The Weighting Game - WIP

The latest demo is Patrons only at the moment. The previous demo was made available to everyone last month. There should be a link on the Patron page. Jan 17, I think.

You are absolutely correct. Thank you for your help.

The Mega link says the download is no longer available.

Weird. No idea how that happened, but it should be working now.

1 Like

@tiggertoo Short question. You wrote on your Patreon that the demos for the non-paying people will get published when the next version for the patreons comes out, right? Example: now is Feb Demo online but locked, then you publish let me say the march demo, and with that you unlock the Feb demo? Did I understand it right? Or is this the way after the next demo?

The original plan was to do monthly demos… but with the amount of work I’m now doing on each new version of the game, this simply wasn’t sustainable. So, each new version is now bi-monthly (ish… I’m hoping 6 weeks, more or less). As there’s no longer a definite date for each demo, it’s simplest just to release the public version once the next Patreon version is ready.

As of the next demo, there’ll just be a version number, rather than having a datal name :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@tiggertoo I don’t know if I’m too far in the game, but I noticed that when Alice visits the character at work and the character asks if she wants a donut she is very uncertain about how she looks (at the normal events she is very happy and doesn’t work out very much ) when I comfort her that she hasn’t gained that much and it looks good on her she answers: when you say this I want one (or something like that). But in the picture which follows she sits there and hold just a coffee? Shouldn’t she hold a donut ? I play the Jan Demo an I am around Day 50.

Pretty sure I found and fixed the coffee/donut issue in the Feb version. Hard to remember for sure when I’ve been working on the version after that for the past fortnight :stuck_out_tongue:

As for her responses, they’re all work in progress. In all the scenes, not just this one. Some work well, some still need tweaking. They’re on the massive to-do list for the forthcoming version.

Future demos will give you a message when you’ve hit the end of the tested content :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just posted a few sneak peeks on the Patreon page.

Patreons get to see a few images from the version that I’m currently working on; non-Patreons have a few sample images from the Feb demo :slight_smile:

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=6914908

2 Likes

Looks great! Looking forward to trying it out.

1 Like

Anyone remember the above pic? I posted it back in mid-October when I’d just started working on the game. At the time, it was going to be the cafe for the game, but as I said at the time, the scene looks a bit too much like a restaurant, so it never got used.

Fast forward four months, tweak the horrible brown tablecloth and…

Yep, we now have a restaurant scene. Good excuse for Alice to dress up! Better get working though. That sort of place isn’t cheap…

6 Likes

If it will be expensive, I hope it will improve her mood, so she don’t want to go to the gym for a day… or two… :sweat_smile:

As it’s costly, it’ll be optional. But… it will put a big smile on Alice’s face.

2 Likes

And… with it being costly, I really should warn the player beforehand how much it’s gonna cost.

Which brings me to the subject of currency. I dont want to use real money like dollars, pounds, euro etc., so can anyone think up a cool fictional name for a unit of currency? I’ve been trying for the last ten minutes and can’t think of anything that sounds right!

You could try a fictional currency name generator for inspiration, or a list of fictional currencies that have been used in various media. Or taking a different tack, you could look at a list of current or historical real-world currencies, and just use a variation on one.

On the subject of expenses and making money, any chance of getting a promotion or raise at work, or finding a better paying job, or some other source of income, or something? Or alternatively, more cheap events (to hopefully include food). I suppose I just need to budget better, but I tend to bump the limits when keeping Alice extra well fed some weeks. Though I suppose that managing that balance is just part of the game, and I should be more patient and feed her up over longer periods.

3 Likes

I haven’t yet decided on where the income part of the game is going to go. A job change is highly unlikely, but a promotion and/or wage rise is a possibility. The finance part of the game still needs some balancing, I think. Anyone else having cashflow problems? If this is a common issue then in the short term, I may just bump up the hourly pay slighly.

And a currency name generator?!? Is there anything that doesn’t exist on the internet??? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In the February demo I was definitely having cashflow problems. I foresee Alice’s appetite increasing making daily breakfasts at the Cafe unsustainable with a 7-hour workday. Possibly even with 8.

ETA: And this new Restaurant thing would probably rip a hole in my wallet = P

The restaurant only comes up at weekends… so not that much of a money burner :stuck_out_tongue:
Easy fix to the cashflow probs. I’ll up the hourly pay a bit. How does an extra five (whatever currency I eventually decide upon) sound?

(Wish real-life pay rises were that bloody easy!)

Aye, I could attest to having cash-flow issues when Alice’s appetite amps up and each cafe visit is 30 a pop but I assumed, as others have also surmised, that this was the added challenge of keep her well-fed. The long stretches where she "feels fat"and stays in the gym are a mixed blessing as you can just crank out more hours in the office - which is an odd thing to say in a game but hey ho ^^;

One thing I noted is that working harder doesn’t seem to have a real benefit other than the convenience of saving you from clicking twice: you spend double hours and energy to earn just double pay. If you applied the income boost here then it would add some needed value to this option.

I know you said you wanted to use a fictional currency but using pounds could be a fun double-entendre type of thing since it is a weight gain game. If you wanted to distinguish it from the British currency, you could call it “pounds-gold” once or twice.

In general, paper currency was formed because it was inconvenient to just store however much gold you earned so you could barter with it, so currency having a name associated with weight wouldn’t be weird. Other alternatives would be currency called grams, kilo, etc.

2 Likes