Stardew Valley Hefty Harvey Mod (W.I.P)

I am currently working on a mod for Stardew Valley to make Harvey, the towns local doctor a lot bigger. This mod would entail a full dialogue rewrite to include gaining themes, him being bigger and a lot more approachable seeming!

As a fan of the game and somebody who loves Harvey, his vanilla dialogue always ended up feeling stilted and after playing a mod that made Shane and Alex both superchubs I knew I had to get to work if I wanted to see Harvey in a similar manner!

Currently I have a majority of the dialogue rewritten from what the game has for Harvey, but I have honestly never created a mod or game before. I am curious about how much dialogue I am allowed to add and honestly will list below to make easier for discussion!

-Can you only rewrite dialogue that exists, or can you generate more things for a villager to say? (Example, 3 general dialogue reactions to just chatting being changed to more ect)
-How hard is it to implement these changes into a mod if I personally don’t know coding to any degree?

In general looking for some feedback, but also wanted to see if anybody else enjoyed the idea of a Hefty Harvy mod!

4 Likes

This might be a good place for you to get more information on Stardew Valley modding if you’re not aware of it.

1 Like

I had not been, thank you for the help! Definitely gonna reach out there and keep this thread updated on mod progress!

1 Like

Current progress report on Hefty Harvey Mod for Stardew Valley: All vanilla dialogue has been rewritten in a 1st draft, 2nd to come after the game updates to 1.6 to save myself rewriting time! Exploring addon dialogue options, character models are not drawn yet as I plan to work and learn the system to do so myself!

2 Likes

Aha! Another Harvey liker! I wish you the best of luck and maybe we can help each other one day!

1 Like

I’d be open to any help if you did want to assist! Currently I have most the dialogue done but looking for easy templates of Harvey’s Dialogue and Spritesheet to edit easily! Feel free to DM me if you’d like to help out or just chat! :slight_smile:

Currently working on sprite art, studying the sprites vs. how others make their models larger. Info on this limited, first spritework tbh.

In working on the sprites and comparing Harvey to Alex and Shane, I have noticed the following things which are… odd to me?

• Alex and Shane have 3 shades for their skintone as Ive noticed in the beach shots.
    1 outer color for framing
    1 for shadow tone.
    1 for main tone.

• Harvey has 7 colors. For his skintone. That’s more than double what either Shane or Alex got.
    4 colors make up his outer framing, 2 for Face, 3 of them make his body up.
    1 main tone.
    1 shadow tone.
    1 midway tone for shadow to main.

It’s very interesting to me how many more colors Harvey’s sprite uses over the other 2 I’ve been studying, I have only examined one beach sprite so far so I’m very interested to see how this progresses!

1 Like

Here it starts!!!

I have made my first official sprite for Harvey, tell me what you guys think? I wanted to go for a pear shaped build, but still well built chest and I think it looks good! More to come <3

3 Likes

I couldn’t sleep, so I finished out this sprite set and also made a version where he has chubby cheeks! I think it fits him very well!

3 Likes

Another update: Messed around with the lighting, movement and pixel arrangement! The more I fiddle the more I learn and feel proud of the content I’m making its so cool!
So the walking animation part was SO HARD to do for the sideways sprites, using the Trial Version of Aesprite made it easier to check the movement actually worked otherwise I used Paint to make these!

Anyways I hope this is as neat to you guys as it is me! I ended up using what was a sunscreen color Harvey had as a lighting shade and I think it helps amazingly in making movement more apparent!
More to come, stay excited!

2 Likes

Also putting it on the project page now, I am not using AI tools to create this and do not give permission for sampling of my artwork! Much thanks for reading and understanding :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wowza! That’s a soft doctor if I’ve seen one! This is such a good start to Harvey gaining weight! Keep up the pixel art and may we see more of this cute man!

1 Like

I was also wondering what dialogue you have and if you have any heart events set up for him! I wanna know if you need any help with anything!

1 Like

Much much thanks! Currently this is the biggest he will be, as idk about NPC gaining mods ect. But his size does make him larger than Alex & Shane in the SuperSized Batchelors mod so he is quite the big boy!

As of now, the dialogue I had was just simple rewrites of the vanilla dialogue with more flavor for gaining and being a more approachable doctor. I hadn’t done any of the heart event dialogue really, or messed with the idea of adding custom yet but its mainly due to my newness to the scene!

If you know anything about mod creation and specifically how the dialogue modding works, Id love to hear please and thanks! I wanna learn these resources all, but with the 1.6 update coming out I’ll prob work on the pixel art for now and use the dialogue I have currently as 1st draft material!