Eternalland: A tale of hungry Elves - CANCELLED

As promised in the previous post, I’m just confirming that this isn’t some rando or scammer trying to mess with people, it’s actually me on the new account.
I’ll update the original post later today as well, when I have time!

6 Likes

Thank you for that I’m sure some people might have had questions about it. Especially considering what today is :laughing:. Look forward to seeing the updated post.

Hey everyone!
Just here to give a little add-on to that update, take a look at this…

Teaser

Consider this a ‘teaser’ to a little change we’re doing. Not gonna tell you what exactly though, have fun guessing!

-LuLuLuFooFoo

8 Likes

Kinda concerned how extensive a team would need to be for a fan reimaging of Hungry Elves…
Oh well, cute squirrel girl is cute.

Oh my apologies, I didn’t make this clear:
The team isn’t just working on Hungry Elves. On second thought, I think I’ll do a proper introduction post in the introduction section of the forum instead of explaining all that here. As I said, I’ll do it later today, once I have talked to the team members properly.

-Erron

4 Likes

Is there like a discord server or the like one can join to get more regular updates on all the games that are being worked on?

There is a discord server, though for now only for the devs. No worries though, we plan to open it up to everyone once we have the first demo of the reimagining done, which should be very soon.

5 Likes

Literally created an account just to be updated in this, I’m really excited about this game, hope it’s good

2 Likes

will all the original characters be in the game or will there be new ones added?

I have edited the first post to reflect what’s happened, but I’ll copy the text over for those of you who don’t want to scroll back up.

It is with a truly heavy heart and more than a little bit of repressed tears that I hereby announce that the reimagining of Hungry Elves, Eternalland - A Tale of Hungry Elves, is hereby cancelled due to a lack of interest from the team to keep working on the game at all.

I apologize to anyone and everyone who was looking forward to the game, I am sure this isn’t the news you were hoping for, but I assure you that I share in your sadness and disappointment.

Warning: Moping ahead! If you don’t want to read it, then feel free to skip to the next BOLD line!

You know, when I started this project I had two main reasons for it. The first was that I wanted to take the game that had originally brought me into the community and into writing and re-vitalize it to show people what I saw in it, to really bring out its potential so to say.

The second and far more selfish one was that I wanted to show that you can make something great as a team, that you don’t need to be some artist-writer-programmer savant to make a good game and that a group of talented people can make something truly great.

And here I am now, much like Pagliacci. Not that I am highly intelligent, but I sure am a sad clown. Teaches me to reach for the starts, I suppose.

I should mention that I’m not exactly mad at the others and I don’t want people to be mad at them either. Most of them found their own passions elsewhere, and that’s fine. I’m just sad that everyone else gets their turn except for me, but that’s just me whining.

Moping over, feel free to read on!

But anyway, as I have said I am sorry. I also don’t really know what will happen with the team. Maybe we’ll do somethig, maybe we won’t. I know for sure that I myself am not leaving anytime soon. As much as disappearing from the forum and taking my shame with me sounds appealing, that’s not the right thing to do.
Still, I think I’ll stick to helping out others from now on, since apparently I don’t make for a good project lead. Who knows, maybe you’ll be the next person who will catch my attention?

See you around, everyone… Though not in this project, unfortunately.

-Erron

10 Likes

That’s a shame to hear, I loved the original game and a reimaging of the game and concept sounded good. Especially with the art/character previews that were shown off, but unfortunately these things happen. Thank you for taking the time to update us about the status of the project, as unfortunate as it might be.

RIP…
You think you guys are up to at least posting what you have done or the files?

1 Like

I know it honks out loud to have to cancel a project that you’re hyped about but try to show yourself a bit of kindness. It’s an unfortunate truth that, sometimes, you can assemble a group of the most talented individuals out there only to realise too late that they just don’t mesh as a team. That’s not your fault; that’s just how it goes. Try not to let one stumble trick you in to thinking your ideas are bad. Assembling a team to make a game together is a cool idea. Making a spiritual successor to a game you love is a cool idea. They didn’t work out this time but next time they might.

Anyway, you’re good at what you do and I’m glad you’re sticking around. Look after yourself.

I don’t really want to release the current build since I still have SOME hope of getting this thing done at some point.
The main issue really was the fact that our main programmer basically dipped out on the project in favor or something else without officially quitting the project altogether. The other programmers we got offers from a bit back also didn’t really respond anymore so we were stuck in this weird, prolonged death rattle where we were still DOING things, but nothing was getting done. Originally I put it up to a vote to cancel this or not and our sprite- and map artist basically cut that short by saying he won’t work on it until that whole thing is resolved.
The scripts for the entire first part are actually done, including the dating scripts for all the girls included in the first part of the game. They have been done for almost two years, but they were getting implemented extremely slowly, which lead to a sort of death rattle that went on for very long due to the afformentioned dev.
So in short: The project isn’t dead or up for adoption, I’m just officially cancelling it so people don’t have to sit by and wait in uncertainty. One of my friends is working on a game but after that may help me, or I could try to see if this draws in any people interested as well.
Even if it does though, I wouldn’t announce the return of the game in case it ends up falling through. I would wait until we would have an actual bit of game to show to you guys.
For now, consider the project in a coma. Practically dead but hanging on by a thread or two. Not beyond help, but most likely not going to wake up anytime soon either.

7 Likes

I knew I had a feeling that some of these weight gaming projects were going to be cancelled at the last minute due to lack of interest.

1 Like

you could try and see if anyone wants to take the reigns of the project, a legacy for a different group to try or so this hound thinks
its kind of like those projects that take more than life time to complete, sometimes the best to do is find a successor

1 Like

Damn that’s heartbreaking to hear that it’s cancelled. I loved the original so much and kept checking back in on this project hoping I’d see a release one day. Now I’m still holding out hope for you to find a new team or some other way to complete this.

What parts of the team are you missing? I have a basic understanding of RPGmaker MV and I’d be willing to help revive this.

The og was one of the best games on the site and I’d love to see it get revamped. I don’t usually get involved with this community, but this game has a lot of potential and i don’t want to see it get thrown into limbo.

2 Likes

huh, almost been a full year since the last post. Funny.

Hi, I’m PlusParsnips! And I have a few things to talk about here about Eternalland!

So, when the game was original cancelled, it wasn’t necessarily Cancelled-Cancelled. Erronwulf decided to pick me up as a programmer and see if we can get something together, revive it without the pressure of expectations on us!

Unfortunately, things still didn’t really work out as well it did. Cookie crumbles and all that jazz. There isn’t likely much in the near future for that idea to be reasonable and it’s probably better at this point for all of us involved to do our own things. At the point we were getting to, we were starting to get overwhelmed with navigating our own ideas, integrating them into the old game, and just how much we punished the MV file structure with a straight import of everything from the original Hungry Elves…

But there was still enough around to work off of and it isn’t like the original game isn’t still playable. Bare minimum, it is an engine port of a VXAce game, giving a lot of people easy creativity, and my additions did help it feel somewhat more modern.

So as an early Christmas present, we decided to just send you all the files and work we’ve already mustered together! Perhaps you have some idea of your own of how the story would continue, want to finish what was made, or just want to see more of the hard work @Erronwolf, @Cj-x4.3, @WonkyWankit, @LuLuLuFooFooo, me, and all the others that had a hand in wrangling this beast to something worth showing.

Here is a decompiled version of all the files. You will need RPGMaker MV to open and view it.

Here is a compiled version. Play this if you don’t have your own copy of RPGMaker MV. There are no guarantees this will play well, testing was far off on the horizon, but it should at least get you through the first act of the game. The end of the “demo” would be after the Accalia fight, but there’s nothing stopping you from seeing how far you can get before the game just implodes under its own weight~. Otherwise I recommend just opening the www folder and going through the images and the like.

So yeah, that’s Eternalland for you. An interesting project for many of us, warts and all.

For those still wanting a taste of Erron’s writing chops and the like, you can look up Seeds of Destiny, Royal Banquet, and many other projects around here.

As for me…well, this does free up more of my own plate to get back to making my own game. I will…try to do something with it soon, but no promises, 'kay?

See you all around!

EDIT: Quick aside, don’t try bothering asking for help on how to progress or such, most of us wish to try to move on for the time being. There is a small chance we will return like a phoenix, but for the time being respect our decision to be ashes and dust.

15 Likes

… mayhaps this being a commuinity project could be interesting