Suggestions to Expand the Mod (Potential Additions and Add-ons)

Fat burn rate and digestion speed are the same thing. What you’re asking for doesn’t make sense. Digestion speed is kind of a misnomer because you’re never actually digesting anything, it’s just the speed that weight is lost.

Diggestion speed affects how fast you lose fat and how fast you digest npc and players you have vored

What im asking is if they can be 2 different sliders instead of being 1
So i can change the rates separatly

That with the separate sliders for digestion and weight loss will actually come in the next big update.

Nice.
But when is the update?
If you dont mind me asking?

I don’t know when it will come. Can be anything between right this moment and in a few weeks.

I’ve mentioned this in the main thread, but I’d actually like to see more enemies that can inflict weight gain on the player, kinda making your weight as crucial to keep an eye on as your health, just over a longer span of time.

1 Like

Agreed. More WG enemies would be great. Especially ones that don’t just die in two hits like the lard golems.
Some WG bosses would be fun, too, even if it’s just more stuff like the Erchius beams.

1 Like

That would be fun! Tho granted, you do find the golems early on, but I get what you mean.

I’ve also found them on higher-tier planets. Even with increased stats they still go down far easier than other enemies.

Ah, I see. I can’t say I’ve gotten that far, even in regular play.

See I would agree with that but fat sizes are currently super OP. If I get fattened by an enemy (which happens a lot given the sheer amount of enemies with fat guns), I’m literally too tanky to die given the sheer amount of HP and resistances I have. Usually, I just recall to the ship and either reset my weight or grind on a treadmill, depending on how cheaty i’m feeling. Honestly, WG as a combat mechanic would be much more interesting if A: People lost/gained weight much quicker and B: Being too fat can trigger death. I know Dispatch isn’t exactly keen on bursting/death elements, but having such is necessary in order to ensure that WG is a workable mechanic inside of the game. If I knew how to code I’d probably just made a mod for Big Fatties that does just this.

I get that, yeah. The only issue with being massively fat is being to physically big and not being able to move, but that’s on the more extreme side of the spectrum.
Now that I think about it, I just remembered the flesh biomes and how I’d like to see them randomly spawn lard pools instead of just poison gunk.

I play with FU and RPG Leveling. Being fat is a BLESSING with my build.
I barely have any HP due to being a mage, so the HP increase is extremely useful.
Death caused by weight would ruin the mod for me. I don’t exactly feel like this mod is supposed to be fully balanced, just fun.

1 Like

One thing about the reduction of mobility and growing in size can hinder the ability to efficiently deal with enemies, as well as make you an easier target to rake up damage. Defensive boosts are somewhat necessary to ensure death doesn’t become a common pain. As well as gain something in exchange for a lack mobility. And there are so many problems with the idea of implementing death if you’re fat. Even if it was a low chance, the thought of randomly dying just because you’re fat would be the most frustrating thing for everyone. That is not a good means for trying to balance it. Though plans for the next update do intend to change the flat amount of hp per weight size to a percentage off of your max health. So that your armor, and perhaps stats under certain circumstances with mods, will also be important to fit in with the tiered way of progression starbound works.
And introducing enemies that actually can fatten you is at least on the table. Nothing really solid for now or the update that’s coming, but it is considered. It’s a shame that the perfect enemy that already exists in the game has its effects based on lua, otherwise it probably would’ve gained fattening properties by now. The Erchius Ghost on the moons would be much more threatening if their proximity to you also caused you to gain weight.
With that in mind, the first thing will probably doing my own take on giving enemy npcs weapons as I don’t really agree with how that addon was done. Such as making sure it only goes to certain types of npcs, not the entire selection of them. So Miniknog Scientists are likely to use fattening weapons, but escaped prisoners in an abandoned prison would never get their hands on them Unlike the addon, it wouldn’t be given to every npc in such a way that everyone and their families was carrying a fattening weapon. And making those weapons still deal damage so that it doesn’t make enemies useless if players are avoiding weight gain for their characters.

3 Likes

These sound great in my book. I haven’t run into any NPCs with the fattening weapons except for the one guy on the first mission.

Everyone having fattening weapons kind of makes sense. If respawning tech is universal, killing people is merely a hindrance to them. People might carry around WG guns to inflict more permanent consequences on people as to dissuade conflict. Can’t respawn the fat away after all.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t want random deaths myself, since that would be extremely lame. I’d probably just make it so that if the “stuffed belly” bar reaches maximum capacity while your character is at maximum size, your character would die and respawn at base size.

I think it’s also worth mentioning the increased size hitbox as a tradeoff, too, which makes exploring caves and dungeons a real bugger while at larger sizes. Tweaking the HP increases definitely sound reasonable, though, since I find it rather difficult to die at the larger sizes.

As suggested in my original thread post, I would be perfectly happy with tweaks to pre-existing enemies and bosses (Like those in the Erchius facility) to give them fattening properties. It is a shame to hear that the ghost can’t easily be given the trait, though, since that sounds like it’d be a wonderful nightmare to try and deal with on moons.

I agree there, too- It’s an excellent idea in concept, but I ended up manually tweaking the .pak files of the addons so only certain enemies have such weapons.
(Like the cultists, as in my headcanon the Ruin has something to do with all the fattening.) Very eager to see what you come up with, Dispatch. Keep up the amazing work!

Yeah, on my first vanilla run I actually got fattened up to a blob on purpose so I was tanky enough to cheese Asra and the Ruin. Death is overkill in my opinion (hehe), but the tankiness of it should be nerfed a bit.

And of course, @kingsaxatron the idea of biomes, structures and weather sound wonderful, if your inspiration were to come back, I would love to help you with the tedious spritework, or if someone could point me in the direction of a few good tutorials, even do some coding.

1 Like