Monster rancher-like sim/rpg game

7 Likes

Hello, sorry for the silence, hard to update multiple forums efficiently.

latest UI update

11 Likes

The Ui looks awesome

2 Likes

Dang dude this is starting look incredibly fleshed out! i hope you arenā€™t driving yourself too hard for this. hereā€™s hoping everything will turn out ok!

1 Like

Eager for trying it!!!:joy:

1 Like

Took a while but the party and box systems are almost in order.

Battles are also shaping up, fights will mostly consist of 3v3 though when fighting in scenario/dungeons you will have to clear multiple waves.

Iā€™m also scrapping the idea of lessened control over the monsters for a more traditional approach, instead the player will charge their own gauge seen below and will be able to interfere with the fight with items, special commands and ultimate moves.

11 Likes

The 3v3 aspect reminds me of Monster Rancher EVO

Making the last few touches on the storage system (kinda like pokemon boxes)

At some point there will be separate boxes for proper organization, but for now, 1 huge box of 2000 slots.

8 Likes

How have I not seen this thread until now?

I really like the idea and how the UI and art are turning out (even if the UI is a little simple right now)

I do have to laugh at you mentioning thinking monster girls are ā€œnicheā€ in the OP though lol. You apparently do not realize the size of the possible fanbase for this

Anyway, if you need any ideas for what kinds of monsters to include, feel free to hit me up. Iā€™ve wanted to try designing (non-kink) Pokemon/SMT-like games with monster folks in them so Ive got like a bunch of lists of different kinds and ideas

2 Likes

Wow just found this, very interested! Looks like itā€™s got a lot of potential!

OMG this looks absolutely amazing! Is the muscle/fat actually going to be visually represented on the characters though? When you have this many types of characters and views of them (both front and behind?) that seems a little unsustainable lol. Really wouldnā€™t want you to get burnt out

Fat is currently visually represented in 2 stages, no plans to represent extra muscle or anything currently.
Base forms are meant to be the fittest forms, As far as what you can see so far:

Normal (Base) ā†’ Large (+50% avg weight) ā†’ Extra Large ( +100% avg weight)

and then there are transformations which are a larger part of the combat mechanics. Currently, only stuffing is implemented but they are 4 level states (also visually represented) that modify stats temporarily. at the highest levels (4) the character will usually be unable to fight so its like an alternate KO state.

Stuffed: Inflicted by feeding and/or force-feeding.
++HP regen, +Weight, -Mobility

Inflate: Applied by abilities or spells.
++Blunt Resistance, --Pierce Resistance, At level 3: Immunity to ā€œQuakeā€ type moves

there are 3 Others I havenā€™t planned out their effects of stat wise.

So what you get per monster in the end, should be around 60 different looks which sounds like a lot but probably isnā€™t as bad as you think apart from the 4th level a transformation is pretty much just a redraw of the base, like stuffing would just be the same sprite with a progressively enlarged belly. The 4th levels are the maxed out/ immobile versions which will feature unique poses.

The reason for delays is more because of other mechanics which Iā€™ve had to build from scratch myself. By default the engine Iā€™m using is for pretty straightforward classic jrpg style games so I have to set it up to handle things.

• Disposable party members, storage system, and easily moving them around in the party.
  • Capturing enemies and converting them into a party member.
  • Designing a battle system around the theme of ā€œtransformationā€
  • Coming up with a semi-unique skillset for every monster (somehow the most brain-busting)

Itā€™s better to get the Infrastructure out of the way first so that content delivery will be nice and smooth.

9 Likes

Sound really nice take youre time you do a great job. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of the girls is based on a pig. Cā€™mon! Sheā€™s just BEGGING for a fat variant!

1 Like

Small Update :cake:

Sorry for quiet periods, Iā€™ve been mostly posting updates on the discord, here are some things done,

Weight Gain/Loss System

Hereā€™s the first of the more ā€œSimulationā€ style elements, the game is running on its own time system as probably mentioned before, an in-game hour is around 1-2 irl minutes. In the picture above you will notice an addition to the Hud, this is where you will track the status of your monsters, the Red bar and the bar under it represent Hp and exp, to the left youā€™ll see a green bar.

The green bar is the ā€œenergy gaugeā€ it is filled through a simulated calorie conversion, when you feed a monster it fills the energy gauge, as long as the energy gauge is filled it will automatically restore a monsterā€™s HP when outside of battle. the energy gauge comes in 3 colors,
the green represents standard energy, when overfilled the gauge will start to fill orange, as long as the gauge is orange the extra energy will be converted to weight over time.
If the gauge becomes fully blue your monsterā€™s weight will be used to sustain functions instead.

Stomach/Digestion System

Adjacent to the last feature, when you feed a monster the stomach will be filled, different monsters will start with different capacities but itā€™s also a trainable skill through the talent system. The stomach has a soft and hard cap. fullness is achieved at the first cap but the monster can overeat +2kg over their capacity before hitting the hard cap, being overfilled will have its pros and cons.

Digestion is the overtime reduction of the stomach fullness, as of now it only exists to cap how much a monster can consume, volume-wise but in the future digestion may take part in more mechanics.

Other stuff

Apart from that, encounters are now implemented, depending on weather/time/etc. they arenā€™t random and can quite easily be avoided, some are hunters and will pursue you while some are grazers and will avoid you.

These encounters will take place in ā€œWild zonesā€ huge segmented maps (Monster hunter style) with persistent harvestables and at some point roaming minibosses.

Human companions which you will befriend, duel and team up with are functional but still a bit janky, Iā€™ll maybe post some of the designs soon.

17 Likes

CAT%20COMES%20AT%20YA
OH BOY LADS HERE WE GO

5 Likes

I really like how that weight gain/loss system sounds

1 Like

Any thoughts on a playable version soon?

Sometime before the anniversary of the original post :sweat_smile: (I hope)

4 Likes

This is getting real!