Starbound Big Fatties: Character and stories sharing

Hey all. Its been a hot minute since I’ve even been on here, but life’s been pretty crazy these past months!

No story here, but I’ve just been wanting to get into Starbound. Don’t know if this really counts as story-sharing, but I kinda wanna share the play styles I use for each of my characters.

There’s a certain list of rules I use for each character file to make the game more fun, and gets me more into the zone when playing the character. Its kind of like how there’s Nuzlockes in Pokemon- if you wanna try these out or make up your own, I say go for it.

Agnes19
Agnes Play Style: Vehicle and Concoctions-only Run

Weapons Allowed: Throwable concoctions, any vehicle
Explanation: The idea is that Agnes is a scientist who relies on technology and whatever chemicals she’s made. She’s got no battle experience otherwise. She’d rather jump in a mech than throw hands.

Futoi70
Futoi’s Play Style: Fist-only Run

Weapons Allowed: Invisible Fist, Invisible Sword, Rocket Punch Tech
Explanation: These mods make it look as if Futoi is only using her bare fists/palms. She’s a sumo wrestler, so her battle style is very fighting-game based, I think. Since she fights up-close, she has to tank a lot of damage using the fat she’s gained, but the only trade off is the limited reach that comes with that.

Varni5

Varni’s Play Style: Jump Tech-less, Mech-less Matter Manipulator-less Run

Weapons Allowed: Burning trail when running (mod), everything else
Explanation: Varni’s run is a raw survival game with little use of technology. Since she’s not a member of The Protectorate, she doesn’t have a Matter Manipulator. I still have to use the MM for certain things, but I can only use the mining tools to break blocks.

She must also use the grappling hook/rope to scale planets, and must use the same to get down safely. Varni’s exclusive skills are a constant Glow effect status and a blazing dash which does a lot of damage, and keeps foes far away.

Siegeflower41
Siegeflower’s Play Style: Pacifist, No Healing Item Run

Weapons Allowed: None
Explanation: Siegeflower’s play style works like an RPG; her crew members each have a certain skill, and fight in her stead as her bodyguards. As the tanky healer, Siegeflower can only heal herself and her allies. She does this with the help of two tech mods, which halves her defense, and depletes her energy in use, respectively.

In addition, she can’t inflict any damage, so no weapons. Even her mech arms are just a couple of shields. She’s by far the hardest to play, I think.

Her crewmembers are composed of:
The Long Range Attacker- Bow only. Drops food- kind of like rewards for defeating an enemy.
The Heavy Hitter- Hammer only. Very slow, but has immense payback.
The Thief- Dagger only. Quick, consecutive blows. Relatively weak, but stuns the foe to emulate status ailments.
The Knight- Double-handed sword only. Balanced attacker. Also, every RPG has a knight!
The Holy Knight: Single Sword only. Medic-type crew member. Mixed healer and attacker.

Ludmina5
Ludmina: Pet-only, Tech-less Run

Weapons Allowed: Pets only
Explanation: An Apex scientist who sends her lab rejects out to fight for her. The only pets she can use are the randomly generated ones that have a suspicious resemblance to Florans and Hylotl.

Also, she can only get around using a jetpack which slowly depletes energy, and she can’t use weapons. Its more like Pokemon in this regard.

If you plan to try something like this out, have fun!
Granted, some of these play styles are only capable through specific mods, but I hope this inspires new ways to play Starbound. Or something.

3 Likes

The Moontants in the erchius mining facility overwhelmed me…

5 Likes

Oh man, it feels like forever since I did my old floran story here! I was thinking about maybe doing a new one, though nothing is set in stone so far. I do too much floran stuff, so probably something different… Maybe using a modded race…

Which race gets a story?
  • Felin
  • Avali
  • Argonian
  • Slime

0 voters

2 Likes

(INHALES HOT CHEETO DUST)

Hey guys, it’s ya boi, THE_DIALOUGE, the fat whale thing! Just wanted to say that I feel like crapping out my own story for y’all, so be ready for that!

Now, it may seem like I’m stealing the spotlight from DigitalBlubber’s upcoming story, which, to be fair, there is good reason to believe that, lol. But I will say, should my story come out before their’s, please make sure to be on the look for DigitalBlubber’s story as well, as I’m positive it will be great! (and probably better than mine, lol)

3 Likes

Aw please, yours will probably turn out awesome! I’m really bad at sticking to projects anyways.

1 Like

Can you do the slime one?

It seems there was a tie so I flipped a coin. Heads for slime tails for avali. It came up tails.

Can you do the slime one afterwards?

Goddamnit, had the poll been open for a little bit longer I could’ve broken the tie.

1 Like

I can read this histories all the day.

“Congratulations, citizen! Welcome to the “New Worlds Initiative”! You have been selected from a pool of the brightest scientific minds taking internships here at Polaris labs to help us explore the unknown, make new discoveries and add to the ever-growing map of our universe!”

“You have been provided with a small personal shuttle fitted with a cryostasis capsule, the latest in hyperdrive technology and some basic supplies. When you awaken from your cryotube, do not panic! You may be in a new and unfamiliar location in space! Simply gather your supplies and perform a quick survey of this new world, then move on to the next! It’s that simple! We will categorize all planets, systems and lifeforms discovered by you upon submission of data.”

“Polaris labs assures you that you will be compensated for your hard work, intern! All discoveries will have YOUR NAME credited! Upon your death, we will also add your name to the New Worlds Initiative memorial wall! If you end up being lucky number 5000, we’ll send your clan ten THOUSAND pixels as reimbursement! Wow!”

(Polaris labs takes no responsibility for any injuries, deaths, irreparable damage to DNA, mutations, illnesses or those taken as wives or husbands by tribes of sentient aliens. Return to local space is impossible and should not be attempted. Please do not use the discovery submission system to call for help.)

“…Waaait a sec. This isn’t a promotion, is it.”

6 Likes

Well, this is a nice start. Let’s see what happens next!

“So, well, I suppose you all deserve a proper explanation, since I doubt i’ll be getting one anytime soon…”

“My name is Raluni! I am, or was, an intern at Polaris Labs, a large orbital science facility designed to research and discover new lifeforms, planets and other notable stellar bodies. I’m not exactly the… smartest Avali in my clan, so I was thrilled when I got an intership with them! Only days later, I was up for a promotion!”

“Oorrr so I thought.”

“One minute i’m wondering why the coffee the research director gave me tastes funny, the next i’m waking up after weeks of space travel in a cryo tube in an unmapped system. Welcome to the new worlds project! AKA how they get rid of annoying interns after bad performance reviews and still be productive!”

“Aaand my home away from home! There’s like nothing on that shuttle. Not sure where I am but it’s kinda nice unless you wander off at night. I’ve got a tent I found, a nice fire, my nanolathe and a board to lay out my plans for “operation get the hell out of here” as well as designing things for my survival.”

“The planet itself had people on it at SOME point, there are lots of ruins and crumbling buildings around… no sign of the previous inhabitants… but there are some new ones, besides me!”

“Like these weird alien spectral horses. Not sure why, I keep wanting to call them “hornses”. Not too sure about that.”

“O-of course… following the sounds of heavy hoofsteps also lead me to… whatever this thing was. It wandered around, shoving plants and vegetables into it’s mouth, playing with it’s giant belly and belching. I thought it was just some mindless bipedal eating machine, until it noticed me watching. I swear it winked and waved to me before waddling off… N-not sure what that’s about…”

“And these have been the most ANNOYING new neighbors so far! These stupid little sentient slime blobs keep hopping around, chasing me wherever I go! I don’t even know what they do, but i’m glad they haven’t found my camp.”

“So uh… I don’t know how I can get through to you people or… who you even ARE but… I suppose you’re the only ones I can come to for advice this time… I’ll admit, still not the smartest Avali around… so uh, that’s where you come in! Any suggestions…?”

11 Likes

I see…this story is dependent on viewer comments, is it not?

Head east, maybe there are people who can help?

1 Like

You know, they have a point, whoever they are. What better way to start than to check out your local area? You have no idea what’s out there and for all you know, you’re a mile away from a starport. A GOOD starport at that. The kind with a good coffee shop in it.

Of course, you weren’t expecting to run into your bovine “friend” again, the large creature waving again, turning to leave soon after… and shaking their wide, jiggling rump at you before they run off. Of all the things you expected to run into out here, a flirtatious mooshi woman is not one of them. Still, she seemed to be wanting you to follow her… maybe she wants to help?

By the time you lose track of your blubbery guide, plains have given way to towering spires of vines and leaves, a strange pseudo-forest unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Even midday, the sun barely reaches you… it’d be beautiful if you didn’t hear things moving through the viney underbrush. Things you can’t see. Still, eastward and onwards! Just… maybe it’s best to keep that sword you found near camp close by. Provided it isn’t some elaborate prop.

Even stranger is the sky blue, shimmering water that exists around some of the ruins. Around these pools, flowers and vines seem to grow in number and, after seeing some fish swimming in it… well, it can’t be that dangerous right? You haven’t had a bath in days, your feathers feel gross…

It’s not like anyone is out here, but you still feel like you’re being watched. Weird.

Of course, that would’ve been the highlight of your day, if not for what you saw next… a house. A large wooden house near one of the pools of strange water. Well kept and recently built, atop the upstairs balcony, what you assume is a male Hylotl waves down at you frantically. You’ve never run into a building faster in your whole life, nearly tripping up the stairs.

:fish: : “Sooo, let me guess. Another brave and brilliant explorer of the “New Worlds Initiative”?”

:turkey: : “I have to say, it’s nice actually being indoors for a night! Do you want any of my veggies? I found some on the way here…”

:fish: : “Oh, no thanks I grow my own. Need rice for the sushi.”

:turkey: : “…Sushi?”

:fish: : “Oh, yeah. You want some? I got Onigiri too, some ramen, i’m sure I could fix a few other things with fish…”

:turkey: : “Uuurgh…”

:fish: : “You uh, sure you don’t want another helping of-”

:turkey: : “N-nooo… 'm gunna… pop…”

:fish: : “Right uh… you good to just lay on the floor tonight?”

:turkey: : “UUUURRRRRRPPP!!

:fish: : “I’ll take that as a yes. Goodnight!”

10 Likes

A good meal but all things must come to an end, gotta keep moving around. Hopefully, the Hylotl has some spare tools to help get started?

1 Like

A very very full belly at least means you’re able to get some rest, though you can’t lay on anything other than your back thanks to your bulging, overstuffed middle. You just hope all your… noises doesn’t wake up your new friend.

Morning comes eventually, the light shining through the windows waking you up as you struggle to put your uniform back on. No good… you can get most of it on, but the shirt doesn’t cover your food-filled belly. At least the one other person you’ve met, possibly the only other person out here, doesn’t mind. It isn’t long before you hear them walking down the stairs, the door nearby opening as they walk right past you, heading downstairs for a moment and returning with a cup of tea, taking a seat nearby.

:fish: : By the way I know you’re there, just don’t like talking to people before I fully wake up…

:turkey: : Oh! so uh-

:fish: : Not fully awake yet…

You patiently wait for the Hylotl to finish his tea, the silence only broken by the occasional gurgles and moans of your belly, or the odd burp or two. You silently thank the gods you’re not an avian, else all this rice would have had you coating the walls before morning…

:fish: : Right so, what was it you were saying?

:turkey: : So uh… I was wondering if you could help me out… maybe give me some tools? Something to help me survive out here?

:fish: : Yeah, it’s called a hoe and watering pail. We’re STUCK here, lady. If you wanna live here with me, you’ve gotta help out, especially with how much you eat…

:turkey: : HEY! But… I mean, i’m not, actually…

:fish: : Wait… they didn’t send you here by drop pod? You have a working ship!? Or…something like it?!

:turkey: : Yep! And if you wanna come with me… you’ve gotta help out, especially with how much you complain…

:fish: : Touche. I used to study voidcraft engineering myself, back before I was sent out here… you get me off this planet and i’ll help you keep your ship running. Plus, i’ll throw in some more… USEFUL gifts… and information. By the way, since SOMEHOW you never asked, name’s Hiroshi. Nice to meet ya…

:turkey: : Raluni… and it’s a deal. Lets get the hell out of here!

Acquired MATTER MANIPULATOR!

Acquired LAMPLIGHT KATANA!

A quick teleport later and Hiroshi changing into one of the spare uniforms onboard, the two of you are back aboard your humble little shuttle, though it doesn’t seem to sit well with Hiroshi, who’s three eyes widen as he takes a look around…

:fish: : …Neat ship, where is the rest of it?

:turkey: : Huh? What do you mean

:fish: : Okay for one, we’re gonna need at least some furniture in here if we’re gonna travel together. Maybe a bigger ship too, if we can find a place all the way out here that has the parts and tools to actually do it. I do know of a settlement out here but they’re not exactly… advanced. A bunch of glitch, still doing the whole medieval thing. Should be on a swampy planet not too far from here… just fly the ship, i’ll put in the coordinates back here.

At the very least, the flight is pleasant. It gives your gigantic feast from last night time to digest, you really doubt it’d be a good idea to explore yet another unknown alien planet when you’re stuck waddling.

The planet itself is rainy, muddy… most of the trees seem gnarled and dead for some reason. The whole place is already giving you creeps and you’d hate to be here at night. Thankfully, you can already see the tower ahead…

Sure enough, it’s a Glitch keep of some kind! As you approach, one of the guards steps out, weapon and shield in hand… “Imposing: Halt! Who goes there? Identify yourself!” they yell in a digitized voice, causing you to back up slightly

:turkey: : I-it’s ok! Hiroshi sent me!

:turkey: : E-everything… okay you two? S-something wrong?

“Anger: Hiroshi slept with baron goldband’s wife! You are to immediately surrender your weapons and come with us!”

Well, that’s one option… there has to be SOME way out of this… right? Right!?

7 Likes

Welp, they got armor, you don’t. Might as well surrender, fighting is a no-go.

2 Likes

“STOP!! You’ve violated the law!”
Yeah, you’re a weak and squishy ammonia based lifeform. You should obey the strong metal villagers for now.

1 Like

what mods is that mooshi is under?