The Next Big Thing - Stuffing WG RPGMaker Game (Looking for more artists) v0.32 The Doubling Release

aint that the plugin that causes massive frame drops on a lot of devices? even if it’s added I’d recommend making it optional lol

1 Like

Ah, you’re probably thinking of Olivia’s Bright Effects! The plugin here is just a couple of lines, and just moves a still image around, so it should be nowhere near as demanding as that plugin!

It should be easy to make the lighting effects optional though, so I’ll implement them as a toggle-able feature.

Awww it’s a cute lil farm. I wonder what could happen there?

2 Likes

Should probably dim the plugin a little. Looks like after affect of a flashbang

3 Likes

This is a really cool idea! Loving the art, writing, setting, but…

The rhythm game part seems to lag out on me constantly. After a few key presses the events seem to arrive really late. I’ll usually get a couple arrows that feel good, but then I’ll start “missing” arrows: the game doesn’t register a press when I click the key, and instead it will flash red up to a second or two later as if I had pressed the arrow really late.

FWIW I’m running this on a 5900X, so it’s not old/slow hardware causing the issue LOL

Edit: the delay is NOT constant btw. It fluctuates constantly as well. So it’s like super hard to play when this is happening. I’ve noticed it seems to behave worst when there are lots of keypresses in sequence.

1 Like

Hmmm, interesting! Would definitely love to know more about the issue! If you’re comfortable with it, it’d be really helpful and I’d love to see the issue in real-time through a Discord call or something similar! If that’s alright with you, please PM me!

So I’m not really comfortable with a Discord call (sorry!) But I tried to take a screencap of the issue with keypress recording.

I’ll note that:

• I’m pretty bad at rhythm games so there’s some fumbles in there
  • The issue actually seems to be better with the screen capture running?? Maybe the extra CPU load helps :wink:
  • Basically, just take a look at the timing when the overlay logs a new keypress compared to when the red/green flash appears on the screen. This gives an idea of the lag.
  • The worst parts are:
    • The end of the first sequence, you can see the last 4 or so arrows have a decent delay between when the keylogger shows a key and when the red flash happens
    • The end of the whole song, you can see that left is pressed decently before up, but the game seems to register both at the same time, making the left press late.

2021-10-14-19-15-21.7z (8.8 MB)

2 Likes

Gotcha, totally understandable! I actually think you’re running into the same issue that @moonslashx ran into just a few weeks ago, where you’re anticipating the keypresses a little earlier than usual!

In the image below, you can see that the keylogger logs a “left” input before the left arrow is more than halfway into the hit box, which is how RPGMaker processes coordinates (more than half of the sprite must enter the square before the coordinate updates).

So after this left input, the ability to trigger a left input is placed on a cooldown of a few fractions of a second, and in faster, more packed arrow sequences, that would mean potentially missing another left beat after that.

If you don’t mind, could you try once more, but try hitting the arrows “later” than you normally would! That should make sure that the arrows register properly, and I’ve already updated the timing of the song for the next update to have the beat sound when the arrow is just a few pixels further down than in the current build!

In the next update, I hope to make this a little more forgiving, but I’m still limited by the coordinate system that RPGMaker uses and how it updates, so it’s pretty likely that the system will remain just a bit unforgiving :frowning:

1 Like

OH gotcha I didn’t realize there was a cooldown after a button press. I expected the behavior to be that each arrow would flash exactly when you pressed a key: red if misaligned, green if well timed. So seeing “no response” to the keypress followed by a red flash later in time made me think it was processing the event late!

Instead of implementing a cooldown, consider having bad keypresses result in point deductions as well as missed arrows. This way the penalty for a bad key press isn’t a cooldown locking out the key, you just lose points for it. But honestly, I don’t play many rhythm games so I don’t know what’s standard / expected in the genre LOL

1 Like

Most people playing these games aren’t amazing at rhythm games either (you’re not alone!) so the slight cooldown just felt like the most forgiving way to do it! The battle on day two is also just about as difficult as any of the rhythm sections should get, so that players aren’t “skillcapped” out of content, since that would really suck in a fetish game haha

Thanks again for the feedback though, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the game! Will definitely be tweaking the timing of the music to come in a frame or two sooner so that the beats fall on the moment where the arrows are already well within the hitbox!

1 Like

In the words of Yugioh Zexal

“YOU SUMMONED YOUR MOM?”

1 Like

I also found that the rhythm mechanics were a bit underwhelming compared to “real” rhythm games but well I think that’s just a bit of an engine limitation on rpgmaker’s part? I think just either making the game very easy or adding some sort of difficulty option will solve the problem though.

I can’t really articulate what’s wrong with it though.

1 Like

I think a big part of that is down to presentation, which is something i definitely still have to work on! There’s currently no visual indicator, no combo streak, no “oomph” when you hit notes correctly, so it all ends up not feeling very satisfying in my opinion. Probably going to at least make the arrows color coded, and add some mild screen flash/movement

I also think that rpgmaker might make it impossible to force the button presses onto the beat of the song. Which is usually what helps humans hit precise timing windows in rhythm games.

1 Like

Cute game! The rhythm game style is definitely a novel idea and could be really fun! (Nice first song choice too, was surprised to see one I recognized.) It definitely feels a bit “off” right now, the lack of tap effect when there’s no notes left me a bit uncertain if there was any input delay or anything. In my experience both with the rhythm part and the eating part, hitting the button before I would normally seemed to have the best results. I’m not sure if this is just a limitation of RPG Maker or not, but it feels a bit unsatisfying at the moment in truth, I hope it can be worked out, and if not, it’s still fun. I just play too many rhythm games.

Some other general comments, the day system is a neat idea in concept but currently feels a bit under utilized. I know nesting a bunch of events and/or conditionals can be a pain and ugly to sort through, but it would really help if the world changed a bit day to day, or at least after events occur. Example: The dialogue for not going to the market is always the same, regardless of if you’ve already been there or not. You could also use common events and random variable generations to give npcs extra dialogue even if they aren’t going to change day to day. Just stuff to make the world feel lived in.

The quality of the writing itself so far is nice! I sort of hope characters get a bit more development outside of their goals as idols. The games comedic chops so far are alright! I found the beyblade gag to be a simple enjoyable one, I especially liked the subversion of it interrupting the thief. Although admittedly it took me a second to realize that’s what happened.

It’d also be cool to maybe have some more choices, even if minor. After getting the cupcakes I tried to also buy croissants, which I could do, but the game only has one outcome for when you get home that night. It just would have been nice.

I’d also like to mention that your artist choices so far are good! I’m excited to see more of the opponents and changes throughout the game. It’d be really nice to get some non-standard face sprites if possible too, a character like Emily really deserves some more out there expressions I think.

Alright! Sorry for the text wall, I really hope that this isn’t completely worthless but I wanted to share my thoughts since I liked the idea behind your project and feel like there’s some love here. Hope it’s going well!

3 Likes

Glad to hear that you’ve enjoyed what little of the game is currently available! Definitely excited to have people see everything I’ve been working on in the meantime, so hang tight! Also, have this!:

(One considerably larger criminal-thug-gal coming soonᵗᵐ)

I’d also love for this to happen! (It’s kinda my dream for the game to have these) Unfortunately, in order for face images to happen, I would need to partner with an artist who would themselves like to work on the game as well, which hasn’t happened yet :frowning:

It’s hard to assign a price for face images, and most artists are reluctant to work on them, since they take up a bunch of their time, doing repetitive and boring tasks, and they don’t make for very good post-able content on social media, so they see no reason to take my money for them TT Believe me, I would have commissioned custom faces for my game already if there were an artist that had both the will to work on them, as well as the ability to use a style that would roughly complement the style of any of the other artists in the game.

6 Likes

The criminals can also recruit that is the future? :thinking:

1 Like

她不會加入團隊, 但是我們會再見到她! :slight_smile:

希望她有偷菜任務 and of course, we split the profits with her.

I hope the translator worked lol.

1 Like

tried playing on my phone but the ddr style battle is a no go on moblie sadly. but will still like to see where this goes.

2 Likes