Burgomatic (BellyBelting and cocoacaesar's submission)

It’s basic but it works (first pic had spoilers)

Thanks for your very Smart Help :hugs: :blush: :wink:

it’s the wrong type of burger, she won’t eat it because of that

1 Like

On the second puzzle, i can’t get the machine to stop. It just keeps going after the burger is finished and i have reached the extent of my computer knowledge, which stopped at learning HTML and PHP.

That would suggest that either a) the burger hasn’t been completed correctly, or b) it hasn’t been delivered to the rightmost position to the Manager.

Screenshot?

Okay, I have to say guys, this was one awesome way to fit the theme. The concept is amazing. The gameplay is… slightly frustrating. Which is a damn shame because I can see exactly why you put it together this way. — For me personally the absolute hardest aspect was timing. The fact that conditionals and loop brackets are skipped in terms of processing turns made it difficult for me to predict exactly when things were going to happen. Of course, simply running your program can help you do that… but I found without a pause key, I just couldn’t quite keep up with the pace to assess how well my program was doing. This tended to lead to me failing the level by the narrowest of margins and being unable to quite fathom how I could fix it. Making small edits to the programs for individual machines was a bit of a nightmare because I stuggled to remember the order of the symbols I had previously put in, epecially if I was trying to both add a loop AND start that process at a specific time.

My final thoughts are, honestly though I personally found the game to be more frustrating than fun, I’d honestly want to see you guys as frontrunners in this jam because as I said before, your concept is awesome, moreover beating the first two levels was extremely fun. (I just couldn’t beat the 4 stack of meat and cheese, I got so damn close!) There is serious potential here if somehow you can make a more user friendly experience or perhaps more interim/training levels.

1 Like

I thought that this game was enjoyable, and nice and simple. However, it may have something to do with the fact that I do have experience with coding. The tutorial could be improved on (probably something like tutorial levels - learn as you do, rather than walls of text.) Great take on the hands off theme as well.

This was fantastic. The art was spot on, cohesive, simplistic, and appealing. I attempted playing without the tutorial, which was my mistake. After the tutorial, each successful burger was challenging enough to be very satisfying. The concept is super fun and has a lot of potential. Well done!

Actually, it turns out when the instructions said “everything but pickles (those things are gross)” or whatever, I just thought the lettuce was pickles and ignored the picture I was supposed to replicate. My dumb.

After that, i mastered this immediately.

1 Like

Lets gooo i figured the last one out by myself

1 Like

This was pretty fun! At first I thought I was too stupid to play it but then I managed to find a solution through trial and error

1 Like

As neat a concept as this is, if you are completely clueless on how coding and programing works, this is going to be nearly impossible. Instructions help, but for those that have never done this kinda thing before (like me), reading it is just going to look like gibberish. It may not be a bad idea to have a visual guide, or even a practice mode that shows you what went wrong and where. I’ll admit it. I can’t get past the starting one because I just don’t understand the way the components work. That said, I REALLY wanna play this, and see the end. It looks so fun.

1 Like

I love the idea and how it can teach you coding but I feel like it needs a Tutorial on how to code the right way and also slowly opens more ideas as the game goes on then to hit you with Everything at once because My Head hurts turning to get this to work.

1 Like

ey, i highly respect putting together a little zachtronics-y game for something like this! obviously there’s quality of life and accessibility grievances, but something like this takes a lot more ux thought than a typical game, i would have to imagine.

2 Likes

I hope the amount of comments about the difficulty aren’t too discouraging, because I actually love this game for challenging me to figure it out, even if it was very confusing at first. I keep coming back to it and wishing there was more. I also loved the manager’s personality, she seems like the exact kind of person who would sit lazily at the end of that machine. >//>

2 Likes

this was pretty fun it took me a while to get a handle on it but since I did I started to enjoy it I also really like the girl I hope to see her used again

1 Like

Of all games, this NEEDED a tutorial. I genuinely have no idea what in God’s name I’m doing, and I’ve only managed to make progress by reading what other people say they did, but I don’t understand WHY that is the answer.

The gameplay is not easy-to-learn and is not self-explanatory. There’s just no fairness in designing something this complicated, and built for a specific type of learnset, without having a decent tutorial on your post or in-game.

If it helps the order of inputs read from top-to-bottom and left-to-right, so a sequence of eight inputs will read in order as:

1 5
2 6
3 7
4 8

A sequence doesn’t need to use all eight inputs. The process checks for the next available “action” (1 or 2) or “wait” (X), wrapping back round to the top of the sequence. This is denoted by the red square that reads the sequence, marking the current step. If I wanted a simple loop of a process switching on and off I could use this:

1 _
X _
_ _
_ _

So this is telling the machine to fire on step 1, wait on step 2, fire on step 3 (since it wraps back round to the top of the sequence), wait on step 4 etc. So it effectively fires on all odd numbered steps (1, 3, 5 etc) and will continue to do so.

For the swappers, a setup like this:
Would allow each of the adjacent swappers to work on alternate steps, effectively making a simple conveyor belt. The first swapper passes something along, then the next swapper, then the next etc.

The best way to learn is to play around and experiment with it. To the game’s credit it’s pretty quick to start punching in inputs and pretty forgiving in tweaking stuff on the fly.

The above example of the swapper conveyor isn’t the only “correct” way - another version could be like this:
This version has each swapper acting in sequence from left to right, one at a time. It’s functional, albeit a little slower if you wanted to do multiple burgers for example.

4 Likes

I’m gonna be honest, I didn’t even have a grasp to start with. Nothing I saw in-game explained what I needed to make or what the xs 1s or anythin else meant, and it’s been about 5 years since I took any math course, and I never went past college algerbra, so none of this makes too much sense lol.

Good art, and a good central mechanic. Took me a bit to get used to the asynchronous firing of the placers and spinners, but once I got that down the puzzles were super fun! The only thing that I really wanted was a serving area of some sort that would accept my garbage stack of like eight top buns so that I could make a super efficient assembly line without having to put blank spaces at the beginning of all the later ingredients before going into a loop. It would probably be nice to have a couple more simple tutorial levels that use each element to get folks who aren’t used to programming familiar with the more complex things you can do with the burgomatic.

1 Like