Tramp 0.15.5 2023-06-15

Yaffaif is definitely a cool engine, but out of those 100s of options, I’m only smart enough to comprehend about 9. As such ren’py forcing you to stick to 9 massively improved engagement and enjoyment for me.

Although randomly clicking all the buttons in yaffaif was a ton of fun and having a beer stained t-shirt get soaking wet when you fall in the river is really nice nuance when I finally found the button to click to read about it.

Heck, I’m mostly just writing this post again so more people see this thread and play this game! Not having any art might scare people away but it’s actually like a really nice experience and it feels like a lot of the stuff you learned for writing descriptions for yaffaif was directly used in a scaled down way to improve tramp? Is that an accurate statement?

edit, sidenote, offtopic: @yaffaif can I get a tldr on the gigantic dream world with the hall of the mountain king? I essentially turned the game off at that point when I was lost in an infinite maze outside reality :slight_smile:

2 Likes

man only main problem i see with this game is how repetitive the early game is unless that’s been changed?

either way it takes a while with nothing much happening in between if ya feel me

I can understand that. Yaffaif is just much more complex with a lot of state for each character, and simulating a world giving a huge amount of freedom, and many nuanced outcomes - like the stained t-shirt you mentioned.

Tramp makes a few variables do a lot of work and is really focused on what’s needed to develop the characters, explore the story and nothing else. There’s no inventory, dress up, combat, quests, death, or other RPG style elements, and nothing happens off-camera. It’s just … tighter, and I like that format too.

I think it’s more that they share a common heritage. I actually just like writing, both descriptions and dialog, and that’s really how Tramp became a playable game and not the tech-demo that I’d originally intended. The characters got away from me!

It’s much easier to write stuff for Tramp as everything is known: the PC is always female and human, the NPCs never change. For Yaffaif I have to write, and then put in substitutions that are run on the fly to it can adapt to whatever has befallen the PC and NPCs, so you get stuff like this:

{ss}{talk,$0,$1}What have{obj,$1}got for a{rnd,3,0,hungry,1,starving,2,growing}
{if,$0.looksFemale,"girl","man"}?
{se}{narrate,$0}{subj,$0}{verb,ask}{obj,$1}.

The text code has been … interesting to develop. Though there were times when I wished RenPy’s text substitution was as complete as Yaffaif’s. If it were it wouldn’t be translateable though.

That’s Advent or Colossal Cave Adventure, which you’ll find many guides for online - more specifically it’s the “350 point” version, but is still being worked on. It’s both an homage to the original text adventure and an engine test. Like the other dream sequences it’s optional; you can just wait until you wake up.

5 Likes

I like how simplistic and how easy Tramp is because it basically like auto does it for you but you get to choose the options without having a million questions on how to play the game

2 Likes

Why do I seem to be eternally stuck on the starting weight? No matter how much I eat or progress it doesn’t change.

1 Like

you need to gain like i dunno 10-12lbs before you get access to a scale, so you’re not stuck at all, that’s what the question mark means next to your weight. it means you haven’t been weighed so you don’t get any feedback yet.

3 Likes

How do I get to a scale? I’m on day 23 and been eating quite a bit most days, it just take that long?

1 Like

If you’re really that curious you could always restart and just play on debug mode, that way you can see your weight any time you want… but yes unlocking the scale takes quite a lot.

1 Like

theres gonna be art :slight_smile: how long till it happens

cant wait for the descriptions for tryin everythin on at all weights and pix since you said its happenin lol

4 Likes

That’s good to know. I was concerened that there are still too many choices!

Tramp has a fairly realistic approach to weight gain, so it takes a while to gain (and lose) weight, at least at the start. Eating as much as you can and avoiding exercise will produce notable results in a couple of weeks. If you are jogging or going on long walks (which burn more cals than jogging) then it will slow this down, or even reverse it. Gaining in Tramp isn’t inevitable and can be avoided/reversed with some effort.

@namad has the measure of this. Once the pc notices the changes in their appearance they’ll have access to a scale and use it each morning updating the stats top right.

If you’ve reached day 23 without it triggering you’ve probably been exercising too much, or been really unlucky with the random events. It could of course be some kind of bug - if you haven’t been walking/jogging, please let me know.

I’d hoped to do some over the Christmas holidays, but it didn’t happen - I was really unwell on a new medication. Also why it’s taken me a while to reply to these.

I should point out that asking for progress etc. is against the rules of the site (please check the FAQ in the “burger menu” top right). Rest assured if there is an update I will post about it here!

6 Likes

Hello, thank you for the reply. I have gotten a lot further now, especially since I just started playing it again the other day and am well past the part of acquiring the scale. Been really enjoying it. Great job so far!

1 Like

i know alot who got sick cause of christmas and i was askin more as an excited joke then a serious question…

1 Like

Is anyone else getting a “Headers Error” whenever they try to unzip the file. It keeps happening for both the new and old versions. It allows me to open the games folder but it won’t let me open the game itself.

1 Like

Downloaded this earlier today, has been great so far!

2 Likes

sounds like you’re browsing the zip folder in windows explorer rather than giving a command to unzip it.

1 Like

Just want to compliment you on this beautiful gem of a game, which is one of my favourites on the site. What especially impresses me is that it seems to have just grown organically out of your experimentation- This type of purely text-based well written game is perfect for me, and having my own imagnination fill in the visual gaps works much better than some bad pixelated graphics (sorry RPG-maker…!) - Sometimes less is more, and I love some of the writing and how it shows you becoming more gluttonous, for example, when it states something like “you already ate 3 times today…” and you can just answer “And?” , simple but brilliant.

I know that this is not your main focus, but man, I really would love it for you love for you to expand on it sometime. But I am already very thankful for what you put together.

7 Likes

Absolutely agree. If images can be added in an effective way it would be an amazing addition to the game, but I almost prefer the text alone.

7 Likes

That’s good to hear, and thank you!

I’ve not heard of anyone else having this problem. I’d try making sure your locale isn’t set to Japanese or similar and using a good free open-source extractor like 7zip.

I’m glad you like it!

Thank you so much! I honestly never thought it would amount to much really.

This has been mentioned a few times, and I’ve been giving it some thought. I’ve been surprised that a “visual” novel without pictures would work at all, and Tramp has more text on the screen than most, but then I was reflecting on the ones I personally enjoy, and it’s not down to the art (even though I do enjoy that), but the writing, game play, and scenarios. Inadvertantly, my “I’ll figure out the art later” plan seems to have made the game better as I can’t rely on it to convey stuff.

I really was in two minds about the PC’s internal narration and whether it would work, so I’m glad you liked one of those! Again, I think it fell out of there being no art. A classic VN leads you towards a “talking heads” situation: one or more NPC characters on screen talking to each other or a (often unseen) PC (if there even is one), and everything exposed through dialogue. Freed from that, Tramp’s PC is happy to wibble on about her own thoughts and attitudes even when she’s alone.

The gluttony thing is intentionally slow and progressive; it takes several hundred days to max out her greed - going from odd moments of excess to a true glutton (should you persue that path). It’s not forced though, it comes from the player’s choices.

I’m working on how to do images, but have been rather unwell after starting on some new meds. I imagine most want to see the PC change, but I’m tempted to add a toggle so you can choose to just see backgrounds, and leave the PC’s form to the imagination for those that prefer it.

See next post and the new link in the OP…

4 Likes

Are there new weight gain stages?

And can I use an old save file from an old version?