Olive And The Ruby Bra

It’s no problem at all! If I’ve gotta spend the time fixing this monster then i should have well enough time to conform to those who want to play the games’ needs.

Alright, I’ve played through the entire game, added a few more things, fixed others, I could not find out what the hell @danny8650 was talking about with becoming invincible (I feel like they meant invisible but that’s fine we cant all be literate (that was a joke, lads)) so if that happens again then fuck. But I’ve played through it all, it all seems to be good!
Of course there may be more bugs, but still. Spoilers for the plans of the next major update: The next major update I do will definitely be the rest of the bakery side quest, I’ll make the next town and a bit of the mountains, Holes will be introduced within the story, and you’ll finally figure out why not to trust the yellow ones. Oh, also more of the stranger. I’ve got a lot planned for that goof.

I hope y’all enjoy what we’ve got so far!

Edit: Spoilers for an accidental ability de-nerf and regarding a potential boss; So I found out that Olive’s lvl 7 ability has no cost whatsoever, which is obviously busted but i think for now it’s fine, there’s no enemies you’d really use it on since the Mystic Forest boss isn’t complete yet.

I don’t know if i’ve run into a bug or not. its about the intro dungeon

So, i’ve gone through the intro dungeon a few times, and i never encounter the Space whale, I’ve tried doing one side first and i’ve tried not killing all the mimics, i’ve tried killing all the mimics. i don’t know what triggers the fight, or if it got taken out for some reason.

1 Like

Oh that’s on purpose, dont worry. Throk’s out huntin’.

Ok, i’ll do a quick review.
I like this, it’s a good game with a good concept, I’m excited about new updates.
I like that it uses tall sprites instead of the chibby ones, nothing agaisnt then but with a tall one you can have more details and you can see clearly the weight.
Here I’ll say something that it’s maybe just me but I’ll like to point it: the big double chin portrait that Olive gets when she’s fat doesn’t fit with the sprite, on the portrait she doesn’t have neck, and in the sprite she does, this is just my opinion but I feel it like an inconsistency.
Also I have found some negative points, the start it’s just too difficult, it’s not impossible, but you have to know exactly what to do, if not, you’re going to lose again and again, my advice with this will be: -make it easier so people wont drop this after losing 3 times in a row agaisn a lvl 1 enemy, or you can make Olive talk about the strategy to follow so you can make it. Maybe I’m the only one who struggles with this cuz I’m dumb, but who knows.
There are a couple of small bugs specially with the beach scene, 1 the BIG girl is there since the first moment, just invisible and you can interact with her. 2 If you don’t know what to do when you find her in the jungle and you go back, the whole next escene where she gets gluttonous, it’s going to be frozen and you can just close the game and use the last save.
Talking about the save sistem, damn, at first I hate it, but now I like it, it’s a cool interaction with a misterious and funny character, but I’ll like it to be more don’t know, the regular save system? maybe you can carry the chiken in future updates, but it’s just a suggets.
Keep on the good work, I’ll be waiting for the next update.

1 Like

You know I 100% agree with you about the portraits part, the really fat neck doesn’t fit with the sprite whatsoever and if I could I’d do my own portraits, but for now they seem to be a good way to distinguish Olive’s transformation not only represented by her sprite but with her portrait. But yeah it is a lil dopey. With the difficulty of the game, yes it really is and its gonna take a while for me to get used to the way battles are balanced, so until then I either make battles near easy and make them easy, or make them more challenging. The idea with Olive maybe talking about strategy might work, but ill have to figure out more in depth battle conversations, since I’m only doing bare minimum with those so far.

For the bugs, I’m pretty sure I know what I did wrong, I’ll have to note it down when I patch it. And I never thought anyone would leave when you find the BB (barbeque bandit as tatman describes it) so yeah I’ll definetly have to fix that either by making the player unable to leave that area until the deed is done or fixing that interaction in general.

I really hope people would like the save system but I totally understand why people wouldn’t. I really didn’t put Hen in good spots, she disappears sometimes to avoid bugs I came across as a lazy way of fixing them… The idea was sort of based around Mario and Luigi save blocks before dream team made it a button, I really enjoyed save blocks cuz it was sort of a ‘great job, keep going’ kinda thing whenever I saw one. Giving hen a personality was the best call I could’ve made if I ever was to do the save block sorta thing. Maybe there could be a future thing where you can carry her, but I dunno how she’s gonna react to that or why she’d even need to be carried in the first place, but maybe I’ll find a way to do that.

Thank you so much for the feedback, I’ll get the bug fixed tomorrow and I’ll brainstorm with myself how I can better the battles and save system!

Edit: Actually chances are I might not even have time tomorrow to work in it because it’s dnd night with some of my friends, but I will get it done soon!

On a side note, after I updated the game I thought it might be good practice just to draw Olive on paper and whiteboard to really understand her design a lil more, so future custom sprites can potentially be better. But what’s the harm in sharing some of the drawings I did? (I have no clue how these are gonna upload since I havent shown pictures via mobile on here before so let’s hope it doesn’t turn out shit)

7 Likes

god actually I’m mulling it over and carrying hen sound like the funniest shit. Like sometimes she’d jump out of olives sprite to say some shit, or maybe she could even suggest saving before some fights. but like I said way before, I’d like there to be that disconnect between the batshit and the normal story. Carrying the time travelling chicken might not be the best thing, but it could also be the best thing… Maybe when this games finished there’d be a sequel where it’s more fucking around then genuine story. Or the other way around, I dunno…

1 Like

I’m honestly liking where this is going so far! Battling is a bit tedious unless you grind, but I suppose most fights can be avoided by walking on the path (vaguely reminds me of Megaman Sprite Game lul), and not being able to save on a whim is fighting my WG RPG instincts, since I wanna examine everything for extra fat ends lol. As for the story and sprite work added here, top notch stuff!~ Can’t wait to see what else comes out of this, it’s definitely one of my favorite WG RPGs out there, easily top 3! I’ll definitely be looking for more bad ends~

1 Like

I literally hopped out of excitement after reading last bit there, I’m so glad you think of this dorky lil project as such. I will say that there’s only one big olive end as of now, next major update will introduce at minimum of one more, spoiler for side quest, and olive getting bigger (only fer a short period of time, however.) And yeah it does really seem like people find save hen to be a bit tedious, I’ll try and make her appear more often and in more important places. And yeah, beginning combat’s and issue. I will say I personally really enjoy LVL 4/5 in mystic forest, I’d like to think that’s a perfect balance. If it isn’t then I guess I was wrong about me being bad at rpgs, hehe. But thank you so much for your thoughts and kind words!

It’s my pleasure! I just love WG RPGs, and this hits a nice spot of fun, fetish, and gameplay! (I might be wording it a bit wrong, since it’s late here, but know that I definitely love this game!)
Honestly I might be the one bad at RPGs here lol, but I know I was about level 5 going into the forest and those chickens didn’t hold back. Thankfully, by the time I left the temple, none of the first area enemies could hurt Olive’s fat ass lol.

1 Like

yeah, it’s kinda strange when she was getting bullied by bats but then came out of some tomb later covered in blubber. the bats just bounce right off, now. Nectar buds still have just as much fun, though.

1 Like

This is just a first impression, but the enemies, at least initially, are SUPER tough. Especially with no battle abilities and super limited healing options. Enemy encounters don’t necessarily have to seem trivial, but I had to restart a couple of times because I just straight up ran out of resources due to two random battles.

1 Like

A lot of people tend to agree, hun. I’ll find a way to downsize em’ a wee more, I don’t think buffing olive would be the way to go.

I really hope y’all are looking through the lumber house too. There’s a lot of item interactions. I think I spent too much time on those than double checking my work lol

It’s mostly (relatively) high enemy HP and ATK, combined with the low return on potions. 100HP heals are… Not quite enough, when enemies are doing ~60HP of damage per turn, per enemy. Five available healing items and an extra weapon would be useful if the potions were a little more effective. The special wine in the house also isn’t super effective because Olive only has like 350 HP, and there’s only one of them.

I’d say grinding myself a little would be a solution, but without a consistent healing source, grinding doesn’t work out.

I will say I haven’t actually gotten to the kink part of the game, yet, so this is all purely just me working through the intro.

As a side question, why the removal of user-controlled saving? I love the talking chicken, but… RPG Maker does menu saving by default, so I have to wonder about the reasoning behind that.

1 Like

I explained it when replying to Kaldr, I was sorta inspired by the save block system in the Mario and Luigi RPGs, since the idea of having a particular spot you have to save in rather than all the time gives that feeling when you come across one of these spots equates to ‘theres something big happening’. I definetly didn’t put Hen in good places, I know that so I didn’t do the formula the way I would’ve liked. I also don’t really like the idea of being able to save literally anytime, since then the game feels more leisurely than challenging. I’m going for a more challenging take, and yeah this is a kink game and all that and if youre only here for the kinks then you can use a save editor or whatever but I’m more or less making this game to make something, yknow? Nothing’s really priority. I don’t want this to be heavily kink related nor just rpg oriented, I just wanna tell some stupid story and hear about how poorly balanced the combat is.

Yeah I should reduce their attack prolly. They shouldn’t do near as much damage as olive does, prolly. also I probably shouldn’t have rats with rabies that make them do literally 100 damage as the third enemy.

edit: another reason I like the save chicken is because it gives saving sense. not much, but more.

1 Like

I can agree that having the save points does allow for an amount of tension building, but there’s a basic player thing that the system doesn’t take into account: That a player might have to drop out of a game at a moment’s notice. All of the M&L games but Superstar Saga get a pass on that one because of the system hardware’s sleep mode. PC games in general don’t really pause well, for extended periods.

So far as the game’s story, Olive has made a good impression as a somewhat mischievous tomb raider, but two potions and the wine aren’t enough to get past the iron golem, so I’ll have to wait for an enemy balance patch to say more. I can say that it at least looks promising!

2 Likes

Oh my god you’re right I didn’t think of that at all, the fact that portable RPGs work better for that sorta stuff… I’m gonna have to weight pros and cons of Hen then, see if I should just cut her or if I can make her existance actually work. I really hope I can make her work cuz I do have plans for her character despite her literally being a 1960s englishwoman. And yes, balance patch, I can’t promise it’ll work first time and I refuse to nerf the god’s avatar (iron hulk (iron golem (whatever anyone wants to call it, fuckin, Jerry I dunno))) because I’m a dumb bitch and I like how the fight feels when you know you’ve got a chance against it.

Oh, I will say that I actually buffed adrenaline to heal 1/4 + agility of your health, which could also be a need if you consider that the stuffed rebuffs reduce your agility, so there’s even more strategy to that. My plan right now with the combat balancing is to find a way to get the ball rolling, since Olive isn’t able to do jack until she’s level three, since adrenaline you can just use guard a bunch with a single enemy and regain all your hp by exploiting that, but still, it seems like it’s tough to even get to that point. So the plan the plan, the plan is to maybe make a second enemy within the ruins that’s less of a hard hitter and more of a beef body, since the starting enemies are pretty much all heavy hitters. Beef body won’t do much damage but would serve as a support when combined with different enemies, but you could probably find it on its lonesome. Maybe make a field version too, something like a talking radish or something I don’t bloody know. But theoretically this should work, if not then the second plan is to make it so that you earn exp faster from field enemies, and if that don’t work then I’ll result to reducing stats of enemies. Since as of now it’s fine for me even without items at level one against two nectar buds, but that’s prolly cuz I understand all the values. But the point there is that even as of now, it’s possible to beat. We just gotta make it simpler.

That was a tangent, I’m sorry this is in reply form. Just a lil out loud brainstorming.

Actually speaking of tangents, I should warn yall that I am definetly an oversharer of ideas if y’all haven’t figured that out. I will literally talk about anything and it will lead into ideas for something.

that being said I’m going to look for pictures of walking trees now and see if they fit rpg makers artstyle enough because I just thought of those as being beefbodies of the fields.

Yeah, I wasn’t even reasonably able to hit level 2, before the golem fight. If it’s a key ability for your balance, you might just want to set Olive’s initial level to 3, since that seems to be the idea behind her ability to grind. That might alleviate the potion balance A LOT. Plus, she’s clearly not a total newbie to this adventure business, so having a couple levels above 1 makes sense from a story perspective, as well.

It’s not posted here, because I’m using it mostly as a learning project, but I took the approach of making all of the characters pretty high-leveled in my own RPG Maker project, because in context all of them had “already finished” their own adventures.

1 Like