Yamhead's untitled Stealth Game [Abandoned]

nice to get a big post like this

did you clip through the floor or just walk off the platform? because I didn’t put collision around it so I could easily get to the test area

very strange I haven’t put in anything that would flash and turning of the lights doesn’t make it completely dark. I can’t think of what could cause that other than some driver issue, have anyone else had this problem?

the AI is made so it only gets alerted after you have stolen enough food to be one size bigger but I don’t think I explained that to anyone, woops

could you elaborate as to why the minigame was obnoxious, was it a controls issue or just something to the minigame itself? I’m aiming to have it be played in short bursts so it doesn’t get annoying which should be easier if I implement different tiers of food so you can gain weight on less food.

you might have the same problem as FA_Gamer had, that if to many keys are pressed the computer just doesn’t register it. it should work better with a mouse or with a controller. I should also ad a grab toggle option which might help.

I think everyone have accidentally pressed the lose button :slight_smile: when I make a pause menu it won’t be as bad

did the AI detect you because of a sound (a white circle that spawns under you) or did it see you through the walls, also did the ? never go away and did it just look in one direction or towards you?

I think it’s good when people say “harsh” things about my work, otherwise I won’t make it better. I did upload it specifically so people could say what doesn’t work and why

I can do that and I’m also going to explain some of the things that needs explaining
(not how the minigames work since I want to know how obvious/convoluted they are)

hopefully it works on linux. I haven’t heard anything from the other versions (I guess they work)

thanks for the big post

well you can temporarily disable them by flooding a bathroom and lure them into the water. I think disabling all guards on a floor isn’t as interesting as disabling some on the floor and having two different ways to disable them seems a bit redundant to me. I also don’t want the player to be able to disable them to many times.

I’ve walked off the platform, didn’t know there was a test area.

The light problem happened when I moved. I noticed my character dissapearing and appearing as well.

On the AI, why does AI only start noticing after you steal? Isn’t sneaking all the time the essence of stealth games? Or does the character just go into a store, so they don’t care about him if he doesn’t do anything illegal?
(I thought PC breaks into some private property)

I’d say the minigame was only a bit obnoxious at the start. Once you get to know controls well, it’s nice.
Although, if someone was to download the game without any context or instruction (currently present in your post only), it would take a while to find out what’s going on.

About the AI again - I’ve never seen any white circle under me. I don’t remember now, but I think AI looked in one direction, and when I went to confront them directly, they just had “?” and just looked at my direction.

EDIT: White circle appears when I mash arrow keys

Oh and as I said earlier, some of these problems can be easily solved by adding a section in the menu called “Controls” or just straight up adding a bunch of text to the menu.

very strange about the flashing lights and especially the player disappearing because I’m pretty sure I never make the player invisible

the reason why they don’t care about you at first is so you can do some scouting and making some mental notes before deciding what to steal first. I think planing and such is part of the stealth game experience like how you buy equipment before the missions in thief 1 and 2.
in world reason is basically you haven’t committed any crimes yet so no one cares and you are in a workplace (because I got the idea from the jam but didn’t have time to make it then) so they aren’t sure you have some business there or not. at later levels they might get alerted immediately because people know that some fat bastard is stealing all the food in the city

good to know it’s more of a “what am I supposed to do?” problem. I’m deliberately not explaining it so I can gauge how much I have to explicitly tell people and how much I can count on people figuring it out on there own for when I start making tutorials

when the AI hears you they get a ? above them, turn to the sound and then walk there (unless they can’t go there, then they break) and if they keep hearing things they stay where they are and just look at the sound sources. but if you didn’t make any sounds then that’s some strange behavior. do you remember if you had the scooter active (getting the purple box or pressing Up arrow)? if so maybe the flashing lights made the sound invisible or something

the reset was more to fix the changed gaurd patterns a shutdown would do. and it would have been linked with a alarm. thus if you messed up the reset it sets of a alarm

Ah, so that’s what the purple box was.

No, I didn’t use it.

I don’t think I know what you mean. do you mean that it would disable the guards that have spawned so they are basically knocked out entirely, so you would use it if you raised the alarm a bunch of times?

well I’m out of ideas what could be wrong. hopefully I get this bug myself so I might figure out what’s going on. this is going to haunt my dreams

1 Like

i was thinking if a guard is turned off (robots) they would just go back to there normal partol after but since they were turned off for a bit that would mean the interaction with other patorls would be messed up and you could end up having a point where you can’t get somewhere because the messed up patrols don’t give you a moment to move. so having a grand reset to fix the patrols on a floor would fix that. and would be a good way to knock out all the guards for a short time. but as a counter the method to do it would be tricky and if you failed the hack it would logically trigger a alarm. you where hacking the guard control panel. and likely since it would be IN the location gaurds spawn when a alarm sounds that would mean one spawns there and your caught

I don’t think having them desyncing from each other is a big problem because all patrol routes are different length. newly spawned guards follow a path that another have but goes in the opposite direction so it might be a problem there. but if they hear something and checks it out they will desync so you can do something it that situation.

I would like to have a minigame with a bigger risk reward factor. it’s going to be hard to balance it so you don’t feel like the risk is not worth it but also not so low that it would be stupid not to go for it.

just a little update this time

• new belch-o-meter. now it fills over time, the more you eat (and fatter you are) the longer time it fills. the sound you make is also smaller

• scooter max speed is lowered. the idea is that hopefully it will make more sense to park it somewhere useful for later

• if you are stealing food while to skinny for people to care the alarm will be raised anyway

• controls and some of how the game works are now on the start screen

3 Likes

I’ve been a bit sick of coding so I decided to work on the player model instead.
the fattest model is what I’ve been working on this week, the other two I’ve made earlier

models_above
if you think anything looks off or something please let me know

I didn’t realize how fat the fattest model needed to be to match the collsion. hopefully it won’t be too hard animate it in the minigames. I’m pretty sure I need to make a model in between the fat and fattest model to make it animate better, as well.

I will also have to edit the fat model to have a bigger belly (and maybe butt) so it is closer to the players collision

the name of the file (tubbo) gave me an idea for a title. Tubbo: the master thief
not sure if it will be the title (or character name) but I think it fits the silly nature of the game

edit: just for fun I used torvus weight estimator and apparently this guy would weigh about 16344 lbs (7413 kg)

10 Likes

Looks good, especially from top-down! I’m excited to see models being used in the game.

Okay, now you’ve got my attention XD
Models look awesome so far, can’t wait to see them finished!

Is it possible that there might be a female playable character as well?

2 Likes

yes, it wouldn’t take to much extra work

it’s been encouraging to see new people take interest in the game. who would have thought that people prefer an actual character model over a cylinder with a triangle for a face?

that really should have been obvious

2 Likes

yo, Merry Christmas!

I’ve been retopologizing the mesh (basically making the mesh have 1/100 of the polygons so it can be used for something) this week so there isn’t much interesting stuff to show
fun fact: retopologizing really fat characters takes much longer than regular ones

I also bought Starbound on the 20th and that was a huge mistake
send help
please send help

1 Like

Too much fun with the big fatties mod? That’s totally fine, you work on the game when you want to

yo, Happy new year!

It’s the last tuesday of the decade so happy new beginnings and what not. I myself am not going to do something new, just do the same thing I’ve been doing the last couple of months.

unfortunately I haven’t been able to work as much as I would have liked this week. my starbound addiction got me out of the groove, but I have managed to get it under control.
let’s hope for a more productive new week.

what I did manage to do was some edits to the fattest model (I wasn’t a big fan of the fold under his breasts) and the fat model, finish retopologizing and I also worked on the hands.
I’m going to work on the fat to fattest shape key now and hopefully I won’t have to make a model in between for it to look good

4 Likes