Weighting out the Storm (Kanto Ruki's Submission)

This is a Windows version standalone, where you have 10-15 minutes to set up a safe environment. This version is low tested so some text may not be off and am not sure if all 6 endings (3 Good, 3 Bad) are achievable. But I needed to slide into the finish line with this. I at least got an element of weight gain in it.
I was originally going to make a completely different game from this, but I scrapped it since I “procrastinated” to long :frowning: I will most likely come back to this and give it proper polish!
10 minutes before submission, never been stressed this badly, HALP!

6 Likes

Um, yeah, there’s an early game-breaking bug here. Whenever I use the office key to unlock the door and then enter, I get transported to some kinda black and white checkered room where there’s a double of my character that follows the exact movements I make. Going into the center of this room seems to get my character stuck, and trying to exit it only results in a crash.

1 Like

that happened to me :confused:

honestly sounds like some kind of horror game under the hood, I approve of expanding that bug :laughing:

1 Like

This bug is due to me being dumb and mislabelling rooms. The room you got into is probably named “rm_Office2” which was part of my original project before scrapping it for a “simpler” one. The room it was suppose to target was “rm_Office3” (You can tell I’m really good at naming stuff). I’ll upload a fixed version in a few hours. I was time crunched so I didn’t get to playtest it at all. Thank you for notifying me!

2 Likes

Trying to go out by being fat enough teleports you to the basement. And trying to use blankets as a way to go outside without the need of eating, instantly closes the game- here is the crash log below the picture.

############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_OutsideDoor:

Variable obj_OutsideDoor.sel(100056, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_OutsideDoor_Draw_75
############################################################################################

stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_OutsideDoor_Draw_75 (line -1)

Furthermore, if you let the time run out, your teleported to this random place.

Thank you @Cr0me and super thanks to @NoNoYes for catching these bugs. Here is the small patch for the game to now hopefully run a lot smoother!

Quick update, I made more minor patches but didn’t make them seperate versions. So if you find a bug in a version you downloaded before 1:30PM PST 8/12/19 then they may have already been fixed.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

I like this! I wish there was some way to view all the endings though, some are hard to obtain.

If I come back around to tweaking it some more, I’ll make it so the game keeps track of your endings and maybe some fun cosmetics if you do them. Right now it just restarts the game when you reach an ending. I’m glad you’re enjoying this, have you played with the character customization yet?

Not all of the options work. It would have to be the tail, and the gender. I don’t have a preference on my favorite customization, though.

There are no tails, and Gender needs you to dumbly hit enter rather than [AD] to change it

Either this is the wrong place to put the fuel, or it doesn’t work :confused:

It worked for me, though. You sure your getting it wrong? Try interacting with the generator on another spot.

Nope, still nothing. I seem to be an outlier.
Unless I need multiple fuel that I’ve somehow not found.

Having played through the fixed version, I really like this game and I hope you expand on it some more.

2 Likes

I suggest redownloading the game, as the 1:30PM PST 8/12/19 is the final version for V1.0.1, if you grabbed it before that time you probably got the buggy one.

Apologies for the difficulties and inconveniences.

i like see more of your games :smiley:

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 10000
Art: 150
Writing: 75
Concept/Design 985
Msc: 160
Total: 11370

Comments:

I feel a bit bad and have mixed feelings on this game. For one it has quite an interesting concept with X minutes to try your best to get ready for a large storm coming. I also admire how the players weight is integrated mechanically with it being required or can be used as an alternative to solve some puzzles. Unfortunately, the game has a game breaking bug that prevents the player from playing any farther than the first part of the game. This was fixed, but unfortunately only after the deadline has passed. I do look forward to checking its fixed version when I can though.

Kilif Score

Category Total
Art: 95
Writing: 70
Concept/Design 1260
Msc: 50
Total: 11475

Comments:

I had a hard time getting this game to cooperate. Some of this is expected, but this was definitely pushing the limits of this. The door leading outside always put me in the basement, regardless of how I approached it. And the upstairs locked room always took me to what appeared to be a testing area that inevitably caused the game to crash. I like the take on the theme, and the idea of having alternative ways of solving the puzzle (either get the item or get heavy enough that the item isn’t necessary), but it definitely feels like you ran out of time to get it all together. I think you should definitely keep working at it, I think the concept is worthwhile, just gotta shore up the bugs.

Juxtaterrestrial Score

Category Total
Art: 150
Writing: 144
Concept/Design 715
Msc: 75
Total: 11084

Comments:

I like this little project. I really like the framing that you’re alone at some station and your making room for supplies by eating everything you can(also to get fat to survive the cold). Unfortunately there was a level bug, so I couldn’t get as far as I wanted but I was definitely interested to see what was going to happen. I hop you keep working on the project!

Total points: 33929

1 Like