New SaggingTon - Visual Novel Project

I’m a bit late to the party as I had my own monthly release approaching. I thought I might enjoy this demo, and I wasn’t wrong. I actually appreciated the ambiguity of the PC’s gender and thought it was deliberate and well done. I do get that cautious feeling when being asked the PC’s name without any set up ahead of time. Looking forward to seeing where this is going.

1 Like

To be totally honest, I wanted to keep that ambiguity throughout the game. It’s nigh impossible though if you get two characters talking about the PC though, as happened later in the demo… So, had to add them in. Got he/she/they implemented though, and working with all 5 use cases (she/her/herself/hers/her’s)

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t mean my clothes suggestion THAT seriously, as I did indeed wrongly think you made those assets yourself, and maybe wanted to use a “clip-on” clothing system like in Extracurricular Activities. So, good luck finding an artist!
One thing I really like is the, now confirmed, genderless protagonist thing, because even though I have a preference myself, anyone else can enjoy the game to the fullest as well.
Also, one thing I liked was this “deny deny deny” attitude of our main character, like with the “My boss is hot…wait no…uuuh I was just checking his clothes…Because I am…tired” scene.

1 Like

Sorry if I came off as a bit standoffish in my reply too; after 6 comments saying the same thing about assets when I clearly put in the post about how I didn’t make the art assets… It got a bit tiring having to explain that. Thanks though, I will need all the luck I can get!

As for the genderless thing… Heh, that is something you now pick at the start right alongside your name at the very beginning, and the pronouns follow you through. I tried to rewrite the one scene that used genders by mistake to not use them, and it wound up being easier to make genders something of an assignable value that the player picks than write a story without any references to he/her/they. So, yeah, that is in but it is selectable.

I’m glad you liked that scene! I reworked it a touch to make it even easier to read and more believable too, so it should be a treat the next time through!

6 Likes

I wonder what the entire game will look like

Brand new update to the game. Added in some new art assets and music from the game new, lovely artist and musician respectively, brought a mac version for those running on macs, and added in another probably 100 lines of dialogue. There is a new gender system in there now, a few scenes have been reworked to make them flow better (And will probably be reworked again as this is still very much a work in progress), and yeah! Let me know what you think!

Thank you a ton for all the support so far!

6 Likes

Your update looks good, Sasuke! The art improvements look promising (hooray for tight-fitting clothes!). I understand the watercolor filters for the backgrounds, but I will still have to get used to them (the blur makes my eyes feel out-of-focus). There is definitely room for more detail on savoring the first meal, but its imagery was a nice touch. [I am now thinking about incorporating something similar into my own game.] I tried the auto-advance feature for the first time, and it was actually a good pace for a very slow reader like myself. Some small typos that are not worth mentioning, with the exception of these two:

• “Our town is the heaviest in the world by nearly 100 pounds” was a repetition of a previous line, and it was better articulated the first time.
  • (This one first confused me, then tickled me.) “Involve me and I lean.” -Ben Franklin

I am sure I speak for many of us here at Weight Gaming when I say we are salivating in anticipation for the next installment. Thank you for the update!

2 Likes

Thanks for checking out the game and the response. Really jazzed ya like the art, that’s awesome! The artist is super nice and I love working with them, so I’m glad ya like what they do. As for the backgrounds… That was really just to make them a bit less stark and make the new art stand out; the backgrounds are also going to be drawn in time. I can get not being able to focus very well though, so that may change if people aren’t fans of it. The meal scene was kind of rushed (I have a nasty papercut on one of my fingers so typing is kind of a nightmare), and I will definitely add in more detail there. I just didn’t want to overload either, even if the game is a lot about food and gluttony and the like… So, a bit more detail, but not too much. The auto advance is built into Renpy, so that’s huge that it works for you. I’m a fast reader so it’s hard for me to test, but it’s great that it works for you.

Thanks for catching the typos, I’m still working through to get them all too. The Ben Franklin quote specifically is only there if you pick a certain degree too, so nice catch.

I hope everyone is as jazzed for this as you are, and thank you for the reply!

2 Likes

The update is great. It makes the atmopshere fit better and the clothing looks great too, also imagining a big Hoss naked first thing is very horny, I like it.
I feel like the music fits nicely and the end is now less abrupt then before.
The only thing I can say negative is that the food scene made me feel less about us eating, and more about listening and thinking about others eating. But that is a subjective opinions of mine, as I was looking forward to our MC overeating a bit more, heh.
Also I am looking forward to your Patreon and thank you for this update!

2 Likes

Heh, I was going for the horny option with the naked horse. I’m glad everything seems to flow better, because I am still working on refining the flow there so that everything just feels perfect; it’s the intro to the game, I want it to feel great. I’m glad you dig the music too, Bruce is doing a great job with the couple pieces he’s done so far. As for that eating scene… I’m not super happy with it yet. I’m still tweaking and playing with it, because I do want it to be that look at others eating more. I mean, you are a new character in a city of gluttons after all, so overeating on the first day when you haven’t adjusted just feels a bit abrupt. I get what you mean though, and I am still trying to make it fit better. Thanks for the look!

2 Likes

The Patreon and Discord are live! You can go here to support the game monetarily, or here to chat with myself, Bruce, and JeffieB to learn more about the game as well as the world of New SaggingTon.

Thank you so, so much for all the support so far. I am really jazzed on this project, and can’t wait to see where it goes.

2 Likes

Will this be made playable on android? Because i really hope so my laptop is dead…

Eventually I may make a version for Android, but not right now. I’m focusing on PC and Mac since they’re easier to export, and testing on my admittedly old phone is nigh impossible.

1 Like

New, finalized writing for the demo just got uploaded. Check the main post for details, and give it a look. Any feedback is appreciated, and know that while content-wise this is it for the demo, it WILL still get the new art assets for characters that aren’t drawn in full yet, as well as the music that is still needed to make all of the songs custom.

3 Likes

Hey, so i quickly tested your new demo and it seems at the last choice about giving your keys, if you decide to give them to Dhumal, they will reply with both answers. Aside from that, all else seems good, tough i would enjoy if you updated the demo once you have more, one more day perhaps. If not, the tiers are cheap and might support you to try the next build as im enjoying the direction its going.

2 Likes

one thing that confused me is the characters, so …

I understand that the sprites are temporary but one thing that confuses me is the game characters are separated from the OCS or they are the same thing?

like, all the characters in the game were created separately just for the game or

is the whole city populated by your OCS?

Thanks for checking it out! The error has been pointed out in the Discord, and I have it noted down for future releases to fix it; I forgot a label in Renpy, so it’s a quick fix. There will be free releases for the game on major updates or as I feel like adding a bit more, like another day released every now and then for free and talk of the game on the Discord, but I am keeping it on Patreon mostly so that I can compensate the artist and musician. This is a passion project for me, but they do need to get paid!

1 Like

The city is primarily my OC’s, in fact several of them are on Toyhou.se already with bios and whatnot. The art is from ref sheets that I could cut out easily, and ones that fit well into what I want to do in the game. They weren’t created for the game, they were made for me wanting to flesh out the town. I’ve been writing in and working around New SaggingTon lore-wise for about 10 years now, so it’s something I wanted to make a game in using my characters.

That being said… It’s a small town. I don’t have the 4000 or so OC’s needed to fully populate it. So inserting others characters in (One of the tiers on Patreon) or writing stories with others in the town is also very easy. The town itself is a full creation of mine, and the characters are all part of that… If that makes sense?

1 Like

oh yeah I understand, and honestly the game is pretty good, a little on the short side but it just makes me more curious

and I love lore, especially with WG. so yeah, I’m super excited to explore and get to know the citizens especially the “lil” zebra fella that MC keeps mentioning

1 Like

The game is just a demo for now. It would be further along but as the main post mentioned; I just moved a few weeks ago and I am still kind of getting settled and getting everything all taken care of. Moving house is stressful. But yeah! That zebra will be a part of the game in a ‘big’ way, so you will have plenty of time to get to know him!~

1 Like