The Breakfast Chub - Roops' Submission

This is so cool! Thanks for taking the time to make it and share!

1 Like

I don’t think there’s anything I can say that hasn’t been said like twelve times already lol.

This is pretty amazing. :smiley:

1 Like

Great game! I want more like this, that lasts longer! And one question, how many endings can you make?

1 Like

I think this is my favorite submission out of all of the ones Ive played. In fact, I cant stop playing it! It would be amazing to see a sequel or addition to this game. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

That I’m currently downloading this one again is fairly telling that you hit the mark with this entry, Roops.

1 Like

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 360
Writing: 320
Concept/Design 1085
Msc: 175
Total: 21940

Comments:

I kind of expected this game to just be a fairly standard VN but was surprised with what I saw. Very impressed that this was done with RPG maker and I give some kudos for being able to do that. I was also very surprised to see the game had some animations in it and it was nice watching Claire eat. That small thing pushed the game a bit further than most standard VNs. The only thing I can complains about is the fact it does not really have any mechanics. That being said the game feels complete and well done, was a great play.

Kilif Score

Category Total
Art: 280
Writing: 335
Concept/Design 1000
Msc: 150
Total: 21765

Comments:

This was an extremely wholesome game. I had some weird issues getting the game to not crash on me, but none of the other judges seem to have that issue, but when I did get it to work, I really felt invested in the characters. It also let me roleplay a jackass that didn’t instantly kick me out of the game, not a lot of other visual novels invest that much effort into the bad route. But again, you did an amazing job bringing this characters to life. The dialogue felt extremely genuine and by the end I almost felt like I was saying goodbye to a friend I knew. That combined with the atmosphere and the art assets, and you’ve got an excellent game.

Juxtaterrestrial Score

Category Total
Art: 322
Writing: 305
Concept/Design 1056
Msc: 160
Total: 21843

Comments:

I love clair. She’s adorable. I felt awful playing though the get the bad end. The art was well done and I think it fits the style of the experience really well. I love the dialogue. Especially the “best ending” path. It may have been a little indulgent, but I loved it. And ultimately isn’t that why were all here? Indulgence? The framing for it all fit the theme perfectly. Visual novels are not all that interactive, but it seems that there was some chances to jump across different paths so that’s good. The only minor things that bugged me was that the text was a bit slow, so I’d be pressing space to advance the game but then I’d accidentally select an option. Yours isn’t the only game which has that though, so I can’t really blame you. I really liked this project and hope you continue making more!

Total points: 65548

I just wanted to say, congrats on making this awesome game for the Game Jam! I’m hyped to see any future content from you :grin:

2 Likes

First off, let me say that I love this game! It is the best VN style WG game I have ever played so I congratulate you on your effort!

With that I must give some mild criticism & I’d like to share some ideas:

First, while I have never gotten the bad ending myself (I’m too nice to try) I watched it on YouTube & I feel like it is far too rewarding. I feel as though the bad ending should be more punishment than reward, more of a “& you never saw her again” feel as oppose to being rewarded for being a jerk. The bad ending you have now just feels way too unrealistic.

Secondly, I would like to see the best ending have a marriage proposal or a “the 2 of you got married sometime during the one year skip” feel. As of the last time I played, its not bad, but I feel like the best ending should be one where you & her become more than just friends.

I have other thoughts & ideas which are very ambitious, but I will leave it where it is for now & just end by saying that I look forward to seeing any future content you might have in store!

1 Like

I disagree on the bad ending needing to be punishing. From the VNs I’ve read, most of the time the bad endings are very similar in that nothing goes your way and your sad. But seeing the bad ending in Breakfast Chub actually reward and punish the player was an interesting concept (getting to see your boss stuff herself out of spite, knowing that you probably wont see her again after you leave the diner).

But I do understand your critique, and it is valid to prefer the player be punished.

1 Like

I feel like when it comes to this type of fetish game, you would want to reward players for it because some people find teasing and being mean to her as the more enjoyable way to play the game for fetish related reasons. Having an option to take it that route makes the game way more enjoyable for those specific people which I assume make up a lot of people on the site.