Scarlett Rose in the Wide, Wild Wastelands (Extended Demo Ver.0.2)

In the wide, wild wastelands, food is coveted above all else.

Step into the boots of Scarlett Rose, a gunslinging scavenger with an appetite for the large, soft, and heavy. Hunt for food in hostile post-apocalyptic environments, feed a harem of characters, watch as they balloon into your very own prized hogs, and keep an eye out for the various dastardly gangs and factions of the wastelands.

Experience a slow burn, narrative-focused RPG weight gain game with challenging turn-based combat, intense boss fights, and intimate character relationships.

Feed the Post-Apocalypse!

Developed with the MV3D plugin, and heavily inspired by Mad Max, Fallout, and other post-apocalyptic fiction. This is the result of several months of tinkering around with the engine and figuring out the best way to go about telling this story I’ve had rattling around in my brain for the last few years. Enjoy this short demo, and let me know what you think!

NOTE: Some dialogue, sprites, and gameplay systems are temporary placeholders and are not indicative of the final game. If you come across any bugs or typos, don’t hesitate to let me know about it!

ITCH DOWNLOAD:

Updates:

*Extended Demo Ver.0.2 Dev Log (8/15/24):

• Rebalanced Combat
  • Added PrettySleekGauges by Vlue, Rocketmancer, and mjshi (forgot to include this in the in-game credits, will fix for next release)
  • Added ‘Adrenaline’ item (Increases Aggression Points by +20)
  • Altered Erika’s Sprite
  • New Slaver(M) Sprite
  • Added Slaver Face Icons
  • Added Knucklebones Face Icon
  • +5 minutes of new story content
  • Rose now wears a tie
  • Temporarily lobotomized slaver’s AI to mitigate FPS issues
  • Two saves included for your convenience, one right before the Knucklebones boss fight, and one right where the last demo version ended

Enjoy, and let me know what you think about the changes to combat! Next update will have much more new story content to enjoy, so don’t get too mad about the ‘cliffhanger’ in this one :sweat_smile:

42 Likes

Well, this is nice and promising. Tho I am not sure how it will be going if all of group (except for Rose) dont seem friendly to eachother… And there is a suspect that Erica is not lesbi… And must add that its the first time when I play with this engine

It’s pretty good and i can’t wait to see more but for some reason 50% of the time the framerate is abysmally low

1 Like

I like idea of making fake 3d game, just like old dooms/wolfensteins used to be.
It does not look bad, but here it makes game stutter a lot.
I’m also at the very beginning of game, but i feel like i’m powerless, after killing one slaver i can’t kill another one because i die in second fight and game does not explain how i can heal myself.
Nvm, i found first aid kits, interacting with objects is very tricky here
Ps. how do i even unlock first doors in slavers camp?

1 Like

Well, you dont need to fight bandits. Like it was told, it is supposed to be a stelth mission, so you can just run from enemies (not sure about rats, they give food, but it doesnt seem much).
You need talk with prisoners first, than take TNT from one of chests in the location, find a hole and make a BOOM.
A tip: take Dog from your camp, you probably wont be able to win boss without it.

1 Like

Have a same problem, tho only in start, when I was running from couple bad guys.

7 Likes

Seems like everyone is having some stuttering issues so far :upside_down_face: There should be an option to lower shadow quality in the settings, but I’m not sure if it’ll help. I think I might know which plugin is causing the FPS drops, and I’ll try to get that fixed up in the next release.

This is an interesting concept. It’s rare to see the 3D plugin used which I always enjoyed the thought of a 3D rpgmaker game. I’m not sure if the food will be used for anything relatively soon after the end of the demo but there’s a lot of opportunity to collect stuff with no real use in the demo. You have two or three times that food is implied that it’s going to be made and fed to the girls’, but this doesn’t happen due to narrative events. And I know that feels a bit jarring to be able to collect a bunch of things that don’t have a tangible use in the demo yet. It’s not a bad thing but felt a bit odd.

Knuclebones is not a hard boss fight, but I do feel they hit a little too hard for the amount of HP the player starts with. Taking half my hp or 2/3 of “dog” felt like I always wanted to just use a first aid kit every turn while praying the RNG of Hail means I didn’t miss a bunch of times. The boss does have really low HP all things considered but it felt like I was just in a healing loop after the first turn with only Rose attacking due to the fact that the boss takes away a good amount of HP. Might be worth either giving the player more hp to start, or giving the boss less attack but more HP, some kind of balance change there, in my opinion.

“Dog” doesn’t have a normal attack, only a special attack requiring AP. It feels weird that there isn’t a basic attack for them and I’m not sure if this is intended since there is a “shoot” option that is grayed out for Dog as well as them having an ammo counter.

I’m curious to see where the story goes and how this further develops. This was cool to check out the demo.

1 Like

This is invaluable feedback, thanks for taking the time to write it up!

Dog is definitely meant to be more of a support character than a fighter. I wanted to give him some kind of attack, but most turns you’ll be using him to apply healing or buffs. His attack is meant to be a sort of last resort. The ‘shoot’ option is really only there because I haven’t figured out how to get rid of it :sweat_smile:

Food will be used almost immediately after where the demo ends. I considered throwing in a small sequence where you use the little bit of food you’ve gathered to make a small meal at the campfire, but I like the thought of Rose really making them wait for it.

You bring up some very good points about the boss fight, and I’ll definitely consider rebalancing a bit. I want bosses to be challenging and tense, but not necessarily frustrating. I’ll most likely end up beefing up Rose’s health in the next release.

2 Likes

A rat managed to dodge my first hit and dealt 159 damage to me. Either the game needs a damage/HP rebalance or Rose is extremely allergic to rats.

does the mc gain weight?

It was probably “an excellent hit” or a crit in this case which is not something that is meant to happen often. But yeah that would be a ton of damage for a small rat to the protag.

@Godhan69 not in the demo at least. The MC is set up as a feeder in the narrative but I’m not sure if there is meant to be protag weight gain or if it would be optional.

I didn’t find the boss too hard, TP (or whatever it was in the demo) saves fully over fights, stacking 2 triple shots worth of it before fighting the boss means he goes down in 2 attacks

I honestly got confused as to why people found him hard enough to recommend I take dog with me due to him being unbeatable alone

does the mc gain weight?

Now wouldn’t that be interesting? :zipper_mouth_face: (but seriously, if this does happen its gonna be way, way down the road, so don’t get too excited yet lol)

Yeah, that was definitely a critical hit, but I’ve already lowered the attacks of most of the enemies and raised Rose’s and Dog’s HP thanks to all the feedback here. Next release will hopefully feel a bit more fair in the balance department :v:

3 Likes

It’s not remotely hard. But the games an rpgmaker game with rng. You can miss every shot in the triple shot. And the boss can hit for half your HP meaning you need to heal especially if you miss again due to rng.

My point was that the boss is balanced to hit too hard which potentially means you can get stuck in a healing loop with the base mechanics and rng. That doesn’t seem intentional and raising the bosses hp while slightly lowering the damage they can do would help balance it better to protect against this.

Would this be optional or the intended part of the story?

Definitely intended. I barely have the time as it is to work on one story path, I don’t think I have it in me for multiple branching ones :sweat_smile:

Any optional stuff will most likely be short scenes with more extreme/weird kinks sprinkled in for the weirdos like me. The game will otherwise be mostly linear.

1 Like

I figured but I could hope. Either way makes sense to do what is best for the scope of the project.

1 Like

I can’t figure out where to go after the mute runs off. There’s nothing to get across the pit, nor do any of the other exits work. Is the game glitched?