Whole Hog - Version 1.5.1 (Bugfix) Update (PC and Mac) Now on Patreon! Version 1.4.2 now linked here for free!

Good Morning/Evening/Whatever Time it is where you are!

I have added a mega link to the first post for version 1.1. It has a few tweaks to it, but no major overhauls from when it was put on Patreon. Just fixed the names and one or two coding things.

We are in the final stretch for 1.2! That’ll be hitting Patreon in just a few days, Monday at the latest. I know I won’t catch all the bugs, but I want to spend a little bit longer on it.

• HH
5 Likes

Version 1.2!!
Here we go!

Version 1.2 is now posted on Patreon!

Towards the end of my deadline, but hey. I’m glad we got here. So updates:

• In this version I moved all navigation buttons in the apartment to the left hand side of the screen, but you have access to all rooms from any room in the apartment. They are still pretty gaudy and take up a lot of space, but I’m working on that too.

• Kim got an upgrade, I like her new model.

• More dialogue has been added to the “first date” scene, explaining a bit about Danielle, and what she does for a living.

• Dialogue has been added to the “stuffed at dinner” scenes to try and emphasize she does not like being pushed (yet).

• Sprite size was increased so they take up more screen space and “fit” better with the backgrounds.

• I added a menu option to the end of workday and end of day, this effectively stops the game from skipping on repeat. I’ll try to find a more elegant solution for the next update.

• I added time blocks so there are two “afternoon” time slots and two “evening/night” time slots.

• Of course the next weight stage and next reveal (I added special end scenes for the good ending and the bad ending this time.)

Things I want to work on for the next update:

• Make the nav buttons prettier, I’m trying to find a visually distinctive way of doing this without pictographic representations, nothing against that but I don’t want to steal that idea from another game.

• I want to add at least one activity, probably the gaming option that was suggested here.

• I want to add “chat” options that have nothing to do with weight gain, but inform the character of Danielle more.

• I want to add more to do at the office, to make it worthwhile, since there is no money in the game.

• Of course the next stage and reveal.

Rather ambitious goals, but that’s my plan. I’ll pick a deadline for myself later, but if I were to hazard a guess now, I’d say end of Feb, beginning of March-ish. Still no shoes for Danielle for now, but the hunt continues.

Happy Holidays/Solstice/Festivus!

• HH

PS. “So uncivilized” was worked into the game, but you’ll have to find it!

6 Likes

Hey liking the new update so far haven’t finished it yet but something I noticed is the extra timeslots don’t always work. Sometimes I only have two time slots per day total and sometimes the day ends after taking only one action or immediately after work. I really like the game and am excited to see more.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll have to take a look at that

Yeah this happen to me a few times. Sometimes you get off work and do one or two actions then the game makes you go to sleep. Then the “it’s getting late” line will make you sleep 2 or 3 times in a row as the scene for it plays back to back until (I assume) you’re back into the correct morning cycle for work.

@wholehog919 I love the new stuff, the fully rendered scenes are definitely great I just wish there were more of them. But weaving more of them in is welcome.

Shelly’s final stage did not load her image get the “image ‘assistant fat’ not found.”

The Home and Danielle/Enter buttons are visble in any of the Danielle at the MC apartment scenes and while it’s not a huge deal to have to hide them to see the image of Danielle some of the later fully rendered scenes have this huge interface button blocking Danielle’s face or part of the image at times. Seems like this should atleast but taken away here. But the interface buttons probably shouldn’t be loaded in places or scenes there not required. For instance having the Home button always displayed when sitting out in front of the MC’s apartment is a bit redundant.

Had a bug while inviting Danielle over to the MC’s apartment for dinner during her third stage and adding appetite stumulant that the stuffed scene did not play and in the middle of the dialouge the dinner ended with the background scene still being displayed. The game then asked if I wanted to invite Danielle over for dinner and replayed the scene. Also the part of the scene where Danielle enters the apartment during this had the text repeat twice before the dinner scene ended.

Giving Danielle a lean dinner resulted one time in her making a comment about the cheeseburgers being good after she was disappointed by the healthy boiled chicken.

I thought I remembered Cindy being seen again in 1.1 after she goes away on the business training. However, I did not see Cindy again during my entire play through has that changed? Or is there something else going on (it felt like I saw Shelly alot less in this version too but I did atleast see all of her stages). Am I mistaken about her appearing again in game after the inital meeting.

1 Like

Cindy has not reappeared after the intro (the plan is for her to make a big return!)

• The buttons continue to be a pain. Removing them from the scenes and other unnecessary parts seems so obvious. I can’t believe it hadn’t occurred to me!

• For the time block issues, is happening after any specific activities?

• I’ll take a look at the meal coding, those should be easy enough to fix!

Thanks!

• HH
1 Like

Talking to Danielle, going out in the afternoon and the morning have caused the issue. But I may have not noticed it going to the bar or inviting Danielle over for dinner since it’s not as jarring as come home from work and doing a single activity or two and then being forced to go to bed.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know, I’ll take a look at that asap!

-HH

1 Like

Pretty sure the timeblock skipping is from activating the Skip dialogue option in renpy.

1 Like

I just finished playing through again, so I figured I would add my thoughts on version 1.2!

The good

• The dialogue feels more lifelike in this play through. The characters feel more real, and I get a better feel of the personalities of the players and how my actions impact the characters. There is a noticeable improvement here.
  • The sprites definitely feel more appropriate for the scenes. I think Shelly was the only one that felt weirdly proportioned, everyone else felt good.
  • There were a few more unique encounters/dialogues that I ran into this time. These scenes I think added quite a bit to the lifelike feeling of the game and kept it feeling fresh.
  • As usual, the unique scenes are fantastic. The renders are great, and the last scene was A+.

Need Improvement

• The navigation still is really wonky. I can’t skip easily because it skips all the way through to the night, and it just is not easy to navigate through the locations.
  • The work scene really doesn’t add anything to the game right now, though it sounds like that is on your radar already.
  • Having three activities in the afternoon hours (plus dinner) and only one at night really makes it hard to get through everything and makes things pretty repetitive in the evening hours. Adding whatever activity you do next to the night hours would help here.
  • There are still quite a few polish issues in the game. A couple of weird loops and scenes cut off weirdly. Some noticeable typos/grammar mistakes. Fixing these would definitely help.

Overall it continues to be a very fun game to play with fun characters, dialogue, and renders. I’m a huge fan of this game and continue to enjoy every version that comes out.

2 Likes

I’m glad you like it!

• Polish is going to be an ongoing endeavor for me lol. With practice I keep learning new tricks that should help with the loops and things.

• I’m hoping to add something to the office scene this next time around to make it worth it. It seemed too odd to me to not have a “work” scene. Plus it adds so many opportunities.

• I agree :100: with the afternoon vs night activities. I’m planning on adding a “gaming” activity this next update as well. I’m planning on that being a night activity. (Thanks for the suggestion @JustChris)

• The navigation is likewise a thing I’ll be working on throughout development. I may have to dedicate one update just to that, it’s seems to be one of the main detractors for most players (myself included).

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for playing!

• HH
1 Like

Hey, I enjoyed this game very much so far. I joined Patreon to try v1.2, but my progress has been blocked by a bug in two separate attempted playthroughs so far in which I am locked into the event initiating weight phase 3 every time I try to speak to Danielle. Is there a save you could distribute that is not bugged at this point?

1 Like

Having finished the new content, witch was amazing by the way, I just wanted to mention a few bugs I found.

• Firstly I was able to confirm that skipping does indeed cause the timeslot skip.
  • Secondly there was an instance when chatting with Danielle at weight stage three that causes the dialogue box to disappear and nothing happens you are still able to click buttons so I was able to continue.
  • Finally the cheesecake dinner scene stage three at least on the good ending route it loops infinitely after the the frosting dialogue.

Other than that the game is very good and I can’t wait for more

1 Like

@bloodrain327 I’m glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for the bug report. I’ll check in on that looping issue and the disappearing dialogue box.

@mistress.mima - I can certainly try! I’m unfamiliar with that process though, but I’ll do my best to figure it out, a few others have run into the same issue.

1 Like

This is great! I think my favorite aspect of Whole Hog is the pace of Danielle’s gain. The additives are an awesome mechanic that allow the player to adjust the rate of her gain to their preference. I add the wg powder to every dinner, and that seems to make Danielle gain at the perfect pace for me. Not too fast, but also not a slog where you have to repeat the same scenes dozens of times to make progress. And any scenes that are repeated typically incorporate some nuanced dialogue that make them feel fresh. Overall, amazing work! I can’t wait to see more!

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I know games with these loops can feel “grindy” so I tried to think of something that would allow things to progress quicker.

4 Likes

Onwards!

I have uploaded a save file to patreon that should rake care of the infinite loop bug.

Sorry for being AWOL since the release, between a brief isolation period (No COVID thank goodness) and the holidays I have had limited to no time to get to my laptop. That being said, production continues!

I’ll be making a belated New Year’s post a little later on my Patreon featuring Dani.

That’s all for now!

• HH
3 Likes

Hey welcome back, glad to hear your all healthy and back from the holidays! Quick question how do you load up the save file that you uploaded to patreon? Having trouble figuring it out. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

Thank you!

From what I understand you should be able to drop that into the “saves” folder and that should let you play the saved file. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to try again.

I’m a bit out of my area on this one if any has tips/tricks feel free to message me.

Thanks!
HH

2 Likes

No problem and thanks for the help I think I was able to add the save without issue. One thing I do keep running into an issue where after the game loops after opening the door and getting the “its been awhile since you’ve started dating…” line. It’s been keeping me from being able to take her to places like bar, beach, etc…

1 Like