Honey Combat Request Posts

Wow, this was a very well-thought-out and thorough post, I really thank you for that!
Our team will definitely dissect these ideas. You really did bring a lot of new concepts to the table.

and yeah… the dating sim is unofficially being made by another guy. We did greenlight it, but we don’t take responsibility nor have control over what they do. Sorry, it has fooled many of you guys : /

(Btw, mind sending me the bee dance article?)

4 Likes

Bee game is made. That pro from the left field is like. It’s time for me to shine. :musical_note: muisc :musical_note: :joy:

Less a suggestion and more a question,
What’s going on with ‘scene/main/timer.cpp’ in the console side of things?
I see it pop up whenever the enemy queen goes to do a screen wipe.
I have a smidge of cpp experience and was wondering what was going on under the hood with that error.

2 Likes

i do want to say that there should be ways to prefent stalemates trough abilities (these whould cost a lot of polen and atleast require a level 2 queen to use) or trough enhanced units for more deep stratagies

2 Likes

Related to Some of the Ideas, but both fanart/concept art for one Unit Idea (And depending on mood may trying to make more concepts but that depends and even if the concepts work)

The Brawler “She will bring the smack down to break the lines, if she doesn’t break first”
*Forgot to add she would be able hourglass or big breasts xp

Brawlers is Strong Melee Pusher, when she enters the field she will charge at the enemies dealing not only a massive hit but forcing other enemy units go backwards, making room for more units to push up, targeting a unit causing trouble and/or get an edge in a fight
However, After her charge (Which can have a cooldown or its a one time hit), She is a Mini Guard (She can punch as fast as Guard but lacks HP and Damage) she also weak against Ranged Units and her charge can be counter complete with a Stomper

3 Likes

Most good ideas have been posted but I feel like having the option to upgrade the different types of honey after battles would be nice, adding more replayability to the game, and possibly adding more weight stages. Another idea is, if you give a bee the same type of honey they have more of a buff or different looks idk, that would include a lot of balancing. Also, more stages would be kind of cool or environment based obstacles as to promote using different strategies

1 Like

no idea but it sounds like i didn’t clean up something with a timer node

If Ano’s idea of having different bees and wasps exist to serve as general enemies may I suggest a possible conquest mode, where you lead the main hive onto defeating other opponents in the area to fully claim territory? With this it can allow for other possible ideas to be implemented if needed while adding a little bit more to the game.

I would also like to point out that ants and termites also have queens, and each do have flying variants. Could allow for a possible choice for the player while making bees, wasps, ants, and termites have a particular focus to their strategy. However this would require unique sprites, as well as other unit types possibly, if ants and termites were added.

1 Like

Conquest a whole map like in the classic Battlefront 2? I’m not sure if I exactly know what you mean

1 Like

Well for ants
Honeypot ants could be medics or support unit that buffs units with their own honey?

2 Likes

Just a simple conquest map, one where you either initiate conflict or conflict finds you (mainly at your base). For example, say you’re a new hive in a local area (could be a tree, bush, or some other locale that bees like to build nests in) and that area is filled with other opponents that are vying for dominance. (Right now the closest thing I can think of is like Sea of Fire, a flash game, where you take territories belonging to you before striking the the enemy with your stronger economy).
Why your side and the others want to control that area is up to you (whether its for survival, power, or simple insects not liking each other) however, this can allow for base building as well as having different maps/stages to show the changing area. This can allow for base building opportunities, by taking more and more control and gaining more resources allows you to expand your hive and allow you to handle even tougher battles (prior idea of increase pollen production, troop buffs, etc.).

2 Likes

that sounds like a great idea however probably better for a different game, scale wise i don’t think the team wants it to get that big.

3 Likes

I’m gonna start by saying that I think a good way to draw on ways to make this game more interesting is to look at the old flash games Age of War and Age of War 2. They were pretty similar in concept to this game: there’s 1 lane, and you need to manage your budget by strategically sending out units to counter the enemy and destroy their base. AoW was engaging for a few different reasons, but there’s one in particular I want to apply to HoneyCombat.

Not only did you have to keep track of money and decide when to save up for a powerful unit and when to send in the grunts, you also had to worry about “ages.” Periodically, the enemy would upgrade their base and get stronger, with better units and turrets at their disposal. The game started in the “prehistoric” age before progressing to the early civilization, medieval, early modern, modern, and finally future ages, and you had to pay a hefty fee to keep up with the enemy. This added a layer of strategy wherein you had to concern yourself with both long-term and short-term strategy.

This can apply to HoneyCombat through an upgrade system: you could choose to spend pollen on upgrades as well as units. The enemy could also do the same, and you’d get alerts whenever it did. These upgrades could include things like turrets, upgrades to specific types of units (read: BIGGER.), passive abilities, or even spells you can manually activate, like a bomb thrown into enemy lines. The upgrade tree could be a separate menu you bring up in the middle of a fight, whether or not it should pause the game depends on whether you want the player to have time to weigh their options.

this is some more ambitious shit and it's long so i'm condensing it

Now to get into the more ambitious stuff, piggybacking on other peoples’ suggestions, I’m on-board with bolstering player expression with different types of units. There are 2 ways to go about this: factions and “loose” units.

Factions are a bit of a large-scale direction to go in, but they allow you to set strictly define playstyles and more easily balance units. In this way, every faction has 5 types of units and different strengths and weaknesses. They can be based around different types of insect. For instance (and I’m just spitballing here):

• Honeybees: The current playable faction. A jack of all trades that’s good for beginners.
  • Fire ants: Lots of offensive power. Just as the real animal can link together to form “boats,” the waxers and guards can “link” with a grunt to swing them around like a weapon, and artillery units can stand on each others’ shoulders; however, this puts more of your eggs in one basket, effectively reducing your army’s total defense.
  • Termites: Strong defense. Guards have an acid attack that reduces enemy damage, and waxers build stone walls to slow enemy progress; however, they cannot move once they do this.
  • Vulture bees: Does not regenerate pollen normally; instead, it gains more pollen from defeated enemies. High skill floor, but powerful units.

…just to give a sense of what I was envisioning. Again, this seems like it has a pretty broad scope, and it’d require a LOT of new art assets and MULTIPLE skill trees (if skill trees become a thing), so one way to maybe require fewer resources and give players more freedom is to add new units in a “loose” sense. Players can freely choose the makeup of their army, selecting a queen of their choice and either 1 unit for the 5 classes (waxer, artillery, etc.) or any combination of 5 units (which may be problematic for balance). Different units can fill their roles in weird ways, so you might have an artillery with single-target damage and one with AoE damage but poorer DPS, for instance.

As an addendum, I’d like to see some hard stats for the units in-game. It should be clear exactly how much HP and attack every thing does, and I didn’t understand at first that the stomper opens with an AoE attack just from reading the tutorial. This would help players weigh their options for what units to get next during the game.

3 Likes

hard states are coming, the grunts will always auto deploy, I don’t see the time mechanic working with this game sadly, I do have a plan to use something like that for a non-fetish game i want to make.

Honey combat won’t have upgraded units, you will unlock unit upgrades which you pick which go into battle with you, everything starts with the grunt.

now to read the crazy stuff.

if we add more insects they will be more like skins and maybe some ‘boss’ units that the player will not have access to.

1 Like

Then maybe perhaps go the Stick War route (another flash game) where you progress through a map fighting different factions? Unless that too is also too big of an idea.

2 Likes

thats what we are currently looking at, that or make it more like Eat the Dungeon’s world map

2 Likes

Game is pretty incredible right now (though short) so i’d be pretty stoked if this continued development!
I’ll just keep it simple and say i’d like to see a few more stages for the queen. Not too many more perks alongside it to the point it would wreck balancing, I just like making things bigger. Size is the prize.

3 Likes

balance is meant to be destroyed…

The repaired later.

4 Likes

Oh! Adding on to what the other guy said, extra stages of the queen would be cool! You could even have a stage or two smaller to have more overall growth occur! Seriously love the game btw, and the music is super good too!

5 Likes

one of my ideas is to have more troops first (some references if it doesn’t take a lot of work), also the evolution of the troops (or by how many enemies she defeats or another special kind of honey to evolve them this) and I´m new

(this evolution that I mentioned is of the troops that consumed the honey)

2 Likes