The Weight Romance - A WG Visual Novel made with Ren'Py

Update: Prologue is out now!

You can download the game on the itch page or visit my patreon.

I leave here the last version of the menu screen.

Below is the old post. Most of it still holds true but for more recent details I suggest reading through the thread.

Hi, I have been lurking here for a few days. I was actually quite surprised such a community even existed, but I never really got interested in weight-related games before, though I am part of this fetish since years. Lately I decided to start working on a romance visual novel because I wanted to actually tell a story. Obviously it will involve a lot of weight gain, expansion and feeding contents since that is what I like and what I miss in other games/media. The game is still in a very early stage of development where I am still learning the engine and deciding about core stuff but I figured I could open a thread here so that I could update if anyone is interested and mainly for myself to not get bored of it and track the history. And obviously I hope to get some feedback :smile:

As I said, the game is a classic romance visual novel inspired by famous ones. I am big fan of muv-luv :smile: It will feature:

• Multiple choices leading to 2 routes and 2 different endings (plus small details)
  • Different expressions and weight stages for character sprites
  • I will try to keep the game dynamic with little animations, camera movement and different shots (music is included too)

As for the assets, as of now I generated a decent amount of sprites and backgrounds. Although I don’t mind using ai art here, mainly because I can’t do otherwise since I can somewhat do the coding and the writing but I am not capable of drawing at this level of detail. But I would really prefer to use human made art for characters because I believe one of the main point of art (the same goes for the writing) is actually enjoying doing it.

Synopsis (work in progress): you move to a big city to attend university and start a new life. The day you arrive at the apartment you find a strange sword probably left there by the old tenant. By unsheating it, you cause the appearing of a beautiful kind-of-spirit woman named Yuuna that says she is the conscious soul of the sword. The cohabitation with the spirit blends with the usual university life, as the girls around you start to gain weight and a mysterious plot uncovers.

I look forward to try some other games here too as soon as I have time!

52 Likes

I leave here a screenshot of the game. Keep in mind text is just a placeholder and it is all conceptual work

I share something fun with you. Yesterday I had an exam and met my female colleague after some time we have been working on a project remotely. She mentioned having gained weight and it was true even if not much :smile: The exam went probably bad though :face_exhaling:

8 Likes

Interesting, to say the least. I’m looking forward to where this goes.

3 Likes

I LOVE the artstyle and would love to see your work. I hope you will rise up to the challenge. Good luck! :smiley:

2 Likes

I have been busy since the post so I didn’t really work much on the game but I will do tonight and hopefully in the weekend. Thanks for all the interest!

These are some sprites for Yuuna and Rize (the two main love interests). I am somewhat struggling to keep consistency but got great results so far in my opinion. I already generated four different weight stages for Yuuna (thin-hint of gain-chubby-fat) each with 3-4 different face expressions and clothes (uniform/bikini/other). I leave here a little anticipation :smile:

11 Likes

I wish their faces were more different from each other. Eyes and mouth in particular. Could also vary jawline, how much they blush because anime, typical makeup.
Still, looking forward to the release! Good luck and don’t give up!

1 Like

Yes I know faces are a bit the same except for eyes colour and hair style, but I’ll try to play with body contrast (like the two girls are at different weight stages throughout the story) and as soon as I can afford it I will commission some edits to real artists. I am very conscious about the art style myself :sweat_smile:

I am realizing it’s pointless to go on with AI trying to perfectionate the sprites when a detailed commission to human artist would realize exactly what I want, so I will concentrate on the real game now to make a decent writing too. Assets can be polished/changed later I suppose and I will hear all the feedback after a short demo before going on :smile:

3 Likes

Update: I’ve almost finished setting up the whole project so that I can focus on the writing, but I am still figuring out how to deal with a lot of things since it’s the first time I work on this kind of game/project. Some screens I took earlier:

For Yuuna I think it looks good for now. I have decent assets until the fat stage.

Rize, the other main girl, is still a placeholder I think. I can’t get to generate good sprites for her plus clothes are a pain :face_exhaling:

She is the teacher at the university. While there will be choices only for Yuuna and Rize, leading to a dedicated ending depending on which girl of the two you “liked the most” during the game (of course there will be other little choices), I figured I would still insert other side characters so you can experience some nice side gains :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Anyway, I hope to release a free demo in 1-2 weeks.

10 Likes

this looks amazing, can’t wait to try it out

1 Like

Thank you, it means a lot :smile:

indeed, this is certainly looking quite promising!, i do hope the girls do get really big in novel but i guess time will tell.

1 Like

Yeah, will be a little slow pace but will surely get there

Are the background images also ai or are they stock images?

The backgrounds are ai but I am editing them to add some details

1 Like

Update: Thanks god I passed my exam so I can concentrate more on the game :sweat_smile:

I’ve been working on some UI but only got to finish the main menu as you can see. I really like how the logo came up, but I still need to refine all the menu screens.

And the application icon

Screenshot 2023-06-29 115134

As for the actual game, I’ve been thinking on the plot and that is taking more time than planned but I really want to make a well thought and polished story/game and I am a bit of a perfectionist so it will take time to refine everything. My intention is to release the game completely free on itch (link in first post) when it is ready but as I said I plan to release a little demo here before.

I opened a patreon if anyone is willing to support. There is only one tier for 1 $ / month. I figured I would try this just to increase the game quality in all aspects (assets, music, etc.). As I said the game will be free to play and I am not pushing for support in any way since I would probably need to show something more, plus I am having so much fun and satisfaction developing it even though time is what it is and there’s still a lot to do.

17 Likes

Congratulations on passing! Everything looks very nice so far ^^

4 Likes

Amazin logo, logos are hard!

1 Like

should be in the game an character that start fat, became very fit and go back to fat, just a sugestion but would be amazing

1 Like

Nice idea, I will probably do something similar to what you’re thinking for a side characters. I am also always a fan of “body swap” concept where a character starts thin and her friend is fat, then the fit one ends up putting on weight and the fat one loses some. So expect some of these dynamics :wink:

1 Like

I am working toward finishing the demo which will cover the prologue of the story. I leave here a little teaser about a side character. Here you see there are three main weight stages but it will vary for main characters and because of story reasons. I will try to add a little more for someone (probably one in between fit and chubby and one after fat).

I won’t spoil too much here about the story but I confirm there will be two main love interests (the two girls in the cover) and some more side girls. The blonde one is a former model which now works as a university teacher, while the other side characters would be university students with at least one more weight gain. There will be main choices affecting your current level of affection with a girl and minor choices that will unlock some weight gain bonus scenes with side characters in it.

The story will span from the start to the end of summer and will be a bit slow paced because I like it that way and overall it will feel more like a kinetic novel where your choices will increase a hidden score of affection toward one of the two main girls. The story will branch only near the end depening on which you “fell in love” with. I estimate it to be about 10 hours for the final game.

If you have any suggestions about the “fetish” aspect of it, feel free to tell me.

10 Likes