Yokai Slam - 3D Physics-Enhanced Sumo Wrestling!

This is a good concept, but combat feels really one-dimensional. I just spammed the slap to win. Also, there’s no animation for slapping, so I wasn’t sure what exactly was going on at the time. You’ve got the makings of a unique and great project here, I just think it needs fleshing out.

1 Like

My computer hates google drive. That’s all I have to say. I’d love to play this

1 Like

Thank you. I have already made some considerable balance changes. I will be updating the build soon

2 Likes

Where can I upload it that you could access it?

2 Likes

Literally anywhere else.

1 Like

It is wild to me how well made this is for only a week! Little details like Kappa getting squished and looking at the fighters to the sound effects and menus, the game feels high quality. The character model is really well done with all of the various moving parts and such.

I think the sumo fighting is a lot of fun but I understand some of the complaints people have about slapping being too powerful. Perhaps a charge to slapping so you have to choose the moment you want to slap instead of slapping all the time.

Overall one of the most impressive games of all the game jams.

2 Likes

The way I chose to correct the slapping issue was to make it cost way higher stamina but it applies a very short quarter second stun that disables the target’s directional input, so that they’re in general, a lot more effective without launching the character ridiculously far. Thank you for your comments on the game. I hope you all like the next patch.

2 Likes

First off, I ought’a echo what everyone else is saying. There’s no winning without slapping. Now, if that was intended, I would’a shrugged and called it fair enough. Since it’s unintended, though, well…
Everyone else’s said pretty much what I was going to mention, so I reckon there’s no need for me to repeat it.

Now, the game’s pretty solid. The combat felt surprisingly good, I wasn’t expecting everything to feel so responsive. In all honesty, I was fully prepared to enter a Octodad sort of “the real boss is the controls” kinda game. Real glad that it wasn’t. And, if you want my honest take on it, slapping didn’t even feel particularly disruptive. I figured it was a game of footsies and positioning, and that slapping was simply to push back the opponent at the right time. Much as I’m not one to speak, consider, perhaps, that the game might be more fun with pushing and what you should focus on is in the positioning aspect.

TL;DR: Play the game yourself a few times. With & without pushing, and go with whatever feels more entertaining for you. Far as I’m aware, it’s an approach commonly used by game designers for simpler games, which I’d say this is. “Fail faster, follow the fun” is the quote, if I recall correctly.

Before going into the next point, I want to re-state the previous one. The gameplay is pretty damn solid. A bit easy, but still entertaining enough. That said, I feel like it was a little bit short on the kink aspect. This might be just me, but while the models were absolute delights, I feel like it could’ve been fairly interesting if they’d all started relatively small and they gained as they got victories. It’s something you could even tie to the gameplay, where the fatter your character is, the harder they can push and the harder they are to push. In exhange, however, they move much slower, have slower stamina regen, and repositioning them is tougher.

Don’t know that you need to keep this in mind for the Gain Jam, but if you decide to continue developing the game, add a few more characters with different sizes, try this approach, see how things go.

2 Likes

Thank you for the comment! The effectiveness of slapping can be unpredictable and i think that’s where the issue with balance comes from. Sometimes, you can force the enemy off just by running straight at them and spamming the slap button, but sometimes they will have randomly decided to resist

The AI doesn’t really have any systems in place to react to slap spamming, which is what i think i need to address. The AI mostly just attempts random offensive strategies at random, or when in specific panic states, and when not doing so they’re trying to push you, or trying to position themselves to have the advantage. I need to add a way for them to try to maneuver away from the edge more frequently

3 Likes

That’s part of what makes slapping ridiculous, the other part is that it locks the controls of who ever got slapped, and you can always perform it as long as you have any amount of stamina. So you can slap some one, their controls get locked, walk up get your stamina back and slap them again before they get the chance to reposition themselves.

Because of this, you can hold D and mash space as any character and you’ll win nearly every single round. The only times this doesn’t work is if the AI skirts around the edge of the ring and you don’t adjust yourself and keep holding D.

I think if you make it so you can’t slap if you have less than 45% stamina that should fix this problem, or at least make it no-where near as bad.

Sorry if my posts seem negative, I REALLY love this game, from the cute character models, to the stages and the tight and responsive controls. I just think that if you put a limit to how much stamina you should have so you can’t slap all the time, you should be able to fix the slapping problem while also not radically changing what you have.

1 Like

I will try that. thank you!

3 Likes

I have to admit, this is quite an interesting one. Cute, fat monster girls who can plump themselves up of course, but honestly find the gameplay rather intense (in a good way).

It’s also impressive that ya managed to design a 3D game in such a short time for this little event, though since I know nothing about designing or programming games, it might not be as much of a big deal. Choose to believe it is, though.

Only gripe is that it’s a bit short and the girls maintain their ‘ready’ pose even after being knocked out of the ring. Also, Tsuyoi’s tails keep spinning like helicoptor blades.

That said, it’s still a fun little game and reflects well on your capabilities. Makes one wonder what you’d come up with if you made a long-running project.

Personally, Tsuyoi’s my favourite.

1 Like

Amazing game, love it.
If I may ask, what are the “lose” conditions in the game? Obviously, exiting the ring is one, but sometimes I’ve seen my character or the AI just fall over and lose. What causes that?

1 Like

Thank you for your comments. Game development is what i want to do with my life. I figured i should make my entry something that really showcases what i’ve learned the past 10 years

Tsuyoi’s tails are meant to spin, but i do need to fix her physics setup so she doesn’t wobble so much though. Also, I will be adding some different poses for ragdolling before final release.

The lose conditions are one of your feet leaving the ring, or your character’s balance being dominated past 30 degrees. Being pushed will push your balance backwards, you can regain it by detaching from the enemy, or by pulling away from them while holding shift.

2 Likes

Interesting to see a 3D game with physics in the gamejam. its really fun so far, and i like how you balanced the combat.
Someone mentioned the thing about starting off really thin and eating food to get stronger in between fights. That’d be a really cool way to upgrade your character in Tournament mode.

4 Likes

Well I could possibly look into it afterward but my goal was to make something quick to play, consistent, and fun.

3 Likes

That would be awesome! This would add in a sense of progression to the game for extended playtime, like some sort of food eating minigame!

2 Likes

I do like this a fair bit, considering I’ve played through “Eat, Fat, Fight!” for a long while. The mechanics are simple, but give it it’s charm (though a slight disappoint that I can’t just have my opponent fling themselves off the ring through a charge because you sidestepped them at the last second).

1 Like

I hope you all aren’t too disappointed, but raw weight gain itself is not the focus of this project. My goal was to make something quick and action packed with a selection of varied ladies whose unique proportions affect their stats in a meaningful way. There’s sort of a limit of how much weight you can put on a character in an action game before they start to play less fun

3 Likes

The combat update really pulls through to fix the slap spam. I think the next big step is replacing Kirame with a dummy in the training room so we can just practice the mechanics and maybe see what has what effect. It’d also help to have some numbers–character stats, for example–but I assume that’ll come in due time.

Also, Ube gave me a good chuckle. Weak as hell, but the LUDICROUS SPEED
is batshit insane enough to make me want to see if she can actually win a fight.

You can have both. What the game has now can be relegated to an arcade mode with no campaign or anything, or even just a different game, but it’s worth considering the potential this has for other stuff. You can always finish this project and get it where you want it and then consider expanding on its premise to make something else with the same characters.

This game also runs with the premise that these characters are very heavy. They don’t need to do kickflips or run at the speed of sound, they just need to push their opponent. As long as it looks like their legs can still move, they’re probably not too fat for this combat system to look right.

2 Likes