New SaggingTon - Visual Novel Project

Nice to see the first-day demo being completed! A calm start is actually quite underappreciated; most stories rush in their first chapter and try to cram the whole exposition into one day, leaving you with too many characters to keep track of and too many bits of intrigue for you to focus on. It looks like muscle mass will be part of the stat tracking, which a number of players might appreciate.

I listed some small typos and notes below. Let me know if you would like me to scale back on pointing these out. Please know that I do them out of sincere passion for what you (and other game designers) make. If I do not make these observations, it is because I am not really invested in the game, so take them as a compliment, of sorts. As always, I am excited to see the next installment!

• “…the thoughts of what else you would have to take [care] of today starting to fill your head…”
  • “…the deep oranges and purples of the early evening sky…” are actually grey in the background. That would be perhaps an easier fix than getting an official “New Saggington” welcome sign display.
  • “…his shirt…had a solid two-inch gap between it’s hem and Dhumal’s pants.” (It does not appear that way, though. The “its” typo occurred once more later on.)
  • “…or even how the docks would give aweay free fish on slow days.”
  • “…so he recommended to explore at your liesure.”
  • “…catcching yourself before you called him boss again.”
  • “…super serious willpower and a side of excercise and dieting…” (misspellings of “exercise” appeared a second time soon afterward)
1 Like

First off, thank you so much for the observation about the start. I really wanted to ease players into the game rather than just give a massive lore dump… I mean, I’m trying to make this more immersive than anything else, so that whomever is playing can insert themselves into the game. Getting jumped into a new town with a rundown of everything and meeting 20 characters on day 1? That would be… A bit much. So, I’m glad you noticed that. Muscle mass will be a stat tracked too, you are correct in that. It will be subtle, as the main point of this game is weight gain, however you can beat the game without gaining a pound and no characters doing so either, and not get a bad ending. I want it to be the focus, but not the sole focus, if that makes any sense.

By all means keep on pointing out the errors! I actually have a bug and issue thing on the Discord for the game that I am keeping track of things like that. I will jot these down though and fix them for the next build though! Thank you so much, and if you find more or feel so inclined, don’t hesitate at all. I’ve got a thick skin with this.

3 Likes

Hi! Saw this and wanted to try it out. It looks really good, but there’s a little bug at the end though.

When Dhumal offers to get your car for you, and you’re presented with the choice of giving him your keys or doing it yourself in the morning, you can choose to trust him and hand over your car keys. The thing is, his dialogue will play normally, but then a second set of dialogue will play as if you chose not to trust him.

1 Like

First part of a let’s play series I did of the original demo build. Really looking forward to the finished project.

3 Likes

Quick project update here!

First off, this project is NOT dead. I have had 2 surgeries since the start of this thing (Kidney stones and shoulder reconstruction), as well as a nasty hand injury that kept me away from the computer for over a month. There have been updates to the game, mostly which I put on Discord now, but really things have been quiet on that front for a while as I have been recovering from surgery and the fall that made surgery needed. I will be trying to get the ball rolling on the project this month, as physical therapy is going well, but things will take time. So, thank you so much for those who have enjoyed this so far, and I really hope everyone looks forward to what comes next for New SaggingTon!~

21 Likes

Gosh I hope you’re doing okay. please take all the time you need

is all the wg in this game male? or is there female too?

1 Like