The Fleur House - Weight Gain Unity VN

Hi all!

Short time lurker here. I recently found and played Culinary Combat and really enjoyed what I played but was sad to see it was only a demo. Thankfully I do actually have some coding experience so I decided to try my hand at making my own version using unity. Easier said than done, ended up spending more time than I would’ve liked on this “quick project”. Technically this is my second game but we don’t talk about the first :3 As such, expect bugs, tho I did test it a couple times so I think it should at least be playable.

THE FLEUR HOUSE

The Fleur House is a visual novel-lite game with a puzzle minigame which stuffs the girls as you play.
You are the recently hired head chef for the Fleur Manor. The application said lodging was including so you jumped at the opportunity, but as you enter the manor you feel like maybe you’re in over your head.

I didn’t get to make the weight “stages” as granular as I would have liked but oh well, I wanted to get this out sooner rather than later.

If there’s enough interest I’ll think about maybe releasing some more chapters/girls in the future

V1.021 Change Log:
– Added chapter select screen
– Added reset button in pause screen
– Added credit scene
- Should fix the girls not properly resetting between playthroughs
– Tweaked Flan Difficulty
– Tweaked Lavender Difficulty
- No longer spawns three food near the end, gradually increases difficulty over time instead
– Changed Favorite Food and Hated Food timer icons to be clearer
– Edited area where food is “popped”
- Should lead to fewer cases of food popping too soon

48 Likes

Very enjoyable and quick game. I liked the little gameplay loop but I noticed whenever the game restarts both girls have the fat sprites from the previous playthrough. Strange bug aside, I really enjoyed this little game

2 Likes

If it isn’t too hard, could you make a Mac release? On my computer it crashes for lack of DirectX 11.

Amazing game, please don’t abondon it. IMO it might be one of best games here if you will continue working on this thing. I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Welcome @Heavy_Hue to weight gaming. This was a cool little project. The art looks great, the gameplay is interesting. I think the drawing of the lines feels a little hit or miss at times. It took me a bit to realize I really needed start drawing much earlier on the screen and ending much further beyond the normal white boundary lines. As my instinct was to draw from white line to white line which often failed to draw one of the temporary lines. It’s much harder to draw quick lines because of this as well.

Some lines drawn from one of the white boundary lines to the NPC portrait can dip too low and you have some food items that fail to make it to the portrait and count as if the item failed to reach the portrait, even though they are above where the end of the boundary lines end point.

The pink and orange circles were much darker than I expected from the explanation of favorite foods and hated foods so I actually wasn’t sure how to tell what each girl liked or not. It might be good to include a symbol or shape for our friends that have some or complete deficient color vision and won’t be able to tell the difference between the two colors.

Outside of some missing periods and the loop that @Bioshock_God mentioned there weren’t any crazy bugs. It was cool to see something inspired by culinary combat as it’s a shame it was cancelled. If further work or expansion happens on this it would be cool to see more fleshed out interactions like with Flan after her first size up. I like the pop into visual novel/CG scenes that they game has and wouldn’t mind seeing more of that with dialogue instead of all the sizes back to back within the mini game but great job on this.

3 Likes

This game seems really cute and like it has a lot of potential! I really like the art.

I’m going to preface everything else I’m about to say by stating now that I am not good at this type of puzzle. That being said, I was and am trying to give it an earnest try, and I think it currently has some issues.

I was stuck on the first real puzzle, after the tutorial. I was able to get past the first two ‘phases’ of the girl, before the 3rd overwhelmed me and I failed. This has brought me to a couple of thoughts.
-The difficulty ramp feels a bit too steep, not only is more food thrown at you, at a faster speed, but the girls least favorite food also starts cycling. As someone who just sucks at managing all the lines, it’s too much too fast for me to process.
-The beginning portion, especially phase 1, is intensely slow and boring. It makes it a drag to get back to the harder part that I’m actually struggling with. I would recommend making phase 1 take less time if you want phase 3 to be as difficult as it is.
-A restart button from the menu would be great if a mistake early on happens and you’d rather just start from scratch.

I did wind up managing to beat this level. But as is I just think it feels a bit frustrating to replay. Regardless, the games cute and I hope you continue to work on it!

1 Like

It is a good start the art is great and the idea is good it is just that the Puzzle part needs some work as it is a bit hard to draw the line because you have to draw it on top of the food not before the falling food this make it a bit hard but side that it can be a good game.

Could probably be made more clear that you draw the lines across the paths, and not from the exact position of each path. Other than that, it worked fine with either my finnicky double-clicking mouse and touchscreen. (Also, nice to see a wip unity game that runs perfectly on my intel hd 4000).

I do agree with the thoughts on the difficulty for the second girl. For a first version, it does do a good job of giving an idea of how difficult this game could become, but it should probably be toned down a little to give a gentler difficulty curve as more content is added.

As far as people having trouble distinguishing between the liked/hated foods in the top left, i’d suggest just adding colored up or down arrows.

Also, absolutely love the artstyle~
Game overall really just needs some polish and more content - the concept and execution thus far are both pretty great. (although i would like to request the ability to use spacebar to advance text boxes)

1 Like

I think the game has potential- the girls are cute, and the art is good… just…

I can’t handle this gameplay. I have practically zero control over anything and I can’t begin to understand how this is even possible or enjoyable, frankly. I don’t think this one’s for me.

1 Like

I’ve just updated the itch page with the new version. As always, let me know if I made a catastrophic mistake.

I also explain the controls on the itch page better, I kinda straight up forgot to mention some of them lol

Who would’ve guessed that spending hours playing your own game messes with your sense of difficulty. I’ve taken the general feedback of flattening Lavender’s difficulty curve and just making the game easier to replay.

And yeah, thanks for all the feedback so far everyone!

1 Like

Hm, sucks to hear that. Unity tells me that the build is supposed to work with windows/linux/mac so I’m sorry but I really don’t know what to do from my end :frowning:

1 Like

This could very easily become my favorite game on the site! keep at it, you have a masterpiece in the making here!

1 Like

i’m having issues with drawing the lines, they wont connect even though i draw them right

Hiii
yeaa, I didn’t really do a good job of explaining how to draw lines ingame, so yea mb. As others have noted, drawing on the line itself isn’t really great. You can (and should) overshoot when drawing the lines, making sure to go through two “pillars” or default lines.
hope that helps!

1 Like

I’m gonna be honest - I’ve been at this for like fifteen minutes and I really don’t understand this puzzle system at all.

Edit: Uhhh I won Flan by drawing random X’s across the screen repeatedly and now I have NO clue how to win this first real level lol

1 Like

You want everything except for the hated food to go down the central line. Every time there is a bridge between lines, the food will always take it. There’s some wacky stuff that can occur if you make a bridge to a higher point of a line or if you make a bridge from the far sides over, cause they can do that. You can also break all of the bridges you specifically made using the q button and I think rmb does it too. There’s some other wacky jazz to the mechanics, it took me like ten tries to complete the first level after the tutorial…

Honestly I thought the gameplay was pretty fun and i had a good time doing it. The only time I’d have a problem is when two would be right next to each with one being a hated food as it was near impossible to separate them.

I think you have a really nice game here though and i really hope to see more of it

Pretty fun game, I always loved playing this minigame on NSMB DS, cool to see it incorporated into this. Only issues I faced were the aforementioned line drawing boundaries and the fact that food could travel upwards. That certainly makes it a lot more difficult to set up a stream directing the food into the correct line, but I still managed to get through it all first try.

Would love to have a gallery added after each level, it’s pretty tough to keep track of the girls’ in-between stages and the river of food. Otherwise though this is a really promising start, I hope to see this continue.

2 Likes

A good change would be for the bridges to be one way paths. I do not see any good reason as to why the food should be able to go up and down a bridge simultaneously. At this point, I win more because of luck than skill. The lines don’t connect sometimes, and when they do the weird anti-gravity bridge connections actually make things worse. If my bridge is pointed down, things should ONLY go down. And if it connects at an incline, it should only send food up.

1 Like

It’s how ghost leg (the type of puzzle) works. it isn’t physics based.

2 Likes