SoftFoxxo's Unfinished WG Platformer

This is a big improvement over the last update, but I still think there’s a lot of room for polish. Almost any time I needed to use wall-jumping or bounce on some bubbles, said obstacle took me multiple attempts. The control over the main character doesn’t feel responsive or fluid enough to handle many of the game’s platforming challenges. I suggest either tweaking the obstacles to better accommodate the control limitations or improving the base movement.

Just played the last version here. So far I think it’s indeed a big improvement, with the control customization (although the interact button confused me a little) new form (very interesting to play with), new levels (gonna love trying to speedrun them later) and the boss battle (it was fun), but I’ve found a few problems and want to give some suggestions.
First one is about how walljumping currently works, the fact that you need to hold down the direction of the wall you’re going to walljump off from for it to work makes it very awkward to use properly (especially with the screen transition on Level 1). I’d suggest making it so that as long as you’re touching a wall, pressing the jump button will still make you jump off, making it a lot easier to perform.
Second one is that bubble section on level 2. Just like Shugoki said, it can be very hard to hit the bubble in a way that makes it possible to progress when you’re going really fast, and it’s worsened by the fact that if you don’t slow down your run, you’ll miss the third bubble. That can make going through that section really frustrating if you’re trying to complete the level as fast as possible.
Third one is a bunch of general issues. There’s a spot in a slope at Level 2 where you’ll bump into (which is very strange)image , the fact that you will get stuck if you jump over the gap you’re supposed to jump in and proceed through Level 2 as you would when starting out after you get the Heavy form (i think you can still do the bubble section) and that you can’t immediately replay levels after you finish them (or maybe there is and I just haven’t found it yet, lol). Don’t get me wrong though, this game is very fun and I’ll be eagerly waiting for the next update! :slight_smile:

That spot where you can bump into happens in more than one area, but today’s patch/update should fix it! I’m still working out the wall-jumping, as I’m trying to make it work the easiest way possible. I might end up making the wall-sliding and wall-jumping separate, tbh. I also fixed up the bubble section, since I realized that one was a bit tough - so I replaced the bubble with a spring at the bottom!

Actually, I just went and made an adjustment. Version A of today’s build no longer requires you to be holding against the wall to jump off of it - you just have to be near it. Let me know how well y’all think it works!

Not sure if I should call it a bug report or just whining, but having the pizzas spawn on you if you’re on the top level in the boss fight is a total killjoy, which is why I’ve been jumping from the second platform instead and running into the wonky hitboxes on the boss’s head. Haven’t tested if the hitboxes are fixed in this version though.

Minor issue: the puffed sprite in level 3 is a smidge offcenter and rotates funky because of it. No clue if that’s intended or not.

EDIT: also yeah, wall jumping is definitely smooth now. With how easy it is now, that should allow for more complex walljump platforming in the future, too.

Capture

Bug report: Hit the spring, bounced up and smacked face first into the bubble. Hurt animation threw her sideways, and now she’s stuck in an infinite loop of bouncing off the spring in this pose and I can’t move to get her out of it.

not sure if this is intentional behavior but during the boss fight you can score up to 2 consecutive hits on them possibility exists for a third hit but it seem’s it would require frame perfect imput
minor complaint about the boss fight the pizza can bounce in such a way as to occasionally make a hit (seemingly) unavoidable on rare occasion (i lagged during the fight at some points so i might have had more reaction time) I’m not sure how this could be fixed without crippling the boss too much i do like that the boss fight has a unique death animation for the player’s defeat i wonder if that sprite is a preview for something to come

I can confirm that you can hit the boss 3 times on one cycle

as for unavoidable pizzas it could probably be mitigated somewhat by limiting how many pizzas can be on screen (so she can’t throw a lot of slow ones and the some fast ones)

also the new wall jumping makes it impossible to leave the wall sliding state without jumping or landing. the way the levels are designed now it isn’t a issue but it might become one if there will be a lot of wall jumping, or a section where you go down a pit with wall jump-able walls

Puffed form! I like the wall jump changes a lot, it makes the movement feel more fluid. It’s nice to see the new form in action too, even if only in a limited stage. I can’t wait to see what else is planned!

Wow, just finished everything here and I gotta say that was pretty fantastic! Really fun movement, the level playback thing is inventive, and it’s a challenge at times. I really can’t wait to see what you do with this!

I like the Super Puffed and Super Fat ideas.

A little late on the reply, buuuut honestly that is pretty funny, can’t wait to see your ideas on that then! Completely understand having second thoughts for heavier forms though, but I’d never deny more weight gain, ya know? If can find a way for something like that to work, I think it could be pretty cool

Honestly, can’t believe I missed that. Excellent use of that pizza!

So I was thinking, if this game is already pretty heavily influenced by the Wario Land games, why not go 100% on that and have the powerups activated via enemies and things in the levels, rather than getting witch’d at specific points?

The levels in the builds put up so far have been what I’d call “Challenge” stages, like Time Trials. I plan on adding them to the Challenges menu in the next build, since I’m starting work on this exact concept! I’m just struggling with enemy designs atm, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out!

im sure you will get a design or two you will like eventually, just take your time please stressing yourself is not fun.

I just want to say that this beautiful. And you really should love yourself and take time out to breathe whenever you need it; you deserve it.

Oh! Uh, I’m not stressing over it, but thanks for the reminder.

Out of curiosity, does anyone mind how the menu(s) are at the moment? I planned on the current state of the menus to just be placeholder, but I can keep it as a little hub level.

can’t speak for others but i don’t mind a hub level it could even be a sort of mini stage of it’s own could be fun

I think it’s neat! Kinda like Kirby’s Adventure

1 Like