Vale City Arcade

I made all items cost $1 by editing the Items.json file. Even then, this game is rubbish. Why do my opponents get to have 2 moves for every 1 move I have? How is that fair? Instead of making the fights actually challenging, you make them artificially challenging by putting me at a disadvantage beyond my control? jesus christ.

2 Likes

this is not what I have experienced in the battles. although I struggle to comprehend what determines how many turns who gets. sometimes I get more turns than my opponent and sometimes the other way around.

I do wonder if itā€™s speed related, but ultimate shape is supposed to be a -90% speed debuff yet they still get plenty of turns, so I really have no clue.

I think the combat system is fairly terrible, and confusing, and makes no sense, but your complaint i think is technically untrue, although it points more to the fact no one has any idea how the game works, which is imo the real problem, not number of turns specifically but just confusion around all the mechanics overall.

1 Like

Maybe what you said about speed is true, but that shouldnā€™t be how a turn based system works imo. If I play Uno, I get the same amount of turns as my opponent, just because i can throw cards onto the table faster than my opponent doesnā€™t mean I get more turns

Nice to see the problems still exist in the sequel of it going at a glacial pace

3 Likes

And to be honest I think itā€™s worse. Like a battle in the original game took me like ten minutes at most. Which ainā€™t the quickest but I could handle.

Here? It took nearly a hour to deal with one.

1 Like

Played two rounds, and I have to take a pass on this one, which is a shame since I enjoy the art. But thereā€™s better art out there, and thereā€™s plenty of games on this site that donā€™t feel like they want to punish the player.

1 Like

The speed of characterā€™s do determine when they get a turn and how many turns in a row they get, so you might have noticed that AI proprieties speed buff foods over other foods. I donā€™t know if the math works out but each stack of food you eat that gives a % stat increase will give that same percentile each time they eat it, so if an item give 20% speed per item they will get that buff each time they eat it so it not a 100% for eating five of them but 20% applied each time to their stats

how long the matches are depends on did you change the animation speed? default is slow as hell, if its just how long it takes you to win then try to change your team i know once I beat one week I choose to unlock Lana and I was just mopping the floor with her and two butt characters and beat the vampire boss in no time at all, so think of how your teams are built and find what works for you

Yes the AI cheats and is very hard, try to change the settings to make it easier

and for artwork, not many games have art this good that they didnā€™t straight up steal or are using generic art assets, this art was commissioned just for this game and are thus unique.

My only complaint for this game is that thereā€™s no incentive to play, yes you can unlock more characterā€™s and some bonuses but other then that whats the point, everything you need to win is available at the start, and every item you have or character you level up resets each week so why bother. Thereā€™s an implied story but it really doesnā€™t show its self except at the very start and therefore no reason to keep playing

1 Like

vale city has always been fascinating to me. like it clearly has a lot of work and time put into it but the dev just absolutely refuses to listen to critique. original vale city was incredibly grindy and slow and the battles could go on a little long but in all the updates to the game they never improved on this. now in this game, instead of improving the battles and making them go faster, the battles can take up to AN HOUR for some which is absolutely insane by ANY gameā€™s standard. you can kill sephiroth more than once in that time. but whatā€™s always been most interesting is the obsession with anticheat. itā€™s a single-player rpgmaker FETISH GAME but for some reason the dev canā€™t stand the idea of someone cheating to progress. why??? for what reason??? it genuinely kind of blows my mind.

12 Likes

My problem is the Battle are slow, because you have to eat to get points to attack then the next turn you can attack butā€¦then you use all your points attacking so you have to eat again for the next turn it because a Evil cycle and to make things worst your opponent is getting there life back as you are eating I miss pre-eating before a fight.

1 Like

Also I know cheating is bad and can break a game but when I cheat I want to beat it quick or I have all ready play it before and want to have some fun with it.

My memories is a bit dusty but Iā€™m pretty sure there was a punch or some attack that cost no energy in the original vale city.
But for some reason they removed it for some reason in here? That only leads to stalemates which wasnā€™t a problem in the original. At least for me.

I agree that needing to have BP from eating is a stupid thing for just a basic attack, sure have that for the special attacks but for a basic punch just have it cost nothing, i actually had an early run where I was soft locked because I didnā€™t buy enough food and ran out of BP and so did the AI and the battle never ended so I had to close the game and start that fight again

Well put. Although the game is in the early stages and added content is on the way, thereā€™s a lot of refinement to the playstyle from the OG thatā€™s for a certain crowd. There are plenty of other games with the inverse (excellent immersion, tedious combat) due to lack of playtesting, and despite the SMT franchise being the king of turn grabs and OHKOs the influences are apparent, which are good for quarter munchers. Thereā€™s still plenty of meta to abuse, which can be fun in its own way, and the dev just put in save rollover so itā€™s not deliberate trolling like IWBTG. In fact, the devā€™s discord is doing a good job answering questions so you can ask him yourself why he did these things.

That said, hereā€™s a few tips:

• The best teams have all three types due to the randomization of the enemies, but of the 2 bosses (so far) Charlotte is a belly type, and Alina changes type depending how fat she is. Not all characters have belly attacks now, so ass characters have a buff, but if you donā€™t need the speed or can handle boob enemies fine you can just choose someone else.
  • Contracts are key to getting better starting points, much like a roguelike. First contracts to go for (if you like your character selection, that is) is the cash upgrades, then go for food donations and/or apples. Characters who are usually trash (like Lana) also have item sets that give you good food stocks, so keep an eye on which food items are most important.
  • Guard break has been changed from ā€œusing a stronger elementā€ to ā€œusing any break skillā€, which causes the enemy to lose a couple turns. Paired with a throw, their defense drops dramatically.
  • Green apples are more cost effective healing after a certain point in LP.
  • You get 3 skill points starting each time. The meta changes depending whoā€™s the boss, but some characters turn from ā€œdecentā€ to ā€œgreatā€ with tacking on skills.
  • Filling medication is important with no other food options available, is cheap, and gets better the more you level up. After you get to max thereā€™s little need to eat for BP, so you can save money doing that.
  • Green noodles are the cheapest option to restore LP, only downside is losing attack, which only affects bodyslams. Blue noodles reduce defense for bodyslams, but is good bloating material.
  • Isabella, Nadija, and Miah (so far) have feeding skills that bypass HP and give one unit of food each turn. Good when leveling up fast, and Nadija and Isabella can sneak buffs while doing it.
  • Ultimate pill is overrated, the pill doesnā€™t last long enough for the match, and unless you have the pill expert skill which is costly, slows you down too much.
  • Much like the OG, perfect shape is affected by BP preservation skills and smartwatches, so you can use it for as low as 300BP, and go up to 600BP. You lose perfect shape when you go below 500BP which loses some buffs, but as long as you donā€™t go below perfect shapeā€™s cost with a BP preservation trick you get free BP each time.
  • Best EXP-rich foods are (disgusting) cakes, fries, and burgers. Fries are easier to consume solo, so have them on hand in round 1.
  • Even the best fighting games have tier lists, and this is no exception. Miahā€™s only downside is that she canā€™t use meds, but with blue noodles bloating is easy, and she gets perfect shape at level 5. She gets the super hungry and preserve energy skills, so by the time you level up her to 3, she can perform breast feeding which gives LP, BP, and EXP. Basically, causing trickle down economics where she eats (or at level 5, just cycles in perfect shape) and shares her bloat as free EXP. Sheā€™s also the best character to heal other units.
  • Lana can change stances to change her shape, at the cost of being vegan. Force feeding still works on her to level her up quick, but she has lower stats and lower stomach capacity. Nadijaā€™s a good support for her.

Using these strategies, itā€™s possible to level all characters to max in the first round, and stunlock the bosses. Higher difficulties donā€™t give any bonuses, that my only complaint to unlock more content. Balancing TBD.

4 Likes

waitā€¦ active skills ā€¦ some say [special] and some say [normal] I had assumed s.attack controlled [special] actives and [normal] active attacks were using the attack statā€¦

are you saying both normal and special attack active abilities are controlled by s.attack and regular attack is worthless?

really? that seems almost like a bug if true (because it makes that one noodle amazingā€¦)

Boob, belly, and ass attacks (afaik) run off of special attack, at least in the OG game where if you equipped the right attack item, punching would demolish weaker enemies with no BP cost, but not affect the 3 Bā€™s attacks. That could be reason why bodyslams cost BP now at half the rate of other skills, but I havenā€™t delved into the code yet.

Which does raise the question, ā€œwhy arenā€™t there more normal attack skills?ā€, but having a neutral skill being as powerful as the others would make the balancing OP.

what youā€™re saying doesnā€™t really seem to fit with my understanding of this game.

thereā€™s bdamage/battack which is active ability damage, then thereā€™s [normal] and [special] so I would imagine bodyslam uses attack but not battack/bdamage whereas an active ability that says [normal] would use battack and attack and an active ability that says [special] would use sattack and battack/bdamageā€¦

of course you could be right i suppose and an active ability that says [normal] uses sattack but targets defense instead of sdefenseā€¦

itā€™s quite unclear to me for sure though either way.

Any examples with characters? Only skill I could think of is Caroline and her fishtail attack, which I can look into.

Edit: nvm, Iā€™ll do some research how this works

as far as iā€™m aware the example is every character, although iā€™ve only played with 5 so far.

I am pleased to see someone finally advocating for the game. Iā€™m never keen on forming a one-sided hate brigade on someoneā€™s labour of love, so at least now people can appreciate a more balanced view on the game.

Kudos to you for providing such an exhaustive tip list and I have to respect your clear experience and understanding of the game and its mechanics. I think this reaffirms an earlier point that whilst I still find fault with some of the design decisions, the game itself is simply not for me. The game still ultimately has its fans so more power to them for enjoying it.

One can only hope that the promise of extra content alluded to here can address some of the issues of approachability without losing out on the challenge that current fans enjoy.

After trying to play the game, I have seen several problems with it. I know its in a early form as of now but I cant get over how it plays.

Here is a list of problems at less to me:
-No Default Characters to just understand how the game works
-No Training Area or Training Mission, Right away into some high skill characters (Even Fighting games let it easy on you)
-Have to spend almost if not all your cash just to at less win one match
-Random Characters, never get characters to fit your playstyle of sometimes are copies of another
-No Basic Attacks and Pure Focus on Food attack to the point if you donā€™t have enough food you done for
-Matches become so one sides that its just better idea to reset the whole game then figure out a tactic

It really felt like some much of the first games combat was remove just for this but they took out some small yet major needs for it, And i though my issue was not being able to play any dragon characters but at the same time Iā€™m glad there not add yet because how bad this is

Again I know the games in an early stages but Iā€™m surprised that the combat was changed some much