Untitled Farming Game

Slightly bigger update this time. I think the next thing I’m going to be doing is updating the spritework so there are 0 stock assets after this. I’m pretty happy with the functionality of the game at the moment, pretty much all the systems are in place to make quests and such, so now it’s only a matter of content. I’m sure there are plenty of bugs to fix and features I’ll be thinking to put in down the line though.

-made seeds a requirement for planting
-made all crops sellable and all seeds buyable
-added Frank for all your tutorial needs
-changed the layout of the farm room to be closer to its final form

Link to Download

4 Likes

Oh, It seems nice!
It also reminds me of platform WIP, if I remember correctly

Is there a way to get seeds for free at the start? You can’t buy any since you start with $0.
That’s my only complaint about the prototype.

1 Like

I’ll probably start the player out with a little money in future updates, but for the time being it’s possible to get some rotatos from Sally to sell.

Thanks!

some bugs.
seems doing the color section of the change player appearance crashes the game

1 Like

looks interesting but I do hope there more to the weight gain. seems a little light there to me.
a farming game you could go to the size of a house or something.

1 Like

also as farming game could cattle be a thing at some point?

Yeah, I’ve been working to fix that one, hopefully I’ll have quashed it in the next update.

I don’t want to go too fast with the weight gain, I always preferred a slower gain personally. Unfortunately that means way more sprites to get to larger sizes, and each weight level is around 30 unique sprites for the body alone, and then another couple hundred for the clothes. I am planning on adding more levels eventually, but they’ll be my lowest priority for quite a while.

Maybe :wink:

ok thats cool I didn’t mean anything about Slow weight gain. farming games often are relaxed so it works but it could easily allow larger sizes eventually but yeah I can see it being a lower priority till you get more game-play done and actually make the clothing in the first place

Speaking of getting the clothing in…

Time for the clothes update! This one took a bit, but I believe I have at the very least the foundation for any outfits I’d like to add, so future clothing changes would go a lot faster. As it is, the player character has something around 3000 unique sprites now (although most of the clothes are pretty small). It got a bit monotonous at the end, so in the future I’ll only be doing one outfit at a time to avoid burnout.

I’ve also disabled the use of debug mode, since I’d like to see what people think about the time it takes for crops to grow. Don’t worry though, Sally feels like sharing now so you’ll grow along side her.

Other than that I haven’t changed anything else, still working on ensuring changing colors doesn’t crash the game.

Link to Download

EDIT: Did a quick fix to stop the wardrobe from crashing the game.

1 Like

when I try to use the closet the game crashes
edit: also plants growth resets when you go to the town

god I have a over active imgination becuase I just has a bunch of ideas for this. But I don’t know how long you plan for this game to be

It’s a bit hard to judge how long the plants should grow since there is nothing else to do. but if you have other things to do I think it’s fine (the fastest plants might be to fast then). how much other things do you want the player to do?

I’m planning on having plenty of other things to do, mostly dialogue, fetch quests, that kind of thing.

Another visual update, plus fixes to a couple bugs. Hey, all the stock assets (unless I missed something) are now gone though!

• fixed crops not displaying growth stages after leaving the room properly
  • fixed Frank’s dialogue pathing incorrectly.
  • added real crop/inventory sprites
  • added new building sprites, no interiors yet though
  • changed the shop background

Link to Download

3 Likes

I can’t get debug mode to work. I press 0 and nothing changes.

Yes, debug mode has been disabled. the original post is there for posterity, but the latest one is the one that has up to date info.

so how do you gain weight now

Right now you gain weight alongside Sally when you give her sweetroot.

1 Like