SoftFoxxo's Unfinished WG Platformer

I’m loving this game so far and I appreciate the tweaks done to level 2, but the boss feels too easy at the moment. I went through a whole run of that level with no attacks and just ! switches, and it’s possible to land multiple blows after pressing it. Perhaps removing the platforms and guaranteeing an attack after hitting her could make the boss more challenging? Just my thoughts, i’m loving the game so far though.

Of course it’s good that was given the opportunity to вуигп the control but instead of 9 keys you could use 7-6 keys:
*for run (L/R - left/right): L/R+L/R(hold);
*for action(run): L/R+L/R+L/R(hold);
*what is sense of “interact” when doors are opened by “up”?

P.S. I don’t pass lvl2 yet.
Boss looks some originally: she can be hit twice for five seconds, and ,as a regular boss with temporary invulnerability, she too often drops the button.
Challenge is interesting.

1 Like

Right now it’s genuinely random, so in the next big update I’ll be sure to adjust it so she has a pattern! I SWEAR sometimes it can get very hectic with some bad luck, lol.

1 Like

I have “Interact” as a second button to avoid Sonic Adventure 2 syndrome, where you end up having too many things set to one button.
The secondary buttons on gamepads are there purely as a ‘just in case’ scenario, where you wanna make sure the bumpers and the triggers work for one specific thing.

Just I couldn’t exit from options, because I was thinking that “interact” opens doors.

I found that only some things could be rebound on the gamepad

also this was neat
Untitled

2 Likes

I really like this game! The concept of having various transformations is neat to me, and also having a witch transform you too. I can’t wait to see what other ones you have planned!

The platforming feels a little stiff at times, but I think part of it is me getting really scared when I’m jumping on the bubbles so I back off a bit and fall… oops!

One suggestion I have is maybe making it so that wall jumps don’t require you to hold toward the wall, like jumping at a wall jump wall causes you to enter a wall slide and you can jump at any point after that.

Otherwise, great game. I like it a lot and can’t wait for the next update!

The way momentum works in the current build makes that tight platforming SUPER awkward on that part with 4 bubbles you need to bounce on to go over a ledge. You gotta time the turns just right, and it’s not clear what angle you need to hit the bubbles at to avoid getting hit.

1 Like

Played the new version, definitely a lot cooler than the coin collecter test the first version was!
Sprites still awesome as ever and both versions of the icons are equally effective and pleasant to the eye. The little hub area is neat, and now that I think about it, it kinda reminds me of that old Fancy Pants game you’d probably see someone play in school a while ago. It’s simple and effective, helps you find everything you need, and even gives you sight of the new witch character, who is definitely not missing out on some certain curves! Either way, definitely like your style.

Both missions presented were quite enjoyable, and the witch lady stopping by to provide “help” is an interesting alternative to the pizza consumption of the original. While I feel like this makes the level feel a little more “scripted” personally, I think this new character holds a lot more potential than the pizza. There was certainly a bit of a learning curve for the bubbles and wall jump (I don’t play many platformers, so that might be the reason!), and the fact that WASD also tends to be used for movement in other games might not have helped, but I did eventually overcome those troubles for both levels (I just used default, but I do remember there being a way to program my own controls if wanted, which is a nice feature). I do also feel the panning between sections in the first level also tended to be a bit jarring at times (the wall jump especially), so in those areas where there might be larger platforming sections, I feel it might be better to follow the player (so if the section of platforming is tall like the wall jump, have it scroll up and down, or if it’s wide have it scroll side to side) instead of the pause and scroll. Otherwise, I enjoyed the level design and that idea of opening new areas once being plumped up is definitely still cool. Controls are smooth and while there isn’t too much to do with them yet, I’m looking forward to what you’re cooking up next!

Longcriercat was simple but a nice little battle. Like others have said before, it is a bit easy as of right now with the buttons spawning a little more often than they probably should. I would probably hope to see more visual cues on how much damage the boss has taken as well (even if it’s just some scuff marks to indicate the boss is down on her last limb. Just helps to know you’re making progress!). I really like her design and her high levels of pudge, and boy does her animation only help her appear super soft and squishy! Even with the linework only really being apparent on the face and the only real shadows being the strain on her shirt and her belly button, you did an incredible job making it apparent what was what. I do wish that enough of the pizzas hitting you would add a bit to your waistline, but I’m unsure what that would do to gameplay and am fine with how it currently is.

Finally, that little challenge was fun, and pretty wholesome helping your friend. It was like a short little minigame. Can’t wait to see what other challenges you have in store!

Oh, remember the potential I said the witch had? I’ve actually got a couple ideas, if wanted:

1. Balloon/Inflated/Light- Not particularly my thing but might add a fun element, making the MC more balloon like. Maybe have it signified with a shinier, rubbery appearance, and it would essentially just make the player floatier. This could be useful for getting the player across large gaps or higher places
  2. Super Heavy- This would be for if you’re really looking to go down, and is also a personal excuse to see MC get a little bigger. This would be signified by a much chunkier player, and would drastically lower movement speed, but her sheer weight would have her almost instantly break through any destructible blocks below her or have her roll down hills without being prompted. This could be used to cause a falling section (plummeting down, avoiding obstacles until safely reaching the bottom), or a little rolling section (almost like a roller coaster, except jumping over gaps or onto segments of small platforms and avoiding hazards overhead) to add some extra variety
    3.Super Balloon/Inflated/Light- This would be for if you’re looking to fly. MC might appear super puffed up, as well as maybe having her cheeks puffed up (kinda like Kirby?). With this large amount of extra air, she floats just above the ground, and might be able to jump more than once (maaaaaybe infinitely). If there’s a large body of water or a pit she needs to cross, this could be useful. If she there’s a cliff just a tad too had, she could float right up there. Now, there will be a few obstacles of course, possibly in the form of hazardous ground, birds, or falling rubble.

Due to the more extreme nature of the last two, they could also appear as just challenges instead, but they might could be something cool for future levels.

Either way, gameplay is fun, graphics are quite nice, and I’m looking forward to future updates!

3 Likes

I have “Interact” as a second button to avoid Sonic Adventure 2 syndrome, where you end up having too many things set to one button.

This is way too accurate for it’s own good :rofl:

Actually just got around to playing this and I love it! The attention to detail is amazing and I find the idle animation sprites for the heavy form so cute! Keep up the great work!

Played a bit ago and I have a few question’s. About the roll mechanic in the game, will it’s momentum be preserved midair (did not think to try it while playing and i misplaced the game on my hard drive as of typing this)? also how will game over be handled, will there be continues? lastly will there be forms the player would want to avoid?

here are some of my thoughts and things I found

the shoulder tackle is kinda useless (unless it can attack enemies and running can’t) because the run charges so fast (only 4 tiles)

slope rolling when heavy being canceled when holding forward is a bit strange (but holding back doesn’t)

running and rolling up slopes while heavy sometimes collides with it (seem to happen more often with a longer run up)

normal stomp breaks gray blocks and heavy can run through them as well (not sure if intentional or not)

during the boss fight standing on the two middle tiles or the left/right most tile is always safe. this is fine on a first boss but the boss doesn’t really look like a first boss

seeing the special lose condition was nice

tackling walls makes you bounce on it but running doesn’t when normal and the spin move doesn’t bounce on walls but running does when heavy. I think it would make more sense if it was always when using action/run or both bounce while heavy and none when normal.

having stomp as down jump and butt pond as just action, instead of both being the same is a bit strange

I think the 3 bubbles on level 2 is fine, it’s the one bubble just after that causes issues because you can’t bounce straight up on the second bubble

the platforming is really fun when trying to go fast, some time trials would probably be fun

The shoulder tackle’s there as a just-in-case, because there’s a couple situations where you can get stuck because there’s not enough space. Plus, it’s something that always works, rather than having to work up the momentum.
Slope rolling will be fixed in the next update! (I checked the wrong direction like a doof, lol) I’m also still working out the collision bug, because it only happens sometimes it makes it hard to tell what it is.
A lot of the boss fight is going to be adjusted (such as it not being entirely random), so I’ll work on this as well. I don’t want it to be too difficult, though!
The stomp wasn’t supposed to be there anymore - I forgot to disable it! The Heavy form’s supposed to exclusively have the ground pound.

Rolling keeps its momentum when you jump. If you’re sliding, that’s not the case!
There won’t be a Game Over (as of now, at least). I find lives to be frustrating (more-so with the added bit of resetting you to the start of the game), so I’m gonna work without them for now and see how it goes!
I actually hadn’t thought of the idea of a ‘bad’ form. I’ll think about it! That’d be an interesting concept.

I swear everyone forgot that game existed! xD

What’s hilarious about the “Super Balloon” form, is that I already have something in the works called “Puffed”, 'cause I thought it sounded goofy. I’ll think about Super Heavy, but I was unsure about it because of the current size that the Heavy form brings to begin with, lol.

Also, try losing to longcriercat for an easter egg!

1 Like

Puffed sounds like it could be fun!

Super heavy could maybe be a temporary “bad” form that also limits jumping, so it could be inflicted by a boss making the player unable to jump and hit them for a bit. Maybe the extra weight could activate a switch for a puzzle or shake the screen to get a switch to drop down!

I was also thinking about a bouncy form, but I’m not really sure what it would look like.

one thought I had about a bouncy form is it could be the first level of inflation and on the second level you float

You could have a level themed around that. Like, you pick up the “inflation powerup” and some kind of hazard rizes up with you. The level bends a little and has some overhangs to slow you down so you touch the hazard that’s behind you. So basically a vertical chase section. Could be an idea for a boss level.

Bug report:

• The boss fight is extremely picky about where you hit the top of her head. I’d say about one in three hits end up with me getting hit and not her. As far as I can tell, hitting the exact middle is safe, but anything else is a risk. Easily reproduceable.
  • MAYBE a bug?: When I got the weight powerup in level 2, I tried to roll at the right arrow, but on the first try, the character rolled down the hill, then partway up the next hill, then back and forth between the two hills, like I didn’t gain enough speed, despite starting at the top. I can’t reproduce this one though.

Comments/opinions:

• I feel like the boss should give you temporary invincibility as you fall after you hit her head successfully; I’ve dropped onto a pizza on the way down more than once.
  • That bottomless pit at the bottom of level 2 is arguably misleading, the first time I saw it, I jumped down to see if there was anything there. IIRC, it’s the only bottomless pit in the game, which might be why I tried jumping down.
  • That zigzag staircase of bubbles is a total pain in the patootie. The first bubble is in a bad spot that doesn’t let you get any speed to the left, so you have to make a bunch of unsuccessful attempts to try to land on the exact spot on the first bubble to potentially get pushed in the correct direction.
  • More of a personal problem, but it took me a bit to figure out wall jumping because I’m used to Metroid-styled wall jumping, where you hit the wall, then have to pull back in the other direction and jump again. Doing that here just makes you drop.

EDIT: yes, some of these have already been brought up, but nobody likes getting bug reports that are only reported by one person on one computer.