Yamhead's untitled Stealth Game [Abandoned]

I think i found the bug that @NoNoYes was possibly talking about. I dont know if this is the one they found but sometimes the game crashes on me after i have exited out of a food storage shelf minigame, and then proceed to enter into the same shelf again. This seems to only happen when there is still food left inside the shelf but it doesnt happen all the time.

Also i noticed that the first test stage that you had made does not have any doors or food items on the second floor anymore but the prompt still shows up as if they were there. And when trying to interact with those, nothing happens.

hmm I have to wonder. could we the player get tools (both in general and maybe as a unlock or upgrade sytem) that we can use to solve in game problems (think getting through a too small door or stun a guard not a bug or bad design thing)

I didn’t manage to replicate the bug but I think I know what caused it. let me know if you encounter it again

I probably wont add tools, it will probably lead to more scope creep than I’m willing to do

links are updated

the next level isn’t done yet. I did the most dull part so hopefully I will be able to do the rest relatively quickly.

1 Like

the new level is done. it will probably be a bit easier when I have done the balance changes I’ve been planning on doing. I also made it so the food is visible behind things so it should be easier to see where and what food is when you are bigger.

I finally encountered the bug @NoNoYes found. I haven’t fixed it but I have an idea of what is going on

2 Likes

now I’ve made some more balance changes. I think it will be suitable for most types of levels I will make. if you find something that is unfair, overpowered or something else that you think should be tweaked let me know.

Changes
  • the belch-o-meter now fills slower but also for a longer time. and the size of the belch is bigger at smaller sizes (max size is the same)
  • the blue food is a lot better at emptying the belch build time.
  • there is now a sneak button and sneaking while on the scooter makes less sound. the button is bound to Ctrl and Shift on keyboard and Y on controller (you can also sneak with the control stick)
  • the scooter is faster and guards are slower (scooter is faster than guards now).
  • npcs now have a alertness meter and it fills slower than before.
  • I removed the cone of vision that npcs have. I think it gives more information than I would like.
  • I moved the vending machine and change a route on the second level.

I’m gonna make some more levels now so I have some levels for a demo. not sure how many I should make though. then I will probably work on visuals.

the crash is still in. it only happens to me when I don’t have the console available so I can’t see what the problem is :confused:

while I can see the cone of vision I do hope there is at least some way to tell if a Npc is looking in a direction. its a little unfair if not I mean while in real life we don’t have cones of vision we can at least tell if someone is looking in a direction

I wasn’t sure how I felt about the changes to the guards at first, but after playing around in the game for a while, I think I like this way alot better than the older way. One more thing, I seem to be moving slower when moving diagonally, but otherwise solid update.

@Silent_Songs when I work on the visuals I will make it easy to see what way the npcs are facing. I can make the triangle bigger in the meantime.

@Anony2000 are you using a controllstick or keyboard/D-pad? some controllsticks diagonal value is 1,1 and some are around .7,.7 so that could be what is causing it

That is because “diagonal” does not exist. The square is the art, thus you must aspire for that.

Well, at least it’s not an “octagon”…

1 Like

@Yamhead yes I am using a controller, maybe it is better if I stick with the dpad.

when I make an options screen for the game I will add an option to fix that.

1 Like

I have now made a little tutorial level. it is supposed to teach the basics in a way that doesn’t slow down the game for someone that knows what to do. it’s not completely finished. it doesn’t highlight the things I want it to and it doesn’t say the actual buttons to press. I will make an options menu next so you can rebind the controls and have the tutorial say the buttons right, even if you have rebound them.

links are updated

1 Like

I’ve been working on the options and it’s basically done but I haven’t made the save feature yet so there isn’t an update this week. I also changed how input works a bit so I will have to fix that as well.

when I’ve done that I will work on the title screen next. not sure what to call the game though. I’ve been trying to figure out what to call the main character and name the game after that or something, but I’ve never been good at naming things.

3 Likes

now I’ve made the settings. it was really boring and a bit hard so I worked really slowly. hopefully it actually works so I can do something more fun instead. when the game launches it will create a settings.cfg file in the folder the executable is in (unless something went wrong). you can’t access the options menu after starting the game part of the game yet.

I will make the title screen and settle on a art style now. later I will probably work on other small things (like being able to go back to the title screen and saving records) and making the graphics in tandem so I wont get too stuck on something like the last 2 weeks.

links are updated

2 Likes

Is there gonna be any inflation or is that a no?

@nobody.1 no, inflation is a fetish I don’t get and I don’t really want to add new elements/mechanics because I want to finish this game sometime soon.

I’ve been making a guard because it will be in the title screen.
guard
I think I will use cell shading for this game. partly because I like cell shading and a bigger part because texturing is my biggest weakness in 3d modeling.

the next thing I will do is the texture for the player character (and maybe some edits to the model) and then the actual title screen.

4 Likes

Tbh, they kinda look like a robot to me. Did they hire robot guards?

yeah It got stated a while back (when I brought up the idea of voreing the guards) that Yamhead imagined them as robots

the thought behind them being robots is that it makes more sense to spawn robots than people.

also I thought it would be funny that the town would implement a police state with police-bots just to stop you.
I would have to make the first few levels have normal guards for that joke to make sense though.