A game

dev-notes

I got a bug report regarding the Character Creation System: The message “Could not create character; error code =” appears when I click Create, regardless of whether a name is typed in or not.

You can check whether the app thinks you are logged in or not by clicking User menu item. See screenshot. false means sessionID is incorrect… I was able to reproduce same error when I set my sessionID to incorrect value.

In other news, I worked on the project for some time but not much. I will probably publish beta instance after I implement quests to some extent. The beta instance might be not permanent so I suggest that some ppl use it but only those ppl who want to test stuff and help me with the development because I might remove beta prematurely.

The reason why I might want to remove it is because it turned out that my app is not using memory efficiently at the moment. The existing instance uses a ton of memory at this time. I already made some improvements to memory usage but whether it will be a significant improvement I don’t know yet. I will pre-test it and then we will see.

In short, I can only have 2 instances max :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: until I fix memory usage

After a long time I finally implemented quests. Quests are now functional. However, right now there is only one type of quest: person lost. I might add new types of quests later. I wrote some lame-ass text; I wish I could do better but I am not a poet.

[] Main quests are assigned to dungeons. One dungeon = one related quest.
[
] A quest is completed when the last room of the dungeon is cleared.
[] When u complete the task, the character later goes to marketplace to receive reward.
[
] New quests are discovered in sequence; completion of each quest unlocks next quest until the last one.

I think it is not time to publish the new instance of the app yet. So please note that these changes are not published yet; they will only become available in future. The balance is probably terrible. For now I will keep adding more features; then later I will attempt to improve balance. Right now the app is some kind of dumb-ass sandbox but there is no tactic, no strategy, no important decisions.

Here are the features I plan to add next:

[] Character customization (though everything is text so its not like users will literally see their characters lel)
[
] Clothing. Each clothing item must have a certain size. Character should not be able to wear clothing item if it does not fit
[*] Armor. Should protect from damage.

Ideas? Suggestions? Questions? Bug reports?

[hr]
About bug reports: maybe the best way to handle bug reports for now is for u to send me private messages with bug reports using this forum. If this approach does not work… then I will try to think of something else… but for now, it should work. I don’t think there will be many bug reports

[quote=“dj_sharp, post:102, topic:849”]You can check whether the app thinks you are logged in or not by clicking User menu item. See screenshot. false means sessionID is incorrect… I was able to reproduce same error when I set my sessionID to incorrect value.

In other news, I worked on the project for some time but not much. I will probably publish beta instance after I implement quests to some extent. The beta instance might be not permanent so I suggest that some ppl use it but only those ppl who want to test stuff and help me with the development because I might remove beta prematurely.

The reason why I might want to remove it is because it turned out that my app is not using memory efficiently at the moment. The existing instance uses a ton of memory at this time. I already made some improvements to memory usage but whether it will be a significant improvement I don’t know yet. I will pre-test it and then we will see.

In short, I can only have 2 instances max :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: until I fix memory usage[/quote]
I checked and I was logged in. The same error happened when I tried to create a new character, though.

I put about 10 hours of effort into the project during the last week. Thats a lot of hours for a side-project. I dont always work this much but when I do I usually slack afterwards. I implemented much of the clothing & armor subsystem; however it is still unfinished. Meanwhile I realized just how terrible the project is because of how little gameplay it offers. However I don’t plan to stop the development yet… In any case, it is too late to change the core idea.

These features go into new release:
[] Qeust: Rescue a person, possibly other types of quest if I implement them
[
] Clothing:…
[] New status UI
[
] rebalancing and other minor features

to gamerjohn1991: if u want to help me with this but then send me ur in-game user name in a private message.
Whoever else wants to report a bug, send me a private message. However be prepared to cooperate because I might have to ask u to open browser dev console or maybe check something else I dunno

I should probably re-read all ideas posted by ppl in this thread; maybe there is something useful I didn’t notice before

what’s up
I moved instance 0004 to my new quad-core server however the app crashes when it attempts to save data. Probably because it has not enough RAM. However I don’t want to move it back to old server sry; so I had to disable it. I will soon start a new instance. But first I have to redesign data storage code. Anyway instance 0004 worked for about 3 months so I think that everyone who wanted to try using it they had their chance and ur probably bored from it so I think instance 0004 won’t be missed

feel free to complain

how do I play this? I don’t see a link

Hmm, this sounds like an interesting project! I found a post that used to have a link to the game… But the link doesn’t work for me. Maybe the project got shelved? I hope not!

Here’s the post, by the way~

Unfortunately it was discontinued. The game relied on a live server, and could not be downloaded / played locally.

It was an interesting sort of “idle gamer/tamagotchi” formula where the you scheduled tasks, and the character automatically ate, traveled, and went on battle quests, found loot, etc. It was in a pseudo-real time pace, which meant a lot of “set it and forget it” action.

The project is retired. However I decided to post source code in case someone wants to take a look or run it. Though who am I kidding, nobody needs this sh*t.

Anyway here is the full source code for the project
Server code is in src/ho
Browser-side code is in src/javascript and src/page
ho1215-export.zip (557.9 KB)

I deleted repo history because it had my name and also some possibly sensitive files
The version which I used in production used huge .json file for storage. However I later decided to use boltdb for storage. At the time when I abandoned the project, the db stuff was still in work-in-progress so it might be a bit buggy. I tested this sh*t before posting it and what can I say, well at least it started and displayed the webUI… Didn’t test it further. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
How to run: setup golang, set gopath to project dir, run build-and-run.bat -> it’s available on localhost:9001/meadowie (startup takes some time, no idea what it’s doing for so long lol)
To run on Linux u need basicly nothing, only build and start app as a service
F

unknown