A Hero's Retirement 1.1: A New Look

Definitely needs a restart, sorry.

On the plus side, it was a short game before, and it should go even faster now.

1 Like

Unfortunately, my provider is blocking the download link, so I can’t get the update from Mediafire.

Do you think it would work if I messaged you and attached the zipped file?

completing the fancy inn office and going back after the fact has some bad effects

Sorry for the late response, but 9/10 it should work!

You went to the inn when you DIDN’T have to?

Why-would-you-do-that--meme-64293

Seriously, though, thanks for bringing that up, found a little weirdness with the door effect that needed fixing.

Just to clarify, what were the “bad effects”, and did they happen inside the office, while trying to enter the office door, or elsewhere in the inn?

3 Likes

every piece of text for that event line activated at once with all sound effects as well, all while the screen went black, might want to check more of the one off event areas on a finished game for any other such problems, also housewife’s food stacks and is not removed when you give it to her

Uploading fixed version.

The office door will now lock (for good) after completing that quest, so hopefully now no one will re-enter when they’re not supposed to and witness Lovecraftian events that cause their game to crash.

Ophelia’s Food should be consumed each time you give it to her. Not that it matters much, since you can grab as much as you want from the pantry.

Aaaaaand this might be a dumb question, but does anyone know how to tell which map is which in the game’s data file? I’d like to have the option of replacing single maps when I only have tiny things to fix instead of uploading entire folders over and over again, but not sure which is which.

Would Map002.json just be the first map on my list with events on it, making Map034.json the last map on my list?

2 Likes

Nope, simpler still. Edit the map in RPG Maker , the map ID is in the upper left corner of the window.

Like so:

2 Likes

Oh, I meant to add, since I played the game last night… I was just sleepy.

You can gather the buffet food samples multiple times whenever you re-enter the room. Not that you can do anything with them, but surely not intended.

ALSO. Farmer’s note was in my inventory before Elayne gave it to me. It didn’t duplicate after , it was just there. I don’t know when it appeared, though.

Got it, thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

You’re welcome, I’m happy to help!

Dude… simple, straight to the point and great! This game I know you completely finished but I had enough fun with it I wouldn’t mind a expansion some day. After getting the food to Ophelia I literally went looking for the farmer and still try to get that deal on bulk food because she’s going to need it.

The Bar seems like it has a good future, Ophelia’s appetite is unstoppable and doesn’t seem like it’ll be slowing down… EVER, there could be a whole game of Isis magically enchanting food and them working together to keep Ophelia fed lmao, heck that party of people I want to see go adventuring or traveling from small town to small town eating their stock and leaving haha.

Overall great fun little game, I hope this party’s story isn’t done being told but that’s up to you! It may be difficult making bigger sprites for the trio of girls in the made up sequel.

Only issue I had was I went back in the inn and it bugged out after they changed the lock, was gonna try to get the buffet sent to her again hah.

Fun straight to the point game, even if it doesn’t include this party looking forward to your next games though if you ever are bored with free time and wanna expansion to this simple story, I mean I can bounce ideas off ya ha. Great game seriously, good 1st try!

Hopefully you had fun with it and want to make a new one but if not thanks for spending your freetime making a fun game, I stand by wanting expansion/sequel tho :stuck_out_tongue: thanks for putting in the work to make a fun game!

Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it! Making this game was sometimes fun, sometimes not, but always a learning experience.

I’d definitely like to start a new project at some point; got the bones of a few ideas rolling around in my head, just need a hook to make them distinct, and not seem like a poor-man’s rip-off of other games on this site.

As for a sequel to this game, that won’t happen anytime soon. I think doing something with a different setting will help broaden my still infantile knowledge of RPG Maker, so a break from this world will be best in the long run.

I doubt a sequel would include most of these characters in starring roles, though. They’re content, they’ve found their happy ending; I never intended for this game to have a sequel when writing it. But recently I started to wonder, what if these characters had daughters…

3 Likes

Right, trying a new way of fixing things, let’s see if I can do it correctly the first time.

Overwriting this map into your data file should fix the bug where the Buffet Samples reappear:

And overwriting THIS map will POSSIBLY keep the inn from glitching out after completing the heist quest:

Not sure on that last one, since I’m not sure if the glitch was with the office door or something bigger in the inn itself. In general, I’d just advise not going to the inn when you’ve finished your quests there; they hate you and you should hate them.

8d7a0176d889f88709afb8eb6938f7bcca31debe4c373e6ddce4769a8dbed1aa

No idea where Maggot’s Letter keeps coming from, been searching for that bug for awhile. At least it’s not a particularly harmful bug.

Once again, thanks to @SirKata for advice on uploading individual maps, hoping this’ll save you all some downloading time!

3 Likes

Can’t fish, boat’s missing.

That’s…odd.

Did it just never appear at the dock, or have you seen it there or used it before?

I briefly used it in the old version, but I put it back in the same place, now in the update it’s gone.

I honestly don’t know what’s going on, the boat’s not an event or affected by any event, so apart from the player misplacing their boat, it shouldn’t disappear.

Unless by “old version”, you mean one of the versions from before I chopped up the map into smaller chunks. Which I assumed was incompatible with the current version. That could cause issues I wouldn’t even begin to know how to fix.

I monkeyed with events a bit, but didn’t see a way to return the boat to its starting position without messing up like 5 things in the process.

Sorry you’re having that issue. I’ll try poking around some forums and get back to you if I find anything useful.