Next bellymod disscussion(old)

[quote=“docarrol, post:80, topic:736”]Sounds like it’s really coming along; good work :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity, how does your combat effectiveness increase as you level up your combat skill?
A flat, linear increase?
Exponential? - Even at small powers, it still will grow just too quickly in the long run
Polynomial? - If you don’t want a strictly increasing curve
Logarithmic? - Continues to increase, but at progressively slower and slower rates, approaching a max upper bound
Sigmoid? - Interesting for some applications, the ‘S’ curve grows slowly at the beginning and end, and rapidly in the middle, also with a max upper bound

Personally, I usually find strictly linear progression a little boring, and tends to lead to grinding. Unbounded increases at the top end are always difficult to balance: you’d need new or leveled up enemies to provide a challenge, or else everything becomes too easy over time. Personally, I like the ones that allow for continued growth but with diminishing returns. Sigmoid is fun for natural growth stuff, but can be a little fiddly to fine tune the shape of the progression curve.

I had an idea for a ‘search’ or ‘forage’ skill, when looking for stuff in the forest, beach, farms, or wherever; Make it easier to find stuff and/or increase the amount of stuff when you do find it. I thinking I’d have the bonuses would grow logarithmically, while the skill would increase linearly as you use it.
(possibly have two buttons: one for foraging one for exploring/looking for a fight? - you might find a fight while foraging, but at a lower rate, and you wouldn’t ever stumble into/out of the the zone of the forest you’re in; but if you were exploring/looking for trouble, you might find a fight, or nothing, or one of the other zones, but wouldn’t ever pick something off the ground, or at lease very rarely: trade-offs. Actually, what I’d really like to see is the ability to pick what you want to forage for, or what monster you want to hunt. But since we’re limited to a small set of buttons, that’d be really awkward and excessively limited. Too bad there’s no provision for text input, or a drop down menu or something.)[/quote]

Right now i have it so that training the combat skill is minorly logarithmic because of how powerful the stat is.

I think what might work better for that would be a toggle able mode somewhere. You could set it to “forage” or “hunt” and basically i alter the likelihood of certain events activating. That would be the least invasive way of implementing that (from a user experience angle)

Cool, I like it. Better than having a profusion of extra buttons.
Maybe something like the Kau pendant? And the events checks if you’re carrying it when calculating the percent likelihood of happening. Like if you’re carrying a “foraging collecting bag” you get the bump to foraging events, and if you’re carrying, I don’t know, a “hunting knife” you find more fights. I guess if you’re carrying both of them, it cancels out?

Or maybe the items are “equipable” in the inventory - I know most things can be “consumed/used” from the inventory screen, so I would imagine it would be possible to create items that set a “hunt” or “forage” personal flag when you activate “use” action. “Using” the foraging item would turn the “foraging” flag on (and turn off “hunting” if set); using it again would turn “foraging” off. “Using” the hunting item would turn the “hunting” flag on (and turn off “foraging” if set); using it again would turn “hunting” off. Then those flags would be checked by a template linked in the event conditional checks, when determining which of the possible events to show.

Or one flag with three states - off|hunt|forage. Or instead of having two individual items, you could just have one item that cycles through those three states when you use it.

But if you’re doing a combat overhaul, I imagine you’re already way ahead of me as far as “equiping” items, weapons, armor, etc. Probably done similarly to Nostro’s spells, now that I think about it. Nonconsumable items that remain in your inventory.
Right, well then, that’s me just now getting to old ideas that have been around for ages :wink:

Cool, I like it. Better than having a profusion of extra buttons.
Maybe something like the Kau pendant? And the events checks if you’re carrying it when calculating the percent likelihood of happening. Like if you’re carrying a “foraging collecting bag” you get the bump to foraging events, and if you’re carrying, I don’t know, a “hunting knife” you find more fights. I guess if you’re carrying both of them, it cancels out?

Or maybe the items are “equipable” in the inventory - I know most things can be “consumed/used” from the inventory screen, so I would imagine it would be possible to create items that set a “hunt” or “forage” personal flag when you activate “use” action. “Using” the foraging item would turn the “foraging” flag on (and turn off “hunting” if set); using it again would turn “foraging” off. “Using” the hunting item would turn the “hunting” flag on (and turn off “foraging” if set); using it again would turn “hunting” off. Then those flags would be checked by a template linked in the event conditional checks, when determining which of the possible events to show.

Or one flag with three states - off|hunt|forage. Or instead of having two individual items, you could just have one item that cycles through those three states when you use it.

But if you’re doing a combat overhaul, I imagine you’re already way ahead of me as far as “equiping” items, weapons, armor, etc. Probably done similarly to Nostro’s spells, now that I think about it. Nonconsumable items that remain in your inventory.
Right, well then, that’s me just now getting to old ideas that have been around for ages ;)[/quote]

Unfortunately “equiping” things is not natively supported by fetishmaster. I don’t have any weapons implemented, but i have thought about it. If i do include weapons in the combat overhaul its going to be a very limited selection that wont include armor at all. I’m more likely to have a magic system than a weapon system.

Maybe not “equipping” per se, but based on the action of the pendant to the Kau town, we know it’s possible to have events and template scripts check for proxy.hasItem(); and from other interactions, the “use” action for an item in the inventory can be used to set personal flags, set temporary or permanent status effects, even add or remove organs (like the kau transformation potion).

So it seems like it should be possible to create, for example, a weapon item that increases your attack skill while you have it in your inventory, if your combat script can check for proxy.hasItem(). Or the weapon item might toggle an “weapon_equpiped” stat when you “use” it, and the combat script could check that. Or “using” the weapon could toggle add/remove a bonus to the “generic.attack” skill or stat. Or you could toggle the addition/removal of a custom organ to do the same thing.

But you’ve said you’ve got a system you like working already, and functionality now always trumps a hypothetical down the road.
I’m just thinking out loud, as it were; it seems like there might be options hack in some kind of functionality there, if someone wanted to do it that way.

[quote=“docarrol, post:84, topic:736”]Maybe not “equipping” per se, but based on the action of the pendant to the Kau town, we know it’s possible to have events and template scripts check for proxy.hasItem(); and from other interactions, the “use” action for an item in the inventory can be used to set personal flags, set temporary or permanent status effects, even add or remove organs (like the kau transformation potion).

So it seems like it should be possible to create, for example, a weapon item that increases your attack skill while you have it in your inventory, if your combat script can check for proxy.hasItem(). Or the weapon item might toggle an “weapon_equpiped” stat when you “use” it, and the combat script could check that. Or “using” the weapon could toggle add/remove a bonus to the “generic.attack” skill or stat. Or you could toggle the addition/removal of a custom organ to do the same thing.

But you’ve said you’ve got a system you like working already, and functionality now always trumps a hypothetical down the road.
I’m just thinking out loud, as it were; it seems like there might be options hack in some kind of functionality there, if someone wanted to do it that way.[/quote]

Yeah, if i add weapons, its just going to add new combat options if you have it in your inventory.

Tonight i was able to implement blocking and resting as quick mini projects.

The basic block provides a base damage reduction of 30% with additional reduction based on your proxy’s combat skill and endurance.

The small resting event in combat provides tiredness reduction based on you endurance. Better get you proxy running!

Things are moving forward

Question: How integrated will this combat system be with the rest of the bellymod? I’m not much for a bunch of sizeplay in that regard, just not really my thing, but this combat redux sounds really awesome.

I don’t know if the combat system will be awesome but it will certainly be better than the base game by leaps and bounds. So far the combat stuff doesn’t have any belly related stuff in it yet. Well mostly. How many curatives you can consume is limited by your stomach size and large proxys get a bunch of penalties to a bunch of stuff. But I’m glad you’re looking forward to it

Things move forward slowly because of work an what not. Here’s what I’ve done recently on the mod:

I’ve done some reworking for the framework that calculates damage ( to allow for blocking by both players and enemies)

Tonight i went through and added math for calculating how much a proxy’s belly actually weighs since that wasn’t actually set anywhere. I’ll be using this variable to set how much damage is done by dropping your belly on an enemy. As an aside i had an idea for how to implement a feature that i think some people would be interested in: Belly air inflation. it would take a little bit of code to get to work, but not too much. Its on the back back burner but it’s on my radar for the future! I’ll even add it to the todo list.

I added a couple small items to be found by wandering in the field near the farms. A handful of berries that can be eaten. Its just a simple food. And wild flowers which can be sold(that’s their only purpose at the moment. They may be used in a quest in the future as a gift or something)

I’ve also added a feature that i might release as an optional change or just in the main mod and that is: Weight gain during pregnancy. IRL women are expected to gain like 30 lbs during a pregnancy. It’s literally like one line of code i changed for this so it would be trivial to remove/split off if people don’t like it.

So on my immediate to do list:

[ul][li]Belly stuff in combat(blocking/smashing)[/li]
[li]fleshing out the catgirl/tentacle beast ai a bit more. Adding defensive decisions to try and protect themselves from incoming bellies[/li]
[li]more enemies now that I’m pretty much finished with the core of the combat system. First on that list of enemies is the 2 new ones i have planned: A robotic enemy and a slime enemy(which will attempt to force itself into a proxy’s stomach(filling it up and preventing proxy from drinking restoratives)[/li][/ul]

Alright i have a belly smash ability implement in combat however i need to do a ton of balancing for it. Right now it does a percentage of the enemy’s current health in damage + an amount of damage based off of the weight of the proxy’s belly. The problem I’ve encountered is that as the belly grows outward from the waist linearly the weight of the abdomen grows exponentially. I mean i guess it does make sense for a belly the size of a golf cart to one-hit a lot of enemies but that doesn’t make for interest gameplay in this system. I’m considering making the damage dealt be more focused on percentile damage (so the bigger you get the higher the percentile damage. I’ll also have to increase the cost to use it (in tiredness) so that using a huge belly as a weapon is powerful but also exhausting to do even once.

I’m going to keep messing around with it but I’m actually going to be out of town this weekend.

How is the development progressing? Cant wait to see the new features you mentioned… Like something about the combat)) And also some sort of office building)) Dohavocom plz r u still with us? its been a while since you posted update message here))(((

Yeaah I’ve been meaning to post. This have slowed a bit because i got an actual pretty good fulltime job. I’ve added pizza!

I’ve also been chipping away at implementing slimes but nothing is really naled down about them. my most recent hurdle is figuring out why all the enemies have 100hp even when i explicitly give them different hp values

are you viewing the 100 in the combat system? cause i noticed that those values are on the level of 100% health rather than 100 points of health.

I don’t think its that because the player’s health is not a percentage, and damage dealt to the monster still subtracts 1 for 1

You can’t directly setup max HP for character - game recalculate it from primary stats every turn (so it’s will be overwritten). Formula is maxhp=generic.end*1.5
But you can directly adjust value of max HP through effects as any other RNA stat.

[quote=“h.coder, post:96, topic:736”]You can’t directly setup max HP for character - game recalculate it from primary stats every turn (so it’s will be overwritten). Formula is maxhp=generic.end*1.5
But you can directly adjust value of max HP through effects as any other RNA stat.[/quote]
The thing that’s weird is that enemies always have 100 max HP regardless of their endurance stat

Eta on the next update?

Sometime in the future haha. I have a lack of free time atm. Though next month i have 3 4 day weekend, so i expect to get a lot done then. Sorry. What time i have had I’ve been chipping away at the combat stuff. tweaking numbers and what not

Time for an episode of good news bad news!

Good news! I have a new full time job with good pay and benefits!

Bad news! That means less free time in general so less time to work on FM

Good news! I recently brought the DnD campaign i was running to an end so that means i’ll have more free time than i normally would have had.

Bad news! however for the moth of November i’m going to attempt to write the very rough draft of a novel. I’m participating in http://nanowrimo.org which means i’ll be trying to write at least 1700 words every day

Good news! My new job has PTO at the start so i actually have 2 four day weekends which should give me time to work on both FM and my hypothetical novel.

TL;DR: I’m going to be very busy the next month