmas.

[quote=“Cordite, post:6, topic:1019”]Nice, and interestingly streamlined. Only a few actions needed to trigger the end sequence, but a number of options for altering it. A couple of notes:

• If you go with Physics after talking to Peter, there are no descriptions of you in the post-game (in either the photos, mirror or scale).

• After getting the meal plan, it’s possible to go back to your room, get the card back in your inventory, and order the meal plan again.

• I’ve figured how to meddle in the waistlines of Mel, Sarah and Isabella, but not Laura. Any tips there, or is she forever dedicated to the fitness gods?

• What’s the range of conclusions? I’ve reached the Rey shirt, so to speak, with a few different sets of actions, so am I right in assuming that’s the maximum?[/quote]

• That’s interesting. I’ll look into that one straight away. EDIT: I’ve just tried and it’s fine. Anyone else having this problem?

• That shouldn’t be possible, the card should be removed from the game altogether upon signing up so, yep, gonna have to look into that too xD

• Laura is indeed not changeable… for this semester. :wink:

• Rey / 185 is the highest you can get at the end of this. I’m trying to keep this semi-realistic at least. There’s five different stages here, all 5lbs apart, incidentally.

V1.0.1 - Meal plan quest can only be completed once now. Debit card can only be retrieved if you don’t have the debit card yet.
- Have removed the option to drop the key items
- You can now use the verb “give” as well as “use” with the items that can be used on people.

^ This is now live.

This project’s off to a great start! I had a good time with the first semetster. But, can anyone give me a hint as to how to unlock photo two? I’ve managed to get all the others, I think.

Assumption:

I’m guessing it involves the takeaway menu. However, I’ve picked it up and spoken to Mel while holding it – this triggers Mel’s gain properly – but putting it on my pinboard afterwards doesn’t seem to do anything different. Do I need to put it somewhere else, or do something with it?

Also, possibly a bug:

“use menu on mel” produces no response, but “give menu to mel” tells me she doesn’t want it.

[quote=“cloaked-ghost, post:13, topic:1019”]This project’s off to a great start! I had a good time with the first semetster. But, can anyone give me a hint as to how to unlock photo two? I’ve managed to get all the others, I think.

Assumption:

I’m guessing it involves the takeaway menu. However, I’ve picked it up and spoken to Mel while holding it – this triggers Mel’s gain properly – but putting it on my pinboard afterwards doesn’t seem to do anything different. Do I need to put it somewhere else, or do something with it?

Also, possibly a bug:

“use menu on mel” produces no response, but “give menu to mel” tells me she doesn’t want it.
[/quote]

Thank you :slight_smile:

Use [Takeaway] Menu on [Pin]board should do it. Mel doesn’t need a menu, she has her own :P. Purely speaking to her with the menu in hand is all that you need for her. I’m interested to know if “Well Used Takeaway Menu” also doesn’t appear for you at the end as both should appear if you do the above action.

Aha! There’s a bug, then.

I was typing put menu on pinboard which moves the menu onto the pinboard, and causes the description of the pinboard to change, but doesn’t trigger the +5lbs or the conversion of the menu into the “Well Used Takeaway Menu” in the ending sequence.

Switching the command to “use” makes everything work properly, and both the second photo and the other item appear at the end of the semester. Perhaps you could make “put on” work identically to “use”, or otherwise forbid “put on”?

V1.1 - New characters introduced [None are important… yet]
- New items introduced. [Only one is collectable]
- Tightened up a few behind the scenes scripts.
- Added “put” command fail script to help guide people.

^ is live. At this point, I think I’ve laid all the ground work to begin on the Christmas instalment. If there’s any more bugs, let me know.

Tried a bit to replicate that earlier missing description issue with Peter, but haven’t been able to. Might have been a specific collection of choices, or perhaps just a random glitch. At any rate, apologies for the worry.

I’m playing v1.1 and still haven’t managed to get photo two:

I assume it’s related to the takeaway menu mentioned before, but I’ve not found it. Any hints would be appreciated!

Some odd things happen as the end game is triggered:

[spoiler]If you have the jumper you can’t leave the quad and are told to stop carrying it. Dropping it in your room works, as does using it on the wardrobe, but “put jumper in wardrobe” doesn’t work.

When you do leave the quad, the final line is “You should probably head back now.”, but if you go west (back where you came from) it says “There’s no reson to go back yet.” which seems contradictory.
[/spoiler]

[quote=“dingotush, post:18, topic:1019”]I’m playing v1.1 and still haven’t managed to get photo two:

I assume it’s related to the takeaway menu mentioned before, but I’ve not found it. Any hints would be appreciated!

A hint:

Try exploring the stairwell more…

Full spoiler:

From your room, go south, west, up. The takeaway menu is at the top of the stairwell.

[quote=“dingotush, post:18, topic:1019”]I’m playing v1.1 and still haven’t managed to get photo two:

Some odd things happen as the end game is triggered:

[spoiler]If you have the jumper you can’t leave the quad and are told to stop carrying it. Dropping it in your room works, as does using it on the wardrobe, but “put jumper in wardrobe” doesn’t work.

When you do leave the quad, the final line is “You should probably head back now.”, but if you go west (back where you came from) it says “There’s no reson to go back yet.” which seems contradictory.
[/spoiler][/quote]

How odd, Cordite. No worries :slight_smile:

As for the above:

[spoiler]I will just say the jumper is irrelevant for the first semester, so you don’t need worry yourself in getting it just yet anyway. When you try to use ‘put’ (which is not a standard Quest ‘verb’ for some reason or at least it isn’t in the one I’m using!) it should automatically give you a message telling you to use… well, ‘use’ instead. When in doubt always use ‘use’ in any Quest game :slight_smile:

As for the University, that’s a good catch, I forgot to change that. I’ll change in the next build and remove that exit altogether because the exit direction is ‘out’[/spoiler]