Untitled Farming Game

Okay, did quite a bit of working redoing the save system so that it actually works properly and saves the more complicated data. As a bonus side effect, saves should be transferable between versions now!

Link to Download

• saving will now automatically turn off planting mode
  • changed shop numbers when buying and selling to white for visibility
  • overhauled saving system to actually save necessary data
  • overhauled event system to work with new save system
  • fixed shop overlay crashing game (hopefully)

EDIT: Changed the shop overlay AGAIN to try and stop crashes, I think this one will stick.

8 Likes

whenever I try to use any shop in 0.32, it crashes and returns

############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object par_shop:

Variable obj_shop_rebecca.dark_area(100325, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_par_shop_Draw_64
############################################################################################

stack frame is
gml_Object_par_shop_Draw_64 (line -1)

the obj_shop does vary by whos is shop you try to open

1 Like

Hey tested the new update, the game isnt saving characters appearance changes, so if i change my looks when i return im back as a default lego and it also affects others level of fatness as they reset. Aside from that what has been planted and inventory and currency are all saved correctly. Thanks for your hard work.

1 Like

I havenā€™t tested the saving yet, but so far there have been no crashes.

Found the problem, I didnā€™t finish up the continue button on the main menu. You should be able to manually load the right save until I get this fixed.

2 Likes

so after playing this update (a bit to much) I have found some strangeness

• picking up plants is bound to the e key and not the interact action, so you canā€™t rebind it (also controls arenā€™t saved)
  • you and NPCs can walk while the dialog is open after giving them a gift (I think NPCs can move while the item menu is open)
  • the fatness doesnā€™t update until you pass a scene transition (though that might be a deliberate choice)
  • if you are the fattest level you canā€™t talk to NPCs (or your table) from the sides

here are some quality of life improvements I could come up with

• the plant you are planting could be highlighted (or the plant itself could be used instead of a colored block) so it is easier to know what plant you have selected
  • doors at the bottom of the screen should probably have some indicator so you know they are there (like a mat or a siluett)
  • saving doesnā€™t give any feedback that it has actually saved, just having something so we know that it registered the button press would be nice

looking forward to what is to come next

5 Likes

So, does every NPC have a preferred gift? Because iā€™ve given Beatrice a couple things and her dialogue hasnā€™t changed

1 Like

Yes, everyone has foods they like and hate, but most are just neutral. Have you tried honions?

1 Like

Nope, I figured it would be the food product stuff, mostly sweetroot, she seemed sour, so I figured yā€™know, sweetroot would make her sweeter. Probably bad reasoning, but it made sense to me at least lol

1 Like

I tested loading the game, it reset what my character looked like, but thatā€™s not a huge deal. It didnā€™t change any of the NPC characters, but I saved my game when they were out of shot. One strange quirk that did happen is that my time in the top left reset, it now says the first of spring year one which I assume is the time when the game starts when you start a new file.

Edit: The date hasnā€™t acutally hasnā€™t changed the entire time Iā€™ve been playing. So I suppose thatā€™s a thing that hasnā€™t been implemented yet. :man_shrugging:

More QoL and bug fixes. A big thanks to @Yamhead for most of these, I keep forgetting that not everything Iā€™ve memorized may be intuitive.

Link to download

• player weight now degrades slowly over time
  • continuing from the title screen will now properly load player attributes
  • updated some textures
  • including a light coming from interior doors so you can tell where they are
  • fixed not being able to interact with things from the side at higher weights
  • picking up items is now bound to the interact key instead of only E
  • control settings are now saved
  • NPCs no longer move while you are choosing gifts for them
  • selected crops are now highlighted on the bottom of the screen in planting mode
10 Likes

I havenā€™t found any bugs in this version, aside from the usual, ā€œchanging your appearance resets what you are wearingā€ bug which I think was always there and probably is not a huge priority.

getting plants out from the ground is still bound to E instead of interact (picking them up is bound to interact) and for some reason in it says that interact is bound to I and inventory is bound to E (they are still bound like normal). you can fix the inventory one by just binding it to I and interact you have to bind it to something else first. you can also open your inventory at the pause screen (also the plant screen but it doesnā€™t show until youā€™ve closed the pause screen).

you can plant things while in the pause screen and if you have a conversation open itā€™s still there when you pause and functions as normal (if you are on the gift screen you just close it as normal)

edit: both you and NPCs can still walk after giving them a gift (or cancelling) while the dialog box is open

2 Likes

Iā€™ve let the game run overnight, and i havenā€™t lost a single sprite of weight.
Left it somewhere in the middle ranges of size.

Have you moved into a different room yet? weight doesnā€™t update until you change rooms.

I have now had it running for an hour or 2 and I havenā€™t lost weight (and walked into different rooms)

Even MORE QoL updates and bug fixes, as well as refining player weight loss.

Link to Download

• player gets hungry faster at higher weights
  • player weight degradation actually works
  • player weight degradation is faster at higher weights
  • player calories (hidden variable that determines when you gain/lose weight) now capped, but with enough buffer to be able to prevent weight degradation
  • lowered base weight degradation amount
  • items on ground now destroyed when loading
  • quantity selection in shops now increments/decrements automatically after holding the button for half a second
  • quantity selection in shops now automatically caps at the amount of money/product the player has
  • shops now adhere to maximum stack sizes when the player is buying from them
  • added a sound to indicate a successful save
  • pausing now pauses dialogue and disables inventory
  • interact and inventory keys now display properly in control settings
  • neither player nor NPCs can move when talking
11 Likes

Awesome!
Thanks for all the work in such short time!

Edit: Unfortunately, i have not been able to regain that slender physique that i started out with.

Started a new game, got mid-sized again and left it running for 20 minutes before i got back to it.
Changed the room, but i was not any thinner.
Atleast, not untill i had some rotato chips, once. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

as knerf said it seems like you donā€™t lose weight. I let the game run for a couple of hours (and one hour with the character walking around in case it was tied to player movement) and didnā€™t get any slimmer. I also tried eating some stuff in case the sprite only updates on weight gain but it seemed like I had lost no weight. all other changes seem to work as intended

2 Likes

So far this game is so awesome, probably one of my favorite projects iā€™ve been following on this website.

If the game needs more writing added and youā€™re finding it difficult, donā€™t be afraid to reach out for help. Iā€™m sure a lot of people on this website (myself included) would be eager to pitch in, maybe through a collaborative google doc so people could know what needs to get written?

Some suggestions: It would be cool if the NPCs (once more are added) had random repeatable ā€œbring (random item) to this character please!ā€ quests that would reward food or bits of cash. This would give players a reason to run around the (currently) pretty empty map and see those awesome running animations, as well as having something to do while waiting for food to grow.
Also, if you ever do decide to add more weight stages (and I really hope you do), I for one would love to see some moreā€¦ ridiculous sizes, kinda like in the later stages of SFRPG (even if this would cause collision issues, I donā€™t think most players would mind). Iā€™d imagine that at those sizes the player would simply be too big for clothes anymore so hopefully that would cut down on the amount of sprites needed.

5 Likes