Kate's Uni Days

Signed myself up to the forum to follow this (though thanks to Jerkajerk’s DA for leading me here in the first place).
Thank you for making the game I immediately realised I’d always wanted to make! Really like the writing and the direction it’s going, looking forward to what you’ve got planned for Kate’s summer and years 2 and 3.

Possibly spoiler-y questions below…

[spoiler]
Technical things:
I seem to get inconsistent descriptions at the end of semester two - one or more of Kate’s flatmates can occasionally appear in the end of year description not to have changed all year despite taking the actions which should cause them to be larger. I think this is only happening at the end of the second semester, the photos on the pinboard before Christmas seem to be accurate every time.
Also, once I’ve had the mixer get stuck in my inventory rather than the kitchen after Christmas, with no ‘bake’ option. Didn’t have the wherewithal to drop it in the kitchen and see if that worked.

Actual game plot question:
Before I go completely mad, do the notebooks have a function? I don’t need them on my person to revise with Laura but no one else I’ve spoken to wants to take them or talk about them, and no other objects want anything to do with them either. I don’t want to deplete Kate’s student bank account unnecessarily when there are more calorific things to be bought later on! :P[/spoiler]

[quote=“Pilcrow, post:61, topic:1019”]Signed myself up to the forum to follow this (though thanks to Jerkajerk’s DA for leading me here in the first place).
Thank you for making the game I immediately realised I’d always wanted to make! Really like the writing and the direction it’s going, looking forward to what you’ve got planned for Kate’s summer and years 2 and 3.

Possibly spoiler-y questions below…

[spoiler]
Technical things:
I seem to get inconsistent descriptions at the end of semester two - one or more of Kate’s flatmates can occasionally appear in the end of year description not to have changed all year despite taking the actions which should cause them to be larger. I think this is only happening at the end of the second semester, the photos on the pinboard before Christmas seem to be accurate every time.
Also, once I’ve had the mixer get stuck in my inventory rather than the kitchen after Christmas, with no ‘bake’ option. Didn’t have the wherewithal to drop it in the kitchen and see if that worked.

Actual game plot question:
Before I go completely mad, do the notebooks have a function? I don’t need them on my person to revise with Laura but no one else I’ve spoken to wants to take them or talk about them, and no other objects want anything to do with them either. I don’t want to deplete Kate’s student bank account unnecessarily when there are more calorific things to be bought later on! :P[/spoiler][/quote]

Whoa, that’s a massive compliment that due to my Britishness I’m not 100% capable of handling, but thanks nonetheless! Also thanks to Jerkajerk, I tried to see on DA where he’d done that but couldn’t, so I’ll just say thanks over here xD

[spoiler]The inconsistency issue: I can’t really answer that. I’ve run through this multiple times and had no problems so if there’s any specific details you can share to help, feel free to PM and perhaps I can get to the bottom of that [Especially the mixer thing, that really shouldn’t be happening]

Re: Notebooks. No they’re completely useless at this point. You don’t need to worry about buying things though. They’re like a few quid anyway :P[/spoiler]

Been loving the update so far, but I’ve got a couple of things can’t figure out in it for the life of me. First, I can’t whatever new items it is that David’s looking for in Semester 2, although I’ve tried hunting all over the place after talking to him. Also, what exactly are you supposed to do with the snacks? I’ve run around trying to ask about and give them to everybody and none of those seem to do anything.

The answer to David is really really simple. That’s not much I can say to help there.

As for those snacks. This has cropped up several times now, and I’m glad this is tricky because it was meant to be intentionally sneaky. My clues are as follows. The snacks are not just for you and perhaps its a good idea to have them upon your person whilst doing something else.

[I really don’t want to spoil the answer to that one on the forum, for further clue-age, feel free to PM]

I think I’ve found a bug, mostly through my own silliness. Answering the door before speaking with your parents appears to trap them in the kitchen and make the game unable to progress.

Anyway, thanks for making this great game and I can’t wait to see what comes next!

[quote=“kestrel, post:65, topic:1019”]I think I’ve found a bug, mostly through my own silliness. Answering the door before speaking with your parents appears to trap them in the kitchen and make the game unable to progress.

Anyway, thanks for making this great game and I can’t wait to see what comes next![/quote]

Have you given Lily her present? Because that’s all I can think of. I had no problems when I tested it just now.

[quote=“JellyIdol, post:66, topic:1019”][quote=“kestrel, post:65, topic:1019”]I think I’ve found a bug, mostly through my own silliness. Answering the door before speaking with your parents appears to trap them in the kitchen and make the game unable to progress.

Anyway, thanks for making this great game and I can’t wait to see what comes next![/quote]

Have you given Lily her present? Because that’s all I can think of. I had no problems when I tested it just now.[/quote]

Ahhh, that was it! Thanks for the help.

Is there a command for revising with Laura? Every string I’ve thought of fails (‘help laura’, ‘revise with laura’, ‘study with laura’, etc). If the answer’s yes but you want that private too, please pm the answer. I’m also curious about the snacks so both would be appreciated. :stuck_out_tongue:

Same here, curious about both of those things.

After you clock the speak button is there something you have to say in order to talk to them because Everything I type in after hitting the speak to button it keeps saying I don’t understand your command. Am I supposed to say something in particular?

After some snooping in the save files, I found the problem; missing code. jellyidol can fix it if she does what she did for david1 (hint hint) but I can’t explain the workaround without giving away other stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a command. There’s nothing missing. Perhaps putting “help” in the dialogue was a mistake and a bit of a red herring, I can see where the frustration lies, but trust me it does work if you use the right command.

How did you deal with Isabella and the Spanish Module?

There’s your hint.

PS. I’m a guy…

Changed her dialogue so hopefully it’s less confusing now.

[quote=“JellyIdol, post:72, topic:1019”]There’s a command. There’s nothing missing. Perhaps putting “help” in the dialogue was a mistake and a bit of a red herring, I can see where the frustration lies, but trust me it does work if you use the right command.

How did you deal with Isabella and the Spanish Module?

There’s your hint.

PS. I’m a guy…[/quote]

Was able to turn her to the fat side, thanks for the tip. I’m excited to see this story and the girls grow.

Sadly that dialogue doesn’t really give me much more of a clue as to what to do with Laura (although it does remove the red herring). The action I used to deal with the Spanish module just gives “I don’t understand your command”.

-Ignored David quest in first semester but his dialog in the second refers to me finding the keys.
-The flour remains in my inventory after baking the cake. When the mixer is used again it refers to baking the cake, but no cake appears.

At the end of the second semester I checked Facebook and the results were at 40/30/20/10. I went into the bathroom and then came back to check facebook again. When I did, all the characters except Isabella were at 0, and Isabella was showing 20 pounds gained. Repeating this showed Isabella at 30, then 0. Are you incrementing character weights on entrance to the room or something?

[quote=“FluffRat, post:76, topic:1019”]
-Ignored David quest in first semester but his dialog in the second refers to me finding the keys.
-The flour remains in my inventory after baking the cake. When the mixer is used again it refers to baking the cake, but no cake appears.

At the end of the second semester I checked Facebook and the results were at 40/30/20/10. I went into the bathroom and then came back to check facebook again. When I did, all the characters except Isabella were at 0, and Isabella was showing 20 pounds gained. Repeating this showed Isabella at 30, then 0. Are you incrementing character weights on entrance to the room or something?[/quote]

All these are now fixed.

As for solutions, feel free to PM.

Not picking up the talking points in the second semester results in the rest of the world and characters not triggering their second semester dialogue, and they act as if it were the first semester. Picking up the points then resolves the issue.
P.Cool though.

[quote=“zeezle, post:78, topic:1019”]Not picking up the talking points in the second semester results in the rest of the world and characters not triggering their second semester dialogue, and they act as if it were the first semester. Picking up the points then resolves the issue.
P.Cool though.[/quote]

There’s literally no coding on the Talking Points at all so that definitely should not be happening. And I’ve playtested this several times now and I often pick up the points last so I have absolutely zero clue why that happened to you. If you can recreate it then I’d be interested to now the string of events, but if they didn’t trigger Semester 2 when you enter Semester 2, picking up the points DEFINITELY should not have fixed it xD

On replaying, it seems that the dialogue options for the people in the dorm don’t update until you take anything only found in the second semester.
As you can see in the picture (hopefully) The second semester has started but romance options and dialogue is acting as if it were Semester 1.