Feeder Fantasy by Fallboy

thanks going to try it now

1 Like

Yeah the codes would be in Japanese and I don’t speak the language so with machine translation and not being near the file to take a look I don’t remember what they are. But they normally give like max food inventory items, max money, all church items. That kind of thing but this will probably be less of a hassle.

Alright, I think it’s been quite a while at this point. We’re either not getting those files, or it’ll be at the whimsy of whenever the old modders happen to remember the project and show up here by coincidence, and who knows how long that’ll take.

If we were to attempt to translate 5.0 given what we have, what steps would we need to take? Is there anything that can be directly salvaged from the previous version, or would the lines have to be replaced one by one from scratch, presumably via a fresh application of translator++? Is there anything we could do to help with that without getting terribly involved in the design process, such as compiling Kitsune’s rewritten final versions of the lines?

What about new, 5.0-exclusive text? To what degree would the output of translator++ need to be cross-referenced and rewritten?

Just trying to get a better mental picture of how much work this would all be.

6 Likes

To properly translate Bokumajo I had to decrypt the contents and copy everything to a new game with a brand-new JS folder in particular. I could do that with Feeder Fantasy 5.0, then copy the previous version’s TLs over the old content before working on the new ones if I’m selected to work on this.

Alternatively, I could work off the previously translation and copy the events from 5.0 into it as I translate them. I’m really not sure what the fuss is with the translator++ is considering I don’t use it for my TLs.

I’ve been considering throwing my hat into this for a while, although both the desire not to step on more-established translators’ work and the fact that Feeder Fantasy goes well beyond what I consider erotic have made me hesitate. I can’t fault Murasaki Honey on their quality, but those faces…

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of a game called bokumajo, got a link to your translation project?

I think the least time consuming method would be to open v4 and v5 in translator++ then copy paste the old lines across one by one. It’s tedious but not difficult.

It would be nice if someone with an understanding of Japanese could do this part so they can identify any changes to the old lines made in this version and update the translation. Instead of blindly copying the old lines over. For example I think the passwords have been changed in v5 so they’d have to change those lines.

After that only the new lines will have to be done from scratch. Once we have a compete translation of the vanilla game I can open it in game maker and start porting over the Kitsune’s modifications.

As for why I prefer doing it it in translator++. Not only is it faster and easier than manually modifying the JS files or dealing with rpgmaker’s terrible UI. It also lets you save the translation as a patch file separate from the original game files. If we had the v4 patch file we could have applied it to v5 and instantly had the old translation back. Then we’d only have to translate the new lines.

I’d rather not directly translate the game files again and shoot ourselves in the foot when v6 comes out.

3 Likes

If you think it’d be simple enough to learn, I could try and do this. I could also just analog translate all the new lines while I’d be at it, which is better than MTL anyway.

What resources do I need to look at to learn how to use this software? Is there any way to get a full list of the translated lines from modded 4.0, perhaps using the same software, or would I have to get the raw and just find them in-game in the modded version to compare?

2 Likes

You can download it hare https://dreamsavior.net/download/
Scroll down and download the public version win64.
When you first launch it it’ll tell you there are new updates. You can ignore them since those updates are only for patreons and will fail to install for you. Just close that window
The next window asks which addons you want to install. The only one you need is the RPGmaker trans. Click download and install then close the addon window.

Now click new project, RPGmaker then browse to the game.exe inside the ff v5 folder and click create project.
The list on the left shows all the game’s JS files which is where the text lives. When you click one, the dialog will show up in the table to the right.
Now you can click on one of the empty columns and type the translated text into the gray box on the bottom. Columns farther to the right override columns to their left. For example if you type something into both the Initial and better translation columns, The batter translation column will show up in the game.

Before you start translating you’ll wanna click the button with the google translate logo and the green checkmark in the top menu and click translate now. That will machine translate everything for you and save you time translating simple lines that will already be done properly.

Now open translator++ in another window and open ffv4 the same way. Put both windows side by side and copy paste over the already translated dialog. Be aware that the line numbers won’t always match up between versions due to content differences.

Be aware that translator++ won’t automatically wrap the text to fit into the dialog window in game. Long lines will run off the edge of the screen ingame and get cut off. You have to manually hit enter to start a new line to stop that from happening. The already translated lines from v4 will already be fine but when you do the new ones try to keep lines to a max of 43 characters long.

When you want to test in game you click the syringe button and pick a target directory different to where the Japanese game folder is. Apply translation and it’ll create a translated copy of the game.

5 Likes

Alright, think I’ve got the measure of it. Unfortunately, whether due to modding changes or just the 5.0 update, lots of text is in fact dislocated from its original 4.0 directory, so this is gonna turn into a tedious treasure hunt. I’ll try to get back to you in a couple days.

6 Likes

You are doing God’s work my guy.

@ShoeSnail One more quick question actually:

There are a number of places where Kitsune split lines up into multiple in order to add some extra facial portrait changes mid-conversation. How should I best go about indicating those? Make a noticeable comment in the text itself, since it’s gonna have to go through another pass later anyways to replace the male MC with Sura? Or would you rather I just keep a list of notes in a separate document?

Edit: Gonna do both for the time being, so notes about stuff I’m unsure of take highest priority in the .trans file and replace text to make them unforgettable, but also I’m making general notes about stuff that needs to be modified or re-added in a simple .txt. Feel free to tell me if you’d rather something else

6 Likes

Putting notes directly in the trans file makes the most sense. That way they’ll show up in game maker when I’m doing my pass.
Feel free to keep notes however you prefer. As long as I can read them I can work with them.

Also, thank you for working on this. I know it’s a lot of work and I hope the community appreciates the effort you’re putting in. Take as much time as you need, there is no need to rush. It’s just a silly fetish game after all.

5 Likes

Guys, i’ve just downloaded the game but when i open i can’t play. It says “Loading Error, failed to load img/characters/” and then japanese words. Help?

Delete the extracted files, change your windows locale to Japanese then extract again.
If you don’t want to do that read my post above Feeder Fantasy by Fallboy - #478 by ShoeSnail

1 Like

Quick update, I’m done with Alicia, Karen, everything outside in the streets, and most of the smaller buildings/maps. Well over the halfway point in terms of quantity of lines, but I’m just now starting on the new Church questline, which I’m gonna have to do from scratch and thus will probably take a fair while.

I’ve got a question for you all: After I’m done with this, would anyone be interested in a really shitty version of the game with all the text properly translated, but no playtesting or facial portrait scripting done? Or would you rather wait for a more complete build? I could produce the former with like an extra hour or so of work, but it’d be rife with awkward errors. Only wanna do it if there’s demand.

9 Likes

well, i have tool can help to test it, i will happy to apply

I’m fine with waiting for a more polished version personally. The writing has been very good in the last translations. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Having just found this game, and only just finished getting through it, I say you should take your time. Getting to see such an awesome ‘final’ version, as compered to all the negative comments at the start…
I’d rather see more awesomeness after a long wait, as opposed to a rushed mess.
Also really glad that people are still working on this.

3 Likes

You’re honestly the goat for doing this my guy

1 Like

Done. Plenty of questions to ask and further edits to be made, but for the most part, all the old text is transferred over, and all the new text is translated. I tried my best to make the fatspeak consistent with Kitsune’s work from the early builds.

Not up to me to determine when a playable build will be out, but I can say that I’m in a temporary development server rn to facilitate quicker communication while working on this. Give your well wishes to @Shimerror and @ShoeSnail

13 Likes