Sarah Goes to College—a Quest text-adventure—New Release (No Joke!)

Thanks for everyone who’s commented, suggested, and supported. I wanted to offer a quick update: I’m still working. The skeleton of the next sequence is done, so now it’s time to flesh out the story details. I my delay this part by a few weeks so I can get my computer back from repair. Quest’s online editor is enough for what I’m doing, but it does make playtesting a chore. When I get my computer back, I’ll be able to go through all the possible outcomes to ensure there aren’t any major errors.

To whet your appetites, I will say that this sequence is more like Fall and less like Christmas: several major decision points that may or may not be required, all of which can lead to numerous outcomes. It will not be possible to see everything in a single playthrough. There will also be the potential for each of Sarah’s college friends to put on a significant amount of weight–if you can make the right choices. Hopefully, you’ll all be able to see what I’m doing soon.

14 Likes

Maybe I should wait until I’ve got something to post, but I’m just too excited. I’m down to just writing descriptions for the Scale and Mirror interactions (simultaneously the hardest and most fun part of development). I will get those knocked out tonight, which means the latest sequence should be live within the next 8 hours or so. Hope you’re all as excited to play it as I am to get it out there in the world.

Watch this space.

14 Likes

It’s done! The spring semester is live. This version is quite a bit different than the source material that inspired me, as well being a lot less linear than the Christmas sequence. I’m really happy with how it turned out, and I hope you all enjoy playing it. It is also not my intention to end it here. I plan to keep moving forward.

Now, I won’t guarantee there aren’t any errors or other small issues I missed. Trying to playtest using the online server proved difficult. That’s why I won’t really start working on the next part until after I get my computer back and can start working offline again. If you find something, let me know and I’ll fix it. Also, while I have plans for the summer sequence, I’m open to suggestions. If there’s something you’d like to see included, let me know and I’ll see if it fits the story that I’m telling.

Thanks to everyone who’s enjoyed this game so far. I hope this meets your collective expectations.

17 Likes

Hey! I played through most of it, but I feel like I’m stuck.

I did the health evaluation and got the meal plan, and I also found the calendar and send the information over to Maddie. Is there anything I’m missing?

Sounds like you’re just missing the relationship. There are four potential outcomes. Liam and Riley are always available, while Summer and Savannah are possible based on your choices. Talking to them loads an option onto the phone, which will jump you to the end of the semester when activated. If you talk to them before the doctor, turn the phone off and on again. If you talk to them after, it should add in automatically. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Perfect, thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey great game, just one question When you go on holiday with Madison, I assume I missed something but it says by some miracle you didn’t gain any weight. Is there a way this doesn’t happen?

3 Likes

Not in any appreciable way. The main purpose of that part is to get the minimum weight up. If Sarah is small enough, she gains weight during the trip. Otherwise it’s just fun with her sister. I did that to limit how many interactions and outcomes I’d have to write, so instead of her possible weight ranging from 125 to the new maximum, now it’s 150 to the new maximum. I admit it’s a bit of a cheat.

3 Likes

How do I get Savannah as a texting option?

In order to get Savannah as a texting option, you need to have signed up for the Cooking Club during the beginning of the semester.

3 Likes

Love the Spring Semester and how Sarah is starting to use her sister’s philosophy to her advantage with some of the others (depending on the path you take). I wonder how summer will shape up for Sarah and her friends once it is ready (unless you are getting ready straight for Fall semester again).

I noticed a slight error: When talking to Summer after she suffers her own injury the line where she says “gained weight” has those <i’s> there. Not sure if by some issue with Quest or something else.

Maybe an idea: Maybe once it is Fall Sarah has to join another club and depending on you choices/weight she may start her own club, one more geared for being maybe a foodie or body acceptance. I can see at least two if not three of the dorm mates joining it (if their weights or relationships allow it.

1 Like

Great addition! Love the direction you’re going.

Maybe an idea for a future semester or break Maybe instead of a club, Sarah chooses to get a campus job? Maybe working Fast food/Bakery/Library or even choosing to not work at all and just be a lazy bum could be a fun idea that could lead to a multitude of gains.

5 Likes

This has been a really fun experience so far and I’m excited to see where it goes. I always love seeing how these improve with each update. I will say that I’m still a bit lost on how to get the maximum weight for both parts however, not quite sure what I’m missing. If anyone has any idea then it will be much appreciated.

1 Like

What sort of levels have you achieved with each part? Let me know, and I can give you direction to anything you might be missing.

Well: I have been achieving 195 by either going with Summer or Riley (of course I have done Track in the first semester. I don’t know if there is more that can be done other than maybe something during Winter break (and I have taken the snack at the first opportunity and eaten seconds, so again not sure what else to do).

Got it. The way I designed the story, there are multiple endings, with mutually exclusive possibilities. Running track with Summer initially is how you achieve maximum fatness for Sarah during the first semester, but if you want to hit the current max by the end of Spring semester, then join the Astronomy club and become good friends with Liam.

3 Likes

Very sneaky, hadn’t done much with him since he and Savannah share a similar gain. I also like how Annie is actually getting a boyfriend if you go with Liam unlike the other choices.

Cracked 200lbs by playing around with a few options. Also for fun tried a negative run and the scale at the end just announced I had done something very wrong. Fun playing the few different paths.

2 Likes

I threw that message in there to tell me that I messed up on some triggers. Do you know what path you took that led to that message? That will let me identify the issue and correct it.

1 Like

Okay this is from memory:

I took the path of minimal interacting with others for fall, signing up to track club, but not speaking to Summer at all. Sarah was at 125lbs by Xmas. She then got the fitness tracker as a present. Only ate the minimum for main meal. Spring I ignored Madison and most others. Wore the tracker, spoke to Summer. Did the physical test and then instantly texted Summer, I think.

p.s. sent you a ‘successful’ dark path save, just step on the scales

1 Like