Fill Me Up (Formally "Untitled renpy feedee game") "January" update now available on Patreon.

I’m pretty sure the images & videos just aren’t being compressed.

That said, 3gb isn’t all that big relative to AAA games like CoD that are 60gb, so it’s not an unreasonably large filesize.

1 Like

I specifically said it is large for this site, not in compression to AAA games

1 Like

It’s the weird style of the game, following in the footsteps of other modern Ren’py VNs with 3D characters.

Instead of making bust and portraits for scenes, they instead create individual CGs for every shot, including ones of them just talking. While this creates more a feeling of developed world, especially since you can have actual 3D backgrounds show up, it also means it bloats the file size faster than Akane’s weight gain.
Student Transfer and Press-Switch are games with their big file sizes because they have YEARS of content added onto it, while stuff like Fill Me Up, Weighting Game, a wide variety of dating sims on Itch.io and the like are sort of just a bad practice. It really does make me wish we move these kinds of games towards stuff like Unity or Godot, as 3D VNs are quite an untested field and one I quite enjoy.

I just don’t like filling up my SSD so much with 'em…

There’s also the compression issue, as many of them use lossless .pngs for their CGs, over something like lossy .webps, so that…is a big deal…

3 Likes

Bro just get an external drive. 3gb is not that big

2 Likes

I have 200+gb free space, I don’t have a problem with that. I just mentioned that for a game like this a compressed file being 3gb seems pretty off so I asked what’s the reason for it.

1 Like

Mostly due to images and gifs being uncompressed. Their file format are being changed so the size will be reduced for coming updates. 3 GB really isn’t very much tho, I have another fetish game that is closing in on 10 GB by this point. Indie developers are mostly not trained in file compression

3 Likes

.png suxxors compared to .webp in terms of filesize of renpy games specifically :stuck_out_tongue:

But I think this was already covered by me month(s) ago

2 Likes

Have you seen that ren’py now supports AVIF, even better compression.
Might be worth looking into.

2 Likes

Have you seen that ren’py supports oversampling images? Even worse compression! (Could be nice though for zooms and transforms?)

The avif is a bit of a mystery to me though I guess I could test it,
but I had just gotten used to webp

I assume the 444 is something about color bit-depth?

2 Likes

Yeah the 444 is color depth.
I am personally still using webp for a while, AVIF is still in its infancy.
But if I were to start making a new project I would certainly go 1080p or even 1440p on the images considering that the tech for better compressions is right around the corner so there are no worries about 10GB games.

Same goes for AV1 on the animations, here the issue is compatibility. AV1 without hardware decoding would be a big CPU hog and would cause issues on older systems. This wouldn’t be worth it in my opinion.

Supersampled images would only be useful for zooming I would say.

4 Likes

I have a couple of terrabites of hard drive as well as a SSD. Don’t care how big it is! Also many gigabites of memory.

4 Likes

That’s great but not everyone has TBs of data storage.

3 Likes

hey i just wanna go along with ur patreon but i dont got a card or paypal can i use smth else like 5$ google store or any kind of cards

1 Like

What do you use to pay for stuff if you don’t have a bank card? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

And yeah i will trust the one who made the game and i’ll give him the store first and after whatever he give me a google account with a patreon login in it or any other way to reach the full game i’m really interested

1 Like

Yep my country does not has any of those cards it’s Libya u can search urself

1 Like

the game have an alternative link for download beside mega?

1 Like

Did something happen to bobo?

2 Likes

I’d say just busy he had some irl work/job responsibilities to get done.

9 Likes

Goes from one absence to the next, a story far too common in the fetish game business if you ask me

3 Likes