Monster rancher-like sim/rpg game

Looking for some opinions on what is the preferred look for certain arthropods, specifically crab in this case:

• #1 Centaur Style
  • #2 Frankenstein Style
  • #3 Beastman Style

0 voters

2 Likes

All 3 are so good and cute! I donā€™t know what to vote! XD

1 Like

New and improves overview screen, its about 70-80% done now, gives you a glance at all major stats/configurations for each monster.

18 Likes

Canā€™t wait to get this little mouseā€™s metamass to XL!

1 Like

looking at this she should have a skill that temporarily increases the bulk of an opponent

1 Like

The ability is easily activated for her since she is one of the smallest monsters in the lineup for now, if it was taught to a larger one however, you would need some strategy, there are a few options for modifying the enemyā€™s size, item usage, special moves or spells.

Its up to your team composition though so youā€™ll have to build those synergies.

Guess itā€™s not all about fat monster waifus(I.E. just picking your favs). Thereā€™s strategy to this.

There are some options for less strategic play, the progression system allows you to keep improving one monster through training and care.

Implemented so far,

Rebirth system: When a monster reaches lv.30 they can be reborn, returning to lv.1 but keeping all of their unlocked skills/abilities/talents. The max lv is 50, but stat gains after 30 start to trickle so it isnā€™t crucial to max out.

Variable skill system: This one is a bit complex, each monster has a list of latent abilities and spells that they will unlock through leveling this is their normal progression, then you have variable skills, variable skills are a bit like a gacha. every 5 levels a monster will unlock a variable skill from a random ā€œSkill Seriesā€.

Weapon Series: weapon-based skills for monsters that fight with swords/axes/etc.

Body Series: body-based skills like bodyslams, martial arts, and breath attacks.

Social Series: mostly based on environmental or teamplay-based skills.

Racial Series: these are type locked skills, so, for example, Brave Mouser would get access to ā€œBeast Seriesā€

each series contains a few skills of specific rarities [Common | Uncommon | Rare | Epic] whenever the monster earns a variable skill they have a chance to gain one skill from these pools, as you gain levels the odds become better so while lv.5 will give a low chance to get an Epic skill, lv.50 will have a much-increased chance. When you rebirth you get the chance to earn them all over again so you can power up by aiming for those epic skills.

To be added later onā€¦

Metamorph system: After gaining enough mass, metamorph would become available allowing the monster to take a new form, and modify their stats.

Awaken system: Alternative to metamorph, awaken would modify the stats of the monster and unlock a perfect form, which will be more suitable for people who want to advance but also like how the monster looks and not wanting to change it too drastically.

Talent system: this one got pushed back a bit, its a system that ties into the life sim angle of the game, using facilities in their homestead the player can train the monsterā€™s talents, this would allow you to make a frail monster beefy, a dumb monster smart and fun stuff like increased stomach capacity.

So, TLDR: You can play super strategically or grow your favorite into unstoppable force against all odds.

15 Likes

Ohhhh hohohohoHO!~ My excitement just increased tenfold!

How does this feel? Considering using this 3D environment with 2D sprites style, Donā€™t worry, it hasnā€™t delayed anything, the maps were pretty much all converted in a day.

• Yay
  • Nay

0 voters

4 Likes

Iā€™m a bit torn on the idea honestly.

On one hand I think it would look really nice and cute to have the 3D view with 2D sprites, it would make the game feel that much more personal. But I kind of feel that youā€™d need to do some serious editing to the background sprites to make it work properly, as it runs into the problem that it might look really flat and empty in some places, especially when it comes to edges that fall into nothingness (or maybe that is water?).

This is just my thoughts from comparing the screenshots, it may give me a completely different impression if I were to see it in video form/play it for myself.

1 Like

only way we can know the game is your screenshot , have any demo let us know about real gameā€™s status, it will be nice.

The middle screenshot is a lake but yea, due to the way the maps were designed before, walking into a new section or along the bounds of the map looks like a void atm.

It was sort of designed in the vein of traditional monster hunter games where you walk to the end of a zone and a transferred to the next one, I do plan to populate the maps more and add some stuff behind the boundary of the playable area, If it looks empty right now its because I havenā€™t really dedicated much time to maps in the first place which is good since it makes the switch more smooth.

1 Like

Eagerly waiting for release! >.<
Tbh Iā€™m more about stuffing myself, any chance of a minigame involving this or something in the future? I know it has stuff about it already, was just wondering if it would be expanded.

It occurs at all times when a monster has overeaten and can mostly be seen during combat and while checking monsters for now. (Until i get around to drawing sizes onto the map sprites)

I actually forgot to update here on that,
Hereā€™s a little sample of stuffing lvls in one of the monsters,

On the updated battle status menu, you can check all the different transformation levels,

Stuffing - Inflation - Bloat - Gestation | Weight

As explained before thereā€™s 4 stages per transformation, and 3 weight levels for them to base from for alpha version only stuffing and weight will be available so about 12 forms for each monster.

9 Likes

Oooooh! This is amaaazing!~
Any release eta, or roadmap or whatnot?

1 Like

Aiming for the month of December, it will mostly be a showcase of the battle/dungeoning side of the game after that Iā€™ll setup a proper roadmap.

Count me in. Will all the features you showed here be in there too?

The artstyle kinda reminds me of the paper Mario games (the first two at least). Seeing it (unintentionally) be revived is something I really wanted to happen!

So how will weight gain itself work?