Pantry Raid v4

Concept? Good. Execution? Extremely frustrating. The RNG element is what kills it. I keep waiting for guards to just get out ouf whatever inconvenient spot they’re stuck in, but they keep running circles in some corner or loop. And you can stomp to oust them, but it’s hard to do this without getting caught in most areas.

I think it makes more sense to design a handful of levels that are always the same than to do this “RNG” thing. It’d be novel for every playthrough to be unique, but to have that comes at the cost of the thing that keeps a lot of stealth games intact in the first place: the ability to outthink your enemies. That’s not something you can do if your enemies don’t know what they’re doing, because there’s no way in hell that you can, either.

Well, then I guess you’re gonna miss the…PANTY RAID.

3 Likes

Hey man. I used to comment as “newpete” (lost the email to the account).
This game is great! Love seeing what you and MrPr1993 have done since last year. It’s also kinda cool seeing my suggestion survive into the final product :stuck_out_tongue:
Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

That’s just the sequel where you’ve outgrown your clothes and need to steal more.

5 Likes

I can’t even beat it on Tunnel Vision mode. I’m hopeless.

2 Likes

Definitely. I think a lot of people overlook the fact that what makes most stealth games good is predictability. You need to be able to understand enemy movements.

I think a randomly generated stealth game could work, but it would need a lot more refine ment. You would need the game to consistently build easy levels to traverse, and it would need to build enemies that move consistently along those paths.

5 Likes

You’re not hopeless man. This is kicking everyone’s ass due to how the game is designed overall. It’s not your fault.

1 Like

The game is actually way easier from previous designs but everything you guys are saying is actually helpful.
Very helpful.

1 Like

Also i have noticed if you don’t get caught there will be fewer guards.

1 Like

I DID IT! I REACHED THE HIDDEN ENDING! And to prove it, here is not one, but TWO screenshots!

5 Likes

Good job! As promised, here are all the cheats:

YOUCANTSEEME - Invisibility
GHOSTDAD - Walk through walls
BACKTOTHEPAST - Old map generator
BLANKSLATE - No walls
YOURETOOSLOW - Increased player speed
ALLYOUCANEAT - Food everywhere (you have to get it all)
WANTED - Twice the guards
TUNNELVISION - Guards only see in straight lines
THIRDEYE - Guards see in all directions
TWENTYTWENTY - Guards see at any distance
ELBOWROOM - Double level width and height
GONEFISHING - No guards
PANICMODE - Fast guards
HEEHEE - Moonwalk
HIPTOBESQUARE - Square-only maps
DEATHGLARE - Loss on sight
TIGHTFIT - No open space
BADTRIP - Rainbow mode

Some of these are more like challenges, really, but a good number of them can render the game trivial. Try different combinations for fun. A couple of personal favorites: TIGHTFIT + ALLYOUCANEAT for a game mode like Pac-Man, or TUNNELVISION + THIRDEYE + DEATHGLARE for a real thinking game.

5 Likes

This game is fun and all and I like the concept, but fuck if it isn’t hard and frustrating. I swear the enemies just do whatever they want sometimes, turning on a dime, seeing me a mile away through a strange broken zigzag path, and thats not to mention the frustration of how slow you walk and enter vents later. Hell, on LEVEL 2 I couldnt escape into a vent with someone like around a corner 10 blocks away. The game almost forces you to speedrun/perfectionist it because getting caught makes it harder, but then it doesn’t care anyways because level 3 and 4 have extra guards even if you’ve never been caught. Needless to say, I haven’t gotten the secret ending because I want to continue liking the game, and if I play more I’m gonna beat my head into a wall lmao.

4 Likes

All I feel is PAIN and BORGAR

2 Likes

okay, so a few issues:

1. sometimes, a room would generate with no vents, granted, these rooms had less guards, but on levels 3+ the inability to escape the faster guards proved a challenge when they camped the food, you could fix this by adding things that will guaranteed spawn in, like in enter the gungeon (crest room will always spawn, sewers level will always have the crest in it, etc.)
  2. guards would camp the food, seemingly actively, maybe place food close to vents, or add things that will make getting food easier (usable items)
1 Like

i know this is old but by some reason i cant start the damn thing is just get stuck at the main title

Have you pressed space?

3 Likes

Why don’t the cheats work? i put them in and nothing happens.

Make sure you put them in all caps, verbatim, with a line break between each one, and save cheats.txt before launching the game. If it still doesn’t work, I’ll need more details to figure out what’s going wrong.

2 Likes

Yeah i am dumb didn’t realize, btw is there a way to fullscreen?

There’s no support for that in the code, but you might be able to get by with a generic approach. In Windows, you can right click the executable, click Properties, and select Run in 640*480 screen resolution under Compatibility.

Pain

1 Like