What jobs could an immobile character have?

I genuinely have no idea what that means, and I can’t parse it out from the definition of “perpetuity.”

1 Like

I’m kinda joking but a bed is that a valid answer

1 Like

@happytpr Actually has the right idea, an immobile feudal lord, emperor, capitalist, etc doesn’t have to do anything and they have an almost endless cashflow. They have servants do everything for them and are free to eat nearly endless amounts of food all day, which is required to be immobile in the first place.

I don’t even like immobility at all really, but this is just the easiest way to include it, or any large amount of weight gain, in a realistic/semi realistic setting.

1 Like

You need to define ‘immobile’.
Are we talking completely incapable of even moving a finger, or just unable to walk around?

Assuming the latter, literally any desk job that only requires hands and/or a mouth to complete. Many can even be done from home for even greater convenience.

2 Likes

Too big to walk, at least for a normal human.

2 Likes

accountant. No questions asked.

3 Likes

Some sort of artistic job, like a painter, writer, or sculptor. Or maybe a online business owner. Honestly, I think that the potential pool of jobs is pretty vast, seeing how many jobs are information based these days.

3 Likes

hmm if its the stages of the world Likeing sizes that big spokesperson could work. Food of course or clothing or furniture (like how long this bed lasted under that much weight kind of deal) or any of the immoble support tech options that develop

3 Likes

As many have already stated, author would probably be a solid choice. So long as a person can type, you can send your work in via the powers of magic to your editor, and you’d have the protection of pseudonym in the event you want to hide the fact that you weigh about 1200 pounds.

@anon82925365 And I have to question your comment that telemarketer is a dying profession, given I’ve had three of the buggers call my work phone this week alone, lol. That said, what kind of halfway decent person would want to be a telemarketer…

2 Likes

Stocks. When you own stock, you get paid when other people work, for as long as you own the stock and the company turns a profit. If you inherit enough stock and don’t outspend your dividends, you never have to work a day in your life to live high on the hog. Other people are working, you just get paid for it instead of them.

3 Likes

What if there was a simple machine the affords them some mobility? Even in a low-tech society, an “immobilized” person could sit on a wheeled cart and propel themselves by pushing their feet on the ground. I could provide pictures from various fat art as examples if you would like.

Yeah but then you run into the problem of building structure limiting their movements, not to mention the possibility of stairs lacking not only the size but also sufficient rail support to handle the excess weight.
At home can be excused as several writers (when pushing around that frame) has a part of the story installing rails, heavy duty benches, widened halls, and a variety of other upgrades to delay the oncoming “roombound” and then “bedbound”. However unless you’re talking about hospitals or special facilities that cater to such clientele, I doubt trying to go into work would be possible.

1 Like

For sure, such a system would have limitations. But I think these limitations could be worked around for high-class jobs. Instead of stairs, paths and working spaces could use gradual inclines and reserved lanes to allow immobilized people to wheel themselves from place to place. Obviously, such people could not do hand-labor, like carpentry. But, for example, could a well-fed diplomat find use in such a system to go from one smoke-filled room to another? Absolutely.

These systems would require a lot of structure, but this requirement isn’t really ridiculous if you factor in the type of people that would need the systems: immobilized people. Since the price of food necessitates the high class to hold the only possibility to engorge themselves into immobility, the rest of the stinkin’ masses would be able to live normally with their normal infrastructure.

By all means, poke holes in my argument. I love talking about fat societies!

4 Likes

Singing and fortune-telling wouldn’t require much movement aside from getting to the workplace.

2 Likes

@Seeker9043 @diorite In a society where car-sized people are normal, if not ubiquitous, architecture and technology would likely accommodate for them. Big doors, furniture, elevators, and public transportation (I’d expect some kind of thicc subway/metro?) would be the norm, since they couldn’t leave their house otherwise even if they’re able to shuffle from place to place.

2 Likes

I’d say that immobilized people would only be normal in future societies where food is dirt cheap, where transportation is a piece of cake with all of the new technologies. If you want to write a story about such a scenario, I’d suggest setting the story in a city in the middle of Nevada. Nevada has a vast, vast desert that has ample room for the massive infrastructure required for such a society.

However, assuming that we’re keeping things low-tech, fat-friendly infrastructure can be simply limited to the zone that the upper class inhabit. As I’ve said earlier, only the upper class could ever hope to feed themselves into immobility due to the price of food. Therefore, the total number of immobile people in a low-tech society would be small enough to only necessitate fatty accommodations in a small number of places.

2 Likes

I don’t get many at all. I get scammer calls, but not telemarketers. I don’t think people want to be that, but if your job choices are limited it seems like a good way to earn money.

1 Like

What kind of promised land are you living in…

4 Likes

Michigan of the USA :grin::ok_hand:

1 Like

depending on the enviroment you are doing you should think of jobs where not much movement is needed and they can work from a distance or they are the leader of an area