Yokai Slam - 3D Physics-Enhanced Sumo Wrestling!

thank you for your input! Today my focus is to flesh out what i have some more. I will definitely use that dummy idea

I like the idea of doing a minigame to increase your fighter’s weight, but i worry it’s also inevitable that if i set any sort of limit to the weight gain, people will be begging for me to remove it

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that crowd exists for every WG drive and sequence ever made-and even for still images. You see 'em in DA comments all the time for fucking everything. Every other dev that’s implemented WG on here has been able to deal with however many of those guys there are; I doubt you’ll be targeted more than them. And I don’t even think this game can exist without a limit. Don’t you need specific shape keys to keep the models from eventually just exploding, as with Magical Seed Garden?

1 Like

I’m very aware of that, my point is that i might have to sacrifice other aspects of the game’s design for a feature i don’t even really want

2 Likes

Well if you straight-up don’t like the idea, then there’s no point wasting time on it because you probably won’t be motivated to finish and you’ll just make yourself feel bad. But I don’t think this has to come at the expense of the game’s current merits. You said you could have a minigame to make the characters fatter, so let’s run with that ball and see where it can take us.

1. The minigame can unlock higher sizes for the fighters, but not permanently and irreversibly make them bigger. Different sizes can just be selected like skins, and you can choose what size you want to play at when you go into a fight. This way, if you don’t like a character’s max size, or if you want to go back for some other reason, you get that choice.

2. Higher stages can be unlocked based on your performance in the minigame, whatever it is. The minigame could be derived from the game’s base mechanics; i.e. you could dodge obstacles thrown at you in an arena, or see how far you can push a dummy before time runs out. This not only makes it more intuitive to the player, but also gives you less work to do.

3. If WG makes a character stronger, one thing you could do is let the player choose to fight opponents at higher weights than their own, then reward them on that character for doing so successfully. This could take the place of a minigame–every unique victory with every unique character grants XP; the more XP you earn, the higher stages you unlock for your character. So, for example, let’s assume there’s 5 stages per character, and you’re playing Tsuyoi. You can earn up to 500 XP from beating Kirame, granted in increments of 100 XP. The first time you beat her, you get 100 XP no matter what; the first time you beat her at 1 stage higher than your own, you get a further 100; and so on. Every level, you get rewards like new playable weight levels, among others such as outfits if you think there’s merit to that; or, if you wanna keep the minigame, character mastery can just grant outfits or something, or even just achievements. This rewards players who want to sink some time into the game to “git gud” rather than just spending 20-30 minutes on it and being done.

5 Likes

Probably. It is a weight gain fetish game forum after all.

1 Like

Could someone enlighten me as to where the secret button is? Preferably in a spoilered post so as not to ruin the surprise for anyone else?

1 Like

In the home screen. Look around for an “enclosed shape.” It’s nothing in the background, but if you mouse over a certain circle, you’ll find it.

1 Like

This is such a fun and well put together game! Really wasn’t expecting to get into the core mechanics so much but they’re super intuative and really enjoyable, found myself beating all the tournaments just because fights are so fun. Really like the addition of a secret character and would love to see more like that.

I’ll just throw in my two cents on the permanent weight gain conversation and say that I agree having the characters start of thin and being able to fatten them up via currency or xp or something would definitely inccentivise me to keep playing and I don’t think many people at all would care about a weight limit, it’s necessary to keep the characters models functional.

2 Likes

well, i’ll consider it, but i don’t think it’ll happen by the end of the game jam.

3 Likes

I’m getting an error which says
“Failed to open descriptor file…/…/…/YokaiSlam/YokaiSlam.uproject”
and the game won’t launch

1 Like

That’s all fine. Meet the goals you have now and then let yourself look beyond the jam. IIRC there’s a couple games that started with a jam but went beyond the build they had by the jam’s end. But if you think you’d like to expand on this game when the jam’s over, or even when you’re done with this component of the game, then maybe consider jotting down some avenues you’d like to explore.

3 Likes

Did you extract the whole folder or just the exe

2 Likes

Just a gamemode idea you should add a career mode where you create a custom monster and train the monster to be the best sumo like adding minigames to upgrade stats and then entering a match when you’ve used all your training points
And also making different clothes to get

1 Like

that would be cool but also immensely difficult. I feel like what i have works the way it is now.

3 Likes

I keep getting an error whenever I try to extract the zip. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

1 Like

Try 7zip or windows explorer

2 Likes

WinRAR again? Did someone invent a time machine this year and not tell me? Why TF are people still using WinRAR when 7-zip is better, free and doesn’t nag you about paying for the service?

100% serious jokes aside, redownload the game and try again.
If it still doesn’t work, throw WinZIP into the sun and go download 7-zip instead.

1 Like

So does the cheat in the Demo Screen appear immediately, or is it one of those “wait a few minute” things?

1 Like

there’s a random chance of it being revealed when demo mode is entered. Next patch is changing cheats to something easier, so it’s no big deal if you don’t find it

2 Likes

Ah okay! Is it okay for me to ask what the code is on the off chance no one can seem to find it?