The Tower of Gluttony [v1.3] - Text-based WG Roguelike

This!
Let’s spam @Somchu as well, since he is the other awesome dev doing this style of game a.a

Guys! We want more of this!

Uh…yeah, don’t do that. It would be an easy way for people to hate you

9 Likes

I will say that I found Charisma a bit lacking here, outside of some minor discounts.

I know Charisma in RPGs is tokenism at the best of times, however its inclusion as one of only three main stats had me expecting more from it, especially with the prospect of parlaying my way through certain encounters. Maybe I had just gotten unlucky with missing the encounters where Charisma could have applied.

Been able to parlay the queen with a high enough Charisma would have been fun reward for sticking with such a build.

8 Likes

There’s a charisma event

for being too fat and meeting an adventurer, but I kinda just rolled nat 20 on it, so the charisma didn’t matter. lmao

1 Like

Yeah, I found with Agility decreasing with weight gained, while making physical sense in reality, meant that I was investing in it usually to try and offset that negative. So, I ignored Charisma mostly, and focused on the others.

Maybe there could be Armor/Shields as another item to collect, something that does damage reduction maybe? Then that gives a different knob to deal with the negative of the weight gain for getting hit which can be invested in with gold instead?

(Also, should the rat have a picture? I think it’s the only enemy I saw without one.)

It’d also be great, as your inventory gets quite long near the end potentially, that the item description is at the top or using the right-hand side space (at least on desktop). Would make it easier to quickly pull up and compare stats on items when trying to sell in the shop especially without having to scroll up/down.

6 Likes

Update 1.1

The games first official update!

Changelog

• Ability to ‘inspect self’
    • See an image of the player character and text description
    • 10 weight stages
    • (Big thanks to @jupiter for creating the excellent images!)
  • Bad endings when you lose against the bosses or mischievous spirit
  • New weapon type that has a chance to stun enemies
  • New images for enemies that previously didn’t have one (Rat, Mimic, Golem)
  • Slightly nerfed rate that final boss can summon
  • Probably other minor tweaks that I can’t remember

I also want to thank you all for the positive reception of the game and all the great feedback! <3

26 Likes

Really like the added pictures, but I could only get to stage 6 before I won. I’ll have to really work hard at gaining lmao

A really great upgrade that wonderfully addressed the few complaints that us players had. The added scenes were a blast to read.

Though here’s a minor report on a possible bug. I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not, but the final weight stage at around 600lbs will always have the [Inspect self] option accompanied by the [New] sign, no matter how many times the weight is checked.

2 Likes

Just uploaded a patch that should fix that bug
(as well as another bug that would cause the final boss battle to restart)

ok either my luck is VERY bad or trying to play as a weight maxed out character is the least viable strategy. I have failed all attempts either at or just passed floor 10 and I only got past the gastromancer one time after extensive rewind cheesing. It would help a lot if eating enemies healed you more than not at all.

it will be very good to see more images in the future like 700 pounds, 800, 900, 1000 maybe one that it says you’re too fat too move… or one before that it says, your lungs are starting to ache with every step you have or something like that

2 Likes

Not sure what your weapon strategy is, but imo a good sword or multi-strike weapon (dagger, chain, etc) + boosting accuracy is crucial for a high-weight run. Gigantic Slime is the weedout boss for viable runs in my experience

1 Like

I have passed the first gigantic slime encounter every time. I do also generally put points into accuracy so I have a higher chance of eating stuff.

1 Like

Is there a way to limit the size of the pictures, or to fix the buttons in position? The controls are pushed all the way to the bottom of my screen so that, for instance, I have to scroll down to see the “Melee” menu. If I accidentally remove the mouse from that menu, it disappears and the window scrolls up again. Zooming out is a workaround, but then text is smaller and it’s just not ideal.

i think that by eating enemies you need to rise agility… accuracy is for landing more atacks

omg it IS agility… ok that doesn’t make a ton of sense but thats still good to know. I did have a run where I put like two levels into agl and one into accuracy and I STILL lost to the gastromancer, so I don’t feel like my feedback in invalid still.

(edit:)

also I wanna be able to eat the rats! lemme eat the rats. And the mimic tbh. All the non-human enemies.

Agility make sense… Because if You don’t move fast your prey Will run away from You… No?

4 Likes

I won against the final boss, but then it looped and I had to fight her again? Is that supposed to happen?

its my dnd brain talking I think. Grapples are essentially an attack roll that doesn’t deal damage (and usually grappling is a requirement for homebrew vore stuff), so I assumed it functioned similarly. And fwiw it didn’t seem to not function similarly. I was paying attention to my stats and the outcomes of my rolls, not the text on screen that said “hey this is how it works” And to be fair I think if these two things do not line up you might have some tweaking to do w/ your math! I had two solid runs where I put 0 points into agility and I didn’t even notice the difference on the outcome of my eating rolls.

if you take a moment to read it says: roll 19 (for example) to consume (based on agility) or something like that, roll 5 to land an attack (based on accuracy) charm to get cheaper things on the stores