A Hero's Retirement 1.1: A New Look

The story of the priestess cat or magician hurt me. I liked the game a lot and personally I would like to know what happened before the hero retires and what happened after the party.

Sorry, friend. I looked around, and still have no idea what’s causing the problem. You might have to start a new game, or from a different save file if you have one. At least the game’s a short one…

Yeah, just couldn’t figure out how to fit Aisha into the game gracefully. But I think she fulfilled her new role as a guide pretty well; I’d love to use her again in the future in a similar capacity. Her design seemed too good to waste, maybe because she’s the only glasses girl…

As for what happens before the hero retires, I imagined it being your pretty basic JRPG save-the-world-from-the-demon-lord kind of story. With the only difference being the hero’s personality; Yuu’s never been big on fighting despite his strength, so he viewed it more as a diversion from his true goal of settling down with a fat girl. Everyone in his party sort of went their separate ways, and he simply wandered.

I got the idea of his “giving up the sword” when deciding on the title screen, and realizing that the concept really fit his personality; there was already no combat in the game, after all. And I just find that idea so interesting in general (blame Vinland Saga for that).

2 Likes

I liked the story, I think no story had been handled, so the case of the cat is that it breaks the wall and my traumas returned to me and I felt sorry

i tried to start a new game and this happened

Sooo, looked into it, and the uploaded version was mysteriously missing a few maps, including the town entrance. Haven’t touched the game in months, so not sure why these problems are cropping up now.

Anyway! I re-uploaded the game, and made sure it has Map31. Try downloading it again, let me know if it still doesn’t work.

I love this game. Keep up the great work and I look forward to future updates

Thanks! I learned a lot making this game, and hope to use that knowledge to make more enjoyable games in the future.

Frankly I am really excited to see what kind of short (or long) games you will create in the future since this one was so good, solid yet simple and overall quite the experience

1 Like

It’ll be awhile until my next game.

I work pretty slowly, and estimate the project I’m chipping away at right now won’t be playable for like a year at least.

But I do intend for it to be a good bit longer than this one, and include combat (which I have to figure out).

Are you in any other game dev discord like preggopixel’s or grimmimick? Maybe there someone can lend you a hand or teach you one or two things

Not yet, I’m still in the early stages of building maps and writing the story.

But I’ll definitely check those resources out when I get more in-depth with the combat and art assets, thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

“Failed to Initialize Graphics.”
It will not load. It worked before but now it no longer works.

Well, that’s not good.

At what point in the game did you get that message, story-wise? Did it happen when you were in the middle of playing, or booting up the game? Was that the only error message it gave you? When you say it worked before, are we talking about hours before? Weeks? Months?

Haven’t changed anything about the game myself in a long time, so it shouldn’t be any more broken now than it has been since like September. The more specifics you can give me, the more likely I can figure out what’s happening.

1 Like

It gives it to me upon launch. Yes it was the only message. Months. Even my old version didn’t work after a certain point.

Now it works. Strange. Just tested it.

Weird. Well, glad the game’s working again for you.

I wonder why computers just like to mess with us every so often.

confused-bird

1 Like

It’s the first sign of the rise of Skynet. The machine apocalypse is upon us, and I have a long, long history of graphic card abuse…

Hey, I can’t find the boat despite going to the lake, anyone know if I’m missing anything or is it a glitch?

Sorry about that, seems to be a glitch mentioned once last September; couldn’t pinpoint the cause then, couldn’t pinpoint it now after digging up the files.

The vehicle is set to spawn right at the end of the dock. If you exit the boat, I believe it remains in the location you left it. If you never touched the boat and it’s still not there, though, that’s a serious problem, and unfortunately not one I know how to fix off the top of my head.

If anyone here has any idea why a vehicle might not be appearing at its set location for some players, I’d be all ears. Or if they know how add more of the same type of vehicle to a single map; unless I’m missing something, RPG Maker MZ doesn’t seem to allow that (my first instinct was to add extra boats as backup).

the easiest thing you can do is add an npc who can force change the location of the boat so that you never have to worry about it. An old fisherman or a swimmer who says something like “hey I found this out on the lake abandoned.” And then teleports it to a location you can reach.

6 Likes