Growing Port Lee

So this might just be a string of good luck, but I may have found a way to avoid crashes at Allison’s store. You need to walk straight through to the back wall, then straight over to her, ending right beside her, but closer to the back wall.

This is really helpful, so thank you. My lack of patience caused me to stop playing much too early, then.

Good point. You shouldn’t even be able to eat sticks and stones. (They’ll break your bones! And by bones, I am specifically referring to teeth.) I would prefer the weight change mechanic be based on some relationship between energy and calories. Fishing (-5 energy) and then eating the fish (+5 energy) in my mind should be the way to maintain one’s weight at the starting size, so that baseline in my mind should be the weight level of the character times four (the calorie count of a fish). The big question is how to factor energy usage into the equation, since weight changes are shown in semi-real-time (entering a building, as opposed to going to bed). Even if it does not have an effect on weight, at the very least, energy should ideally also be affected by movement, especially at the higher weight levels.

Finally, I always like to end my posts here on a positive note, so I want to announce that @Chubberdy has the best character sprite-work I have ever seen in this game. The details are the replay-able factor for sure. The hypnotic jiggles during the mesmerizing walk animation cycles make the slower motion rate worth it. I am still in awe over how they are able to show weight gain in all parts of the body in such a small sprite. Once the character dialogues adjust to reflect the weight changes being depicted, this game will become my favorite one, despite its simplistic gameplay.

4 Likes

A lot of minor bugs/visual issues that need to be fixed still, but hopefully this will stop major crashes (and probably cause fun new crashes…)

V0.3.3

Changelog

-reconfigured how item description text gets written to try and prevent crashes when talking to shop keepers (haven’t been able to recreate this one on my end so it might not be fixed)
-fixed collision box not updating properly/at the same time as the sprite, should prevent getting stuck in the wardrobe
-calorie counts now broken into “none”, “low”, “medium”, and “high” instead of specific values, effects on weight are consistent between different calorie levels
-calorie levels carry over to NPC gifts (given that it’s something they like), some NPCs do have different calorie requirements to get to different weight stages though (Carlile is a little faster since he starts at a higher base weight, and Roberta gains 10% faster since you see her less right now)
-salt now obtainable by shaking rocks
-new recipe and unlock quest for Carlile

6 Likes

Quick fix to stop new game crashes.

V0.3.4

10 Likes

Great bug fixes. Maybe this is because I started with existing characters from V0.32, but I encountered two inconveniences, one of which is a bug:

• (Bug) Most fishing spots are no longer operable, likely attributable to the updated collision boxes. The only ones that seem to be functional are the ones that you approach from the north via grass or sand. This might only apply to characters loaded from prior versions and/or characters that are medium weight (in my case, energy capped at 22) and higher.
  • I have yet to unlock Carlile’s quest, unless it was connected to obtaining the new recipe. Not sure if it requires some condition(s), a new game, or maybe even just more patience.

I was a tad disappointed (perhaps even a bit salty?) that there was not as much humor in the salt item description as I had expected. On the bright side, I found it funny that at the max weight, your collision box is so big that you can no longer walk on the dock.

2 Likes

At some point during spring of year 2, these two fishing spots stop functioning.

My character is too fat to test now, but I believe it is possible for a character to get trapped in the corner to the right of Carlisle if he expands into one of the higher weight categories while your character is standing there.

2 Likes

Correction: Time doesn’t matter. It seems to be that size and larger that’s just unable to fish in those slots, along with pretty much any horizontal fishing spot in the map. Fishing spots that are directly above or below where the character stands can still be accessed, but ones you have to stand to the left or right of become inaccessible.

3 Likes
Just making sure only people who want to know see this spoiler.

Max weight, just like in Spacethumper, caps at 14 total stages, with your stats being 16 energy and 6 capacity. (A little mildly infuriating to OCD people like me; the numbers aren’t a multiple of five)

3 Likes

Also, completely hypothetically, if a spriter were to make sprites for another weight stage(or more, if allowed) for free, would you put make another weight stage in-game?

5 Likes

That’s a toughie. I suppose if it included all the options/outfits and was formatted properly I wouldn’t be totally against it.

7 Likes

Absolutely no clue if this belongs in its own topic, but I made a quick sketch.

16 Likes

This game looks great so far! I’m a huge fan of Spacethumper, and I’m so excited to see ya working on another game!
I did seem to find a bug, which is that at bigger sizes, fishing spots no longer seem to work properly. Some of them work just fine, but others, like the one below the wooden bridge to the right of the player house, seem to break once your character gets fat enough. I definitely had enough energy, and fishing at other spots still worked fine. It only seems to break sometimes.

Also I wanted to ask, does gifting NPCs currently do anything? Or is it just to test the gifting mechanic?

2 Likes

Gifting NPCs does eventually size them up (Allison grows really quick). Also, some fishing spots become inaccessible due to the player’s size. Any fishing spots you can approach from above, I recommend using.

1 Like

what are the all the NPC favorite items.

2 Likes

If no one opposes it, I’ll post a list with two spoiler protections as soon as I figure out the frog twins, Quinn, and Frank.

7 Likes

So far, I love the new update, but I have a few suggestions, and a question (Keep in mind I’m still at winter, first year, so maybe I am missing something.)

Suggestions:
Some method of weight loss excluding eating literal sticks and rocks, I just find that kind of offputting. Maybe use some of the empty map space for a gym building with another NPC to interact with?

Since Roberta is seen 1/4 of the time, and you can only give one gift per day, I think she should gain a bit faster than 10%. Alternatively, you could increase the limit on her gifts per day to 4. Also, she’s missing a happy portrait.

Dialogue from npcs noting when you or they have gone up a weight class. This wasn’t something I cared about in the UFG days, but now that weight ups are way fewer and farther between, I think they should have more impact.

it also could be fun for npcs to move around as the seasons change, going inside houses in the winter, going out to field areas in spring and summer, stuff like that. Might also be fun for them to gain different amounts of weight depending on the season, more in the winter and fall, normal in spring and summer, to signify this lifestyle change.

As for questions:
Quinn doesn’t seem to have a favorite food. Is there one? I feel like the gapple pie would make the most sense, but the baked rotato would be funny if not (oops this is kind of a suggestion too)

Is there any purpose beyond just funsies for all the different fish types? I’m not complaining if there isn’t, I love a good bestiary.

5 Likes

please do, I want a list of npc likes so bad

6 Likes

Hi

Im kinda new here and this game catched my eye. may i have an instruction or a tutorial on how to cheat some money :thinking:

1 Like
  1. Go to “%homepath%\AppData\Local\Growing_Port_Lee”

2. Open the save file of which save you want to edit, example “Savedata1.ini”

3. find Money and change the value to what you want, I recommend 1000000

4. save and load the save

6 Likes

…and I’ve been modifying values in Cheat Engine this whole time like a maniac.

2 Likes

Aye, Frank likes

Slima Bean Pies
, if you haven’t figured that out yet

3 Likes