FOOD (a WG Doomclone) v0.21

Thanks for playing!

Level design and sound design are things I have very little experience with, so your input is very much appreciated. The current state of the maps is a little bit filler-y. I’ll add alert sounds, and maybe try and improve general audibility.

I might switch the clowngirls from homing projectiles to dumbfire AOE ones, the guaranteed damage at range was probably a poor choice for run & gun gameplay. Will also look into reworking some other things you’ve mentioned.

This is something I was thinking about! This will probably go on the intermission screen instead of the flat background.

Wasn’t this already done, but with bunnies, and the cast of that fatty office game who’s name escapes me?

Think you could update with some screenshots?

1 Like

The game is definitely good, I can definitely say that I liked it

1 Like

15 Likes

The game you are thinking of is Sweet! by ImpossibleSnail. It’s on itch.io.

2 Likes

loved this game so far! Can’t wait to see what you cook up in the future!

This is lovely! Honestly, it has so much charm to it! I really hope you keep working on it, and give us a way to donate/support this.

Two things bothered me, however, one which is an actual problem is the cream launcher has an annoying issue with the audio that. The other doesn’t matter so much, but would be nice as quality of life, looking vertically. I get that wasn’t how it was in the 90’s, but it’s a bit jank nowadays and a bit annoying to shoot enemies above or below you. Another good option might be an option to toggle sprint by default.

Just my thoughts, however! The art and feel of the game, as I said before, are lovely. :two_hearts:

This game is awesome. It is a little dark but turning your brightness up a bunch helps.
My only real critique is I wish the weapons were bound to number keys instead of just the mouse scroll wheel.

1 Like

Loved it! I would LOVE to see more levels and more enemies in the future! This was actually a good bit fun to play, but if I had one suggestion, it would be to add secrets to all levels as I was looking for secrets in two levels that did not have any. 9/10

1 Like

Updated! Thanks to everyone who suggested improvements, I put a lot of them in there.

4 Likes

I just got done playing da new update and it’s definitely an improvement over v0.1

• Maps are now brighter and map design is better overall, particularly for the fourth level.

• The chaingun is now good, very good vs the clowns, fries, and undead guards but the shotgun is better at dealing with the burger pinkies/specters. Also the fact it’s ammo economy isn’t the best stops it from invalidating the shotgun.

• The fat armor feels more useful now, although I didn’t keep track of the exact change in damage mitigation, it definitely feels more impactful.

• Clowngirls now are no longer the most dangerous non boss enemy and now all non clown enemies are more dangerous, which is nice.

Now on to the so so stuff I found

• Enemies now have alert sounds and firing sounds but they are all really quiet, I had to cut the music volume in half to hear them. Also alert sound over distance are barely perceivable , which isn’t all that bad now, but it is going to be an issue if the maps sight lines get bigger and more dangerous hitscan enemies are introduced (i.e. chaingunners and archviles)
    I’d bump up these sounds a bit and increase the range where the player can hear them.

• The twins now no longer take nearly all of your ammo and are more active in using their non lightning attacks, however this gives them a really strict attack pattern, they will shoot lightning, then do a shoulder charge, and finish with a butt stomp and then start all over again. I can’t tell if this is intentional or not but i’d change up their attack parameters a bit, give a bit more randomization so they aren’t so predictable.

Lastly I have a game breaking bug involving the twins:

• If one of them tries to charge you while you are near a ledge, they will do a butt stomp and fly off the platform to their death, preventing you from getting one of the keys making the level impossible to finish.
    I’d add a invisible wall so that doesn’t happen, or have a invisible wall that only stops enemies if you still want the player to be able to fall to their death.

Lastly some misc feed back for ya:

I’m seconding having 1-0 key binds for weapons, while the scroll wheel works, it’s a bit awkward to use in the middle of a fight as you might scroll past the weapon you wanted.

Overall, really good update, glad you continued working on this!

2 Likes

you need mouse wheel to swap weapons? damn, I only have a top roller mouse

1 Like

Shit! I think this is a bug involving their navigation AI deciding they’re off the navmesh and moving them to the origin of the scene. I thought I fixed it when it didn’t happen for a bit, I guess not. I’ll see what I can do about that.

I’ll play around with the probabilities a little bit. The charge-and-stomp is treated as one move, they’ll stomp after charging no matter what. They can still sometimes just do the stomp, maybe they should do that more often or have longer possible cooldowns.

Oh, and I did this! It’s buried in the changelog, I should add it to the manual probably.

Fuck this reminds me I forgot to add joystick support!

Okay, another tiny update to fix that bug and add a couple other things. v0.2 will hopefully have a new episode and more content in… maybe another month or so.

found a bug, you cant swap weapons when out of ammo for current weapon

Update is awesome, really like the end level elevator cutscene that shows off how big the MC is getting.
Can’t wait for more levels and enemies.
If I were to add anything it would be more WG details. I really like the way the screen and the belly waddle left to right at higher weight levels, dunno if you can add this easily, but louder more audible footsteps as the MC gets heavier would be a neat touch and a louder “THUMP” when you land after falling. Maybe a button pop/cloths tearing sound when you reach max fatness. But yeah, making the MC feel even heavier at higher weight levels would be cool.

Yep, that’s a bug! You’re doing the lord’s work, have another update.

These are excellent ideas! I’ll add them to the to-do list. Also maybe an optional head-bob effect that gets more pronounced at higher weights.

2 Likes

I can’t continue to the next level no matter what I press. Escape doesn’t work either, the only button that works in fact is restarting the level.
If you enter the carbopedia, you can’t leave since the close button doesn’t work

That sucks! I’m not able to reproduce these bugs on my end. On the end of level screen, the restart button is the only one that’s looking for a specific key press instead of using Unity’s input system. According to the Unity forums some gamepads can override keyboard input, so that’s a possible culprit if you have any other kind of input device connected.

I have less of an idea about the carbopedia button thing. It does call a function to save the entries you viewed to your progress file, something might be breaking there. In that case clearing your data using the button on the bottom right of the title screen might help.