WG-Themed ROM Hacks

Okay, so I’ve noticed that there have been very few ROM Hacks of 2D and 2.5D video games. The only noteworthy ones include Sonic 2 XL and the defunct PWGGBA ROM Hacks, and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to make more WG Rom Hacks…

1 Like

I wouldn’t even know where to begin unfortunately =/

I recall a hack for pokemon that had changed some of the sprites out for fattened versions of the pokemon, but for the life of me, I can’t seem to find the name/ROM. Someone I follow on Twitter might be able to help me out.

1 Like

That’s Pokemon Weight Gain Version by PWGGBA. Unfortunately, he/she was hit by severe copyright heat.

On the other hand, here’s a suggestion for a ROM Hack of one of the Breath of Fire titles: Remember the part where the queen was fattened up by demons inside her body? Well, what if, instead of gaining weight from those demons, she lost weight, and the heroes had to make her fat again by defeating said demons?

1 Like

That’s a shame to hear about the ROM.

As for your suggestion, is anyone on the forums/reading the forums that know any good resources on ROM hacking tutorials? Officially, of course, I can’t host any of the actual ROMs here, but hacking ROMs aren’t illegal, I don’t believe. I’d love for ideas like this to be taken up by someone, and ROM hacking is definitely a venue to explore WG-related content, and of course I’d love for the forum to at least be a resource for it.

I’ll look into some tutorials, maybe post a few here under the Programming section. In the mean time, I’ll ask anyone that does it or knows anything about it to maybe make a post.

1 Like

Kilif, may I suggest this website: http://www.romhacking.net

Very good find. I’ve always been interested in the topic myself, might poke around the articles and see what they’ve got.

Oh, and as far as other games are concerned, I did see a fake Japanese screenshot of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker where Link looked like he gained weight. If only someone would make a mod for the original GCN game (even though this thread is more about WG ROM Hacks instead of WG Mods)…

On the other hand, it would be cool to see Sonic 2 XL: Pink Edition. My concept is that it would be a fusion of both Sonic 2: Pink Edition (with Amy and Cream replacing Sonic and Tails, respectively) and Sonic 2 XL (where only Sonic gains weight, even when Tails collects Rings for him).

That old sonic XL one was rather amusing, and actually quite hard to play “legitimately”. Thankfully, that was one game I didn’t mind losing. :wink:

[quote=“gamerjohn1991, post:8, topic:735”]-snip
On the other hand, it would be cool to see Sonic 2 XL: Pink Edition. My concept is that it would be a fusion of both Sonic 2: Pink Edition (with Amy and Cream replacing Sonic and Tails, respectively) and Sonic 2 XL (where only Sonic gains weight, even when Tails collects Rings for him).[/quote]The guy who did the sprites for S2XL is also an Amy fan and might be willing to pass you his sprite sheet to mod or something. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/guyfuy/

1 Like

[quote=“FluffRat, post:10, topic:735”][quote=“gamerjohn1991, post:8, topic:735”]-snip
On the other hand, it would be cool to see Sonic 2 XL: Pink Edition. My concept is that it would be a fusion of both Sonic 2: Pink Edition (with Amy and Cream replacing Sonic and Tails, respectively) and Sonic 2 XL (where only Sonic gains weight, even when Tails collects Rings for him).[/quote]The guy who did the sprites for S2XL is also an Amy fan and might be willing to pass you his sprite sheet to mod or something. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/guyfuy/[/quote]
Oh, cool! By the way, I’m also working on a pair of SMW ROM Hacks (even though they’re both related to inflation instead of WG), with one of them featuring playable Peach/Daisy based on Peach’s SMAS SMB2 design.

1 Like

I used to have an old emerald rom hack that had some breast expansion stuff. It gave you the choice of may with big boobs or huge boobs and I think it changed a few animations. I think it was called poketas or poketats or something like that. Pokemon had a lot of easy to use programs for hacking the gba games back in the day but idk if any of them are still arround.

[quote=“kilif, post:5, topic:735”]That’s a shame to hear about the ROM.

As for your suggestion, is anyone on the forums/reading the forums that know any good resources on ROM hacking tutorials? Officially, of course, I can’t host any of the actual ROMs here, but hacking ROMs aren’t illegal, I don’t believe. I’d love for ideas like this to be taken up by someone, and ROM hacking is definitely a venue to explore WG-related content, and of course I’d love for the forum to at least be a resource for it.

I’ll look into some tutorials, maybe post a few here under the Programming section. In the mean time, I’ll ask anyone that does it or knows anything about it to maybe make a post.[/quote]

ROM hacking isn’t outright illegal, but Nintendo of Japan has been pushing really hard towards that lately. They’ve been DMCAing videos aggressively, and shut down almost all hacking projects involving their games. Most ROM projects I know have gone underground. It is sad really, but no one wants to have to fight Nintendo’s wall of lawyers.

It might not be illegal, but as far as they are concerned, it might as well be.

Its disappointing to see a company that was such a big part of my childhood act, well, childish.

That being said, as long as nothing happens, I’m fine with ROM hacking information being posted here. I will have to remove any actual ROM uploads however, for obvious reasons. If I had it my way, you could host them here, but I’d rather not have my service cut.

1 Like

[quote=“kilif, post:14, topic:735”]Its disappointing to see a company that was such a big part of my childhood act, well, childish.

That being said, as long as nothing happens, I’m fine with ROM hacking information being posted here. I will have to remove any actual ROM uploads however, for obvious reasons. If I had it my way, you could host them here, but I’d rather not have my service cut.[/quote]

They especially did it to Super Mario Maker videos released by other people prior to the release of the game itself.

Nintendo, once grand and merciful…
Now, it’s cold, cruel, relentless, and heartless…
Throwing copyright strikes left and right…
Not caring why someone used their material…
They just remove it all the same…

1 Like

No offence but I think it would be easier sticking to mods for more recent games like skyrim

Content is content. And modding skyrim is a whole different beast than a ROM of a 10 year old game

For those who have heard of it before, Rampage was an arcade game by Midway where you could play as three giant monsters. I saw some thought-provoking artwork based on the game where Krystal and Tiny Kong appeared in place of Ralph and George, respectively.

[quote=“SizableSnivy, post:16, topic:735”]Nintendo, once grand and merciful…
Now, it’s cold, cruel, relentless, and heartless…
Throwing copyright strikes left and right…
Not caring why someone used their material…
They just remove it all the same…[/quote]

The MatPat came and put an end to it.