A Piece of Cake / C'est de la tarte (le français)

A new version just got dropped.

10 Likes

French only unfortunately.

Can somebody share an invite to the discord?

For those of you looking for an English version of yesterday’s release, I will be working on a patch, but I’m really busy with my own game at the moment. I did experimentally run the patch on the new version, and there are roughly 300 new translations needed, so it’s no going to be super quick, and it will be a few weeks before I can get started. The upside is that the main game loop at least still works - so, at your own risk, you can try patching the new version.

9 Likes

I was trying to translate it via the script manually but i quit thinking that i’d probably brick the game at some point

Nice! Any rough overview on the new features?

Don’t worry about needing to take your time, I am sure that if we have waited this long for a new version, we can wait a while longer.

I am pretty hype about it

Here is the post about whats new in v0.13 Update! V0.13 - A Piece of Cake! C'est de la tarte ! by parvinjaan

4 Likes

Perfect! Much obliged!

1 Like

I can probably bang out another quick ‘translation’; should even work with the patcher this time - other than an unfinished event that can’t be accessed without editing other scripts, there aren’t any user-facing strings in the new script files. My game jam project is nowhere near a presentable state so at least with this I can pretend I got something of interest accomplished this month.

1 Like

Alright, let’s see how well this works. Download the 0.12 patcher from above, get the 0.13 release of the game from the itch.io page, and download the patch files from the bottom of this post. Extract everything, put all the map-screen and map-script files from the poc-v0.13-scripts zip in the same folder as the patcher, then follow the instructions for the patcher to apply the translations to the 0.13 release. Applying the translations to an older version of the game probably won’t break things, but it won’t magically add the new content either.

I haven’t had time to test everything but there shouldn’t be anything game-breaking unless I really screwed up. Since there’s new variables and events, I don’t know how well this would work with saves from 0.12 or older; it’s probably best to start a new game.

poc-v0.13-scripts.zip (137.0 KB)

6 Likes

Thanks man! Worked for me, first couple of screens of the game and it’s working without a hitch got the point of starting the game and setting up a house and stuff.

The patching works perfectly, save for new content of 0.13 not being available, as far as I can tell. Specifically, the daily video calls with the daughter are unavailable as an option on the daily main menu.

I can’t reproduce that, although I do see that there’s an issue with the script - it checks ‘house’ (the string containing the name of your property) rather than ‘housepoint’ (the integer that contains your property level, which is a lot easier to check against). I’m inclined to think that the issue would actually just lead to you being able to unlock adoption and video calls even if you’re living in the tent, but I don’t know how python or renpy handle comparing strings and ints.

If you’re sure you’ve applied the patch to v0.13 of the game, try going to script.rpy and changing house on line 2127 to housepoint and see if it helps. Otherwise, try switching to a different property and see if that makes it work. Also, you can’t do video calling if your daughter is currently visiting your home.

Will check, am in the Palace btw (yes I save edit money in).

Selling the house, then re-buying it, makes no change. Will adjust the file now.

Script.rpy in the \game folder, right?

Undoing the patch appears to not have worked, either, as the option is still missing, and the Mayoral screen is still in English, for some reason?

Loading the save in a fresh 0.13 install restores the option:

The upshot of this is that I investigated the scripts, turned on the debug menu, and wrote some of my own commands, too.

I would recommend trying again from scratch, as I have no idea what all is going on there. The screenshot of the script.rpy there looks as though it came from 0.12, not 0.13; that block of code has been bumped down by about 450 lines in the current release. I just tested with a fresh copy of the game, the patcher, and the updated scripts to be certain, and everything seems to be working as expected.

You’re using the current version of the patcher (v0.12-a), right? The older release didn’t look for some of the script files related to the mayoral and adoption stuff, so that might be a cause of some of the weirdness, although I don’t really know how much of that would’ve even been patched into English in that case.

Yup, fresh 0.13 install, used the patcher & new data as instructed, and that was the result.

Having thus figured out how to mess w/ the debug menu, I’m happy enough to circumvent the issue by auto-translate via phone camera, as I can now speed through a bit better.

0.14 just dropped. French only of course.

4 Likes