Abducted! A WGHFY Story (V4 out Now!)

Excellent! No other bugs encountered so far.

I tried out some of the new events on an existing save file (hanging out with the doctor after the reputation boost update action, and also the serpent tech) and it’s really nice :blush: I hope we see more variation in events too as time goes on, or additional stages of friendship.

Kweht is so adorable (including the moment in the lab where he gets cuddly during the random occurrence of overtime), I can hardly stand it! You were not kidding about the wholesomeness.

I was pleasantly surprised to see there was a reaction when I tried entering a hangout while stuffed/near stuffed, at least in an additional change to how it ends.

Made me wish that Kweht, being such an eager gourmand himself, could also go into a cozy food coma with you on the couch. Maybe he could be into mutual feeding as you increase friendship levels, even if his species doesn’t naturally get fatter from it :joy:

I was a little surprised that the Kweht hangout event puts a stuffed character to sleep right away, but the doctor’s doesn’t. She doesn’t stick around to indulge that “hedonism” your character starts feeling, lol

I will have to try with a fresh character and see how the new systems play from the start. Unsure of if there’s any variation in the new scenes for weight, since my file was at the current max weight range :slightly_smiling_face:

Also…has there been a system pertaining to “greediness” (maybe related to expanded stomach capacity) that I’ve been missing? I got the event with the alleyway crate and the character went on to eat even more than the first few times I ran across it. The only other time I ran into such a thing was maybe having no choice about eating doctor-offered pastries ravenously on an empty stomach. The new belly descriptor in the examine action also mentions it growling even after eating.

If so, I really dig the increasing appetite/gluttony, and I hope it gets incorporated into more existing events. Losing control of the character occasionally is a really nice touch, and more variation would break up repetition. Since you’re an object of curiosity, engineers in the cafeteria might have a lot of fun with that, as would restaurant patrons or people at the buffet party :joy:

4 Likes

@Octop I hope you like it, truly. Also, yes for both is my current plan.

@FlabTepes I am glad its going good so far~

-More variation details and all will come with time for events, just matter of slapping them in nicely. Also, yes there will indeed be additional stages of friendship, which add scenes.

-Regarding Kweht being a gourmand (if you want to know) Its coming. The event is close to that, and the current one is already mapped for it when we get there. So once the game progresses more I can flush it out, but you should enjoy it if you like him.

-Kweht’s event sends you to sleep right away since the PC receives a lot, lot - more food. Halessie amount of food is close to snack levels comparatively. So its pretty much for ‘balance’ as silly as a word that is to use for these kind of games.

-The weight levels for variation in scenes will be around, but little more limited than other details. Since the PC will typically progress in weight - hand and hand - with unlocking new scenes. That takes care of itself to an extant at least. It will be more of going back to edit previous random events.

-Pretty much close to that when it comes to greediness. So, many of events/extra details that have tidbits about being stuffed already, hungry etc, are based on percentages related to your stomach. So the larger your cap becomes the earlier those will pop up etc and vice versa. Chain events, like helping yourself to the buffet will be where stomach capacity sees most of its light. Being able to do them to completion, how many times in a row etc, with more stages being added at higher levels. That kind of stuff.

The examine self description is just flavor. The alleyway scene in particular is purely weight based. I like making scenes longer for the PC, as they pass a certain threshold etc. Originally the alley scene gave you a choice for the extra option if you qualified. But, I want to mix in ‘control loss’ to scenes as well when it makes sense and shouldn’t offend anyone since people like those too. (Like the buffet chain, you can walk away at anytime, but the bread alleyway event just happens regardless)

Really my goal is just to make the three key factors flow naturally/go hand in hand (Time pasted, Weight, Stomach Cap). So even though there are requirements tied to them, the less the player is even aware they exist, the better.

So really in closing…

I like RNG/random events for Text-adventures. So my goal and drive when adding new details and events is to just be ‘you win by hitting the wander button’

6 Likes

Well, it’s really solid and a pleasant play experience, so I look forward to it! Being pleased by wandering is an excellent ethos for designing it.

Regarding weight variation in the alley scene, it sounds like you had it simpler under the hood than I expected, and it works really well! I guess I just hope I see more instances like it in other events. I am an absolute sucker for the PC going a little out of control or their new size being drawn attention to in an otherwise-familiar situation :joy:

Maybe more variation based on increasing weight classes could occur in older events - past a certain threshold in the game, going back and exploring old wander results from the early game mainly seems to result in same 2-3 versions as several hundred pounds ago (mainly a few events in the first wander loop in the lab, which cap out in description well before the player hits the original 750 threshold. Stuff like the engineers always working on the same vent in the same way, or the cafeteria content not changing much). I think its more noticeable because, by the time you can wander freely in chapter 2, you have already seen those events many times.

That said, maybe they’d be locked behind other things…like finally getting a damn lunch card, haha.

4 Likes

One minor typographical issue (or possibly coding?) noticed thus far:

When you get the coffee with sugar, it shows the resulting text twice in a row (in one screen event). Not sure if it’s just displaying the text twice, or triggering the event twice.

3 Likes

Well that was weird.

I just tested it again with my test chars, and it worked fine. But made another new character and ran them through and it did exactly what you said. Its fixed now for the proper release. For now its double dipping/more bang for your buck. Thank you for finding that.

2 Likes

Just noticed another minor typographical issue:

“Once you are settled in your seat next to the familiar colorful serpent technician you are good to go.Kweht, you are good to go.” When settling into work at the lab (presumably after getting to know Kweht).

Does the chance of being able to help out in the lab upon encountering it goes up as relation level does?

(Also, I formally file a semi-serious petition for ‘hang out with the maintenance crew’ being an ADDI event)

3 Likes

-Sorry about that one. That scene has so many variations mixed in so its hard to test. I am getting that fixed up for the true release.

-Currently it does not, mostly a few reasons. I terms of ‘rewards’ the lab event chain in full is arguably one of the best. While Kweht’s hangout is also arguably one of the best. I also kind of saw it as a situation that happens beyond his/your control. I might increase the initial chain start chance since (Currently its 33%->33%->50%). Maybe to (50%->33%->33%). But I figured getting in there and not getting the final event was more frustrating than not getting in at all.

-For your maintenance crew request, are you asking for the main engineer in particular or the team in general. (The engineer the PC is more familiar with, or more the team as whole). Last question for it being, an ‘ADDI’ hangout with her specifically involved, or just one like ‘ABBI’ has.

3 Likes

Started a new playthrough to help see if anything is borked! Going to try exercising semi-regularly this time to play with the new systems, and have the friendship points build up naturally.

All I have to report is a minor typo in an early event I missed. “You decide to know on the door and see if someone will let you in” when you try to enter the cafeteria.

Edit: also, some mixed up homophones when eating the energy bar offered to you “Like the designer of the bar thought that the best way to make a food that would satisfy any palette would be to give the food absolutely no flavor.” Palette should actually be “palate”. Taste, not a board for mixing paints :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks for the finding those.

Zero idea how I missed those during my run of the base game. I am going to believe they unfixed themselves, so I can sleep at night.

Exercise other than slowing gain, doesn’t do anything pre treatment, so you hopefully shouldn’t see anything too wild there at least .

3 Likes

No prob!

And good to know. Here I was thinking I could build up my stamina in anticipation of getting huge, lol.

At least it serves to show the slow creeping futility of exercising once or twice a day while being surrounded by enabling aliens.

3 Likes

I was thinking of the team rather than just the main engineer, though overall was just thinking that your character getting so familiar with the team seemed a natural fit for further interactions.

I was thinking of the ABBI message invitation akin to the others (and admit I didn’t even notice the ADDI/ABBI persona switcheroo changing the name until now), although now that you mention it ADDI and the maintenance folks could make for an amusing pairing.

(And, of course, this is all just thinking out loud, not really a formal request or the like)

4 Likes

I feel bad that all I’m coming back with are bits of proofreading feedback, but genuinely I’ve had a very bug free experience so far! It’s really solid. I hope its not too annoying.

Upon couch-lazing random events, the robot has a redundant tray:

“a highly advanced looking robot carrying a tray rolls over to you with a tray of what looks like snack foods”

Edit: Aha! I do have one oddity I’ve run across. After getting my stomach capacity high enough to completely empty out the stasis fridge, I still had some room and went out to finish stuffing my character completely. Returning to the room at the end of the day, I interacted with the stasis fridge, and the fridge reverted to the normal “ To your amazement, it is full of a ton of different foods” description, as if I had never emptied it that day.

Edit 2: Interestingly, I’ve run into that same situation returning home after being too tired to take more actions, but not totally full this time. In that case, it has the normal fridge being full of food description, followed by:

“You look at the variety of foods in the Stasis Fridge.

You’ve eaten all the food in the stasis fridge…”

And also…Jumping off of the maintenance team stuff that @Cordite mentioned, we should maybe get a name for the main engineer, since we crashed their party as part of the UMP repair quest :joy:

Maybe the maintenance staff could have a friendship level that’s mainly reflected with you getting ABBI messages from the lead engineer, but it could be them inviting you to more group-oriented events instead of one-on-one hangouts. Parties, alien board game night, group cuddle sessions after a long stressful shift (once you get big enough), since the aliens seem calmed by you…

Dunno how it would increase, but I imagine cafeteria interactions or assisting with repair work in the lab area would do it. Not sure if that’s the sort of stuff you had in mind Cordite, but it got my wheels turning.

4 Likes

Quick question, how do you fix the UMP I have looked around everywhere and don’t see a mingle option.

1 Like

there’ll be an event when you become immoble. in order to gain access to the new area, you have to accept the treatment from dr. helessie and then wait a few days to gain access to the residential district!

once there, you just have to wander around until you come across a group of aliens having a big party in an event hall of sorts. the larger your character is, the more likely they are to be noticed, and invited inside. once you’re at the party, you’ll be able to mingle with people and start the quest!

4 Likes

I am personally struggling on occasion to be sure I have the most up to date download, and having control of the opening post would help that issue out a lot, so I’d be all in favor of a new thread.

5 Likes

Seconded, on the new thread.

3 Likes

@FlabTepes
—Don’t feel bad for the proofreading, that’s why I label it as test, and try and post updates before things are “done”. I can only catch so many things so matter how many times I read through it.

Fun tip for anyone who needs to proofread something. - Read it out loud, it catches SO many things. But like I said FlabTepes (and everyone else), always tell me.

One reason, we can only catch so many things is our brain knows what we want it to say, even if the words not there. It still Forks up every once and awhile.

—“You look at the variety of foods in the Stasis Fridge/You’ve eaten all the food in the stasis fridge…” That is just the old/filler text from the base game, thanks for reminder to update that though, I had forgotten about it.

—He will get a name for sure, just on the list. If anyone has name pitches, throw them at me as with other ideas (You guys telling me ideas is the closest thing I will get to new content) but Its also very possible its in my head already just in the making/backlog.

@namad
@FlabTepes

• Somchu has already given me the go ahead for a new thread, so we are good there. It will be coming in less then 24 hours. Just wanna fix bugs and typos etc.
3 Likes

Last couple bits of feedback from me then, as a sendoff to this thread! I’m glad that it’s been helpful.

When eating with the maintenance team in the cafeteria, if you are near full, it says:

“You politely turn down most of the food they offer, feeling quite stuffed. Though you can’t help yourself but munch on some of the snack they offer as you and the Maintenance Team talk about what’s on your minds.”

Snack should probably be “snacks”. And “they offer” being repeated feels a bit redundant when read out loud, but otherwise we’re good.

The only other bug I encountered occurred when I had sweat descriptors enabled. Exercising twice in a row in the hall resulted in no description of the exercise the second time I did it, just the line saying that you got sweaty. It was otherwise a big blank space. Could not reliably reproduce this however, so it wasn’t exactly a big deal.

And cheers to the new thread upcoming! Proud of you, taking the reins. :+1:

Edit: as for the maintenance crew…since they’re insectoids, maybe something bug-sounding that’s clicky and buzzy? Could go stereotypical sci-fi and make them a little more stratified, too, like they have a weird compound name related to their particular job that the translator has an issue with, but it’s traditional or something so they stick with it.

How’s Zictizixx Oversee-Make-Whole (“Zix” for short) sound?

Like, the guy knows he’s just a minor supervisor of the maintenance team for this lab, and will say as much plainly in conversation, but the weird formal insect names still get translated literally by the system, hence Oversee-Make-Whole, since he oversees people who fix stuff).

2 Likes

I decided to go really far into weight reduction just to see if there was anything there. (There is predictably, very very little.)

But the maintenance crew still says you like eating when you meet them in the cafeteria, even though at this point my character clearly doesn’t.

Update: I’ve concluded that there is no lower boundary on weight, because my character should probably end up in intensive care at this point.

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

Having gained Somchu’s permission, this will now be moved to a new thread going forward

Abducted Plus+ (A WGHFY Story)

Thank you to everyone who helped test Plus+ and make this an experience I wanted to keep doing.

Thank you to Somchu for making Abducted!

9 Likes