Project Bob (Ravenous' Uncle)

I thought i fixed it when i made sure the random number generator never picked 0, but apparently there’s a second problem of it treating a number as an int causing it to round to 0, which is causing the divide by zero error.

just speaking up to say that this game is awesome, and i am excited for it’s future; I started playing it yesterday and am already hyped for whatever the next update is.

2 Likes

Just posted an updated version fixing that event.

All the links for download have been updated in the first post in the first!

3 Likes

Getting this error when taking the taxi:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/travel.rpy", line 53, in <module>
  File "game/travel.rpy", line 101, in traveltaxi
  File "game/npc.rpy", line 171, in meetfrined
TypeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "start_day.rpyc", line 12, in script call
  File "travel.rpyc", line 3, in script
  File "[file location]\Bob-Alpha1.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "[file location]\Bob-Alpha1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/travel.rpy", line 53, in <module>
  File "game/travel.rpy", line 101, in traveltaxi
  File "game/npc.rpy", line 171, in meetfrined
TypeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute '__getitem__'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Bob Alpha1.1.1
Wed Aug 12 22:24:50 2020

And this one when taking the office skills course:

While running game code:
  File "game/p_school.rpy", line 19, in <module>
NameError: name 'd_office_skills' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "p_school.rpyc", line 19, in script
  File "[file location]\Bob-Alpha1.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1832, in execute
    if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
  File "[file location]\Bob-Alpha1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2059, in py_eval
    return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
  File "[file location]\Bob-Alpha1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2052, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/p_school.rpy", line 19, in <module>
NameError: name 'd_office_skills' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Bob Alpha1.1.1
Wed Aug 12 22:32:01 2020

As to strategy, either I got lucky or found something that worked: started at a middling weight (~148 pounds when very tall) and a roughly 1/3 fitness score, 0 greed. Didn’t push any indulgent habits at first, but tried to encourage exercising less.

Once I found a person that encouraged weight gain, partied with only them. Starting close to the target weight plus the parties raised happiness. Plugged away at the job until having enough work experience to do something better-paying, and upgraded housing when possible.

After a little while (took over 100 days), had a decent enough income and a comfy condo, plus a small stable of friends that encouraged weight gain. At that point my fitness was getting pretty low as well. From there I started ratcheting up the diet and partying more, whereupon after a few weeks greed begins to rise pretty quick. Before too long fitness is minimized and greed is maxed out, and my character is gaining slowly but steadily while lingering at pretty much max happiness. ‘Only’ at about 175 now, but still raising steadily.

The one odd part about this is that their target weight is still 145, but there’s enough other happiness going on that it doesn’t seem to bother them too much. Perhaps it’s the fact that their daily bus ride is filled with fitness nuts.

2 Likes

Yeah, can’t get past day 2 with the current version, but here’s my experience from 1.0.

In weight history, the old weights aren’t removed, so past day 200 or something it goes off the side of the graph, then the side of the screen.

The AI pull on more exercise once your bar gets about 1/3 of the way filled seems really strong. With middling willpower, it would always drift toward Olympian and eventually there was nothing I could do to reduce it until getting to about 250 pounds, when my character stopped wanting to exercise. I had this issue on multiple starts.

With parties, the house says the max guests is 20, but the Party Planner would say I reached the limit after 10 or so. I was still able to add participants, but I didn’t check if it stopped at 20 (since I was just looking for the special friend type). It would be nice to be able to remove friends, even if it’s on a timer of “haven’t seen or invited to party in 4 months”, since my list quickly grew to be about 60 people. It seems like it’s worthwhile to swap occupations and such to grow your acquaintance list to find people for the party, so some way of managing this would be nice.

I did find that once I had even two of those special friends, I was able to gain weight at an incredibly rapid pace. One suggestion might be to increase the frequency of the trait on generation, but tie whether or not they activate at the party to whether you’re still below their weight preference. Then, in addition to the weight on the friend screen a simple (+) or (-) could let the player know whether the friend is encouraging them to gain or lose weight, since it was difficult to remember everyone.

Oh, and for homes, I didn’t read the list fully at first and figured it was ordered from most expensive to least, which made me buy the Large House 3rd because I figured it was still low on the list. Would it be possible to sort the list to look like a progression?

4 Likes

Question: I’m getting the same school error as reported above. I’ve been clicking ignore, I just wanted to know if my PC’s skills are improving from the classes, regardless of the error.

Are you playing 1.0, 1.1, or 1.1.1?
If your playing 1.1.1 did you use a older versions save if so, that’s the problem.

Oops in fixing something i broke something ill release a new version fixing this!

Target weight is calculated based on many things, one being the appearance of others.

Try 1.1.2 when i post it in a bit it should be fairly playable.

Yes, this is on my list to fix, however its super low. The problem stems from python dictionaries are not index specific in relation to where the item is in it meaning when you fetch the item while looping will pull them in an order different to how i put them in the dictionary.

Fixing it while you were posting.

1 Like

Npc’s in various locations changed out over time, also different locations change a different rates too. For instance the bus turns over fairly quickly. If your in a hurry to meet new people changing occupations would increase the number of people your exposed to.

3 Likes

Just posted an updated version fixing a few bugs. Also expansion of the party, and re-balancing of a few different things. A major bug fixes is the month end pay bills screen now actually works properly, and you actually pay the bill.

3 Likes

No matter what happens, I never seem to gain or lose any weight, even if I’m eating a lot or if I’m starving myself.

I don’t really understand what the point of choosing your exercise/diet levels is, if the game chooses for you anyway, too.

Anyway, here’s another error I get:

While running game code:
File “game/p_day_end.rpy”, line 49, in
NameError: name ‘toweightself’ is not defined

– Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File “start_day.rpyc”, line 12, in script call
File “p_day_end.rpyc”, line 49, in script
File “Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\ast.py”, line 1832, in execute
File “Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\python.py”, line 2059, in py_eval
File “Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\python.py”, line 2052, in py_eval_bytecode

I’ve also encountered a glitch where I can’t continue the game because I don’t have enough money to take classes, but there’s no option to just not take any… plus, I’m not even going to school to take those classes so the money needed doesn’t matter anyway.

3 Likes

I’ve encountered something of an interesting problem, and I’ll admit, it’s probably just me not understanding the base mechanics of the game.

First, after getting my PC into a rut of overindulgence and zero exercise, she suddenly decided to lose weight. Both Greed and Happiness are maxed out, and Fitness and Fullness are at zero. This is particularly interesting, given she didn’t even try to work out for in-game months, then all of a sudden, she wants to walk to work and exercise at least once per day. She even started refusing to indulge when given the opportunity, despite her greed being insatiable.

I was a little put out that I’d finally bought the car, and she adamantly refused to use it. Then, the one time she did, it bugged out like a boss.

My second query, what the heck does Fullness do, if anything? I’ve seen it increase once or twice, but usually, it just sits empty.

So, in a nut shell, my PC keeps trying to lose weight, and I keep trying to make her put it on. I’m slowly winning, but it’s kind of a brutal grindfest.

One more thing, if I may. Does random people encouraging her to lose weight have an effect, or is it only when they attend a party?

2 Likes

Every time I end a day I’ve got this error

Full traceback:
File “p_day_end.rpyc”, line 49, in script
File “Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\ast.py”, line 1832, in execute
File “Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\python.py”, line 2059, in py_eval
File “Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\python.py”, line 2052, in py_eval_bytecode

2 Likes

Currently (on version 1.2) I get this error whenever I start a day:

While running game code:
  File "game/dp_check.rpy", line 18, in <module>
TypeError: unhashable type: 'RevertableDict'

Full traceback:
  File "dp_check.rpyc", line 16, in script
  File "C:\Users\vincent\Downloads\Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\vincent\Downloads\Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/dp_check.rpy", line 18, in <module>
TypeError: unhashable type: 'RevertableDict'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Bob Alpha1.2
Thu Aug 13 12:01:07 2020
1 Like

Hopping in to say that I’ve enjoyed playing this game so far, though there is one little quirk that has been bugging me a little.

There is a small chance that if you outgrow your clothes at certain weights you’ll end up being unable to get new clothes since there won’t be any outfits that are the right size in the stores due to how the store’s RNG works. That combined with the “both too tight and too loose” issue has left me stuck a couple times. Perhaps giving different clothing types different levels of stretch could help prevent those game-ending situations?

That aside, I can’t wait to see what’s next for this game. This game looks very promising so far, and we could use more Renpy games around here imo.

4 Likes

While running game code:
  File "game/p_day_end.rpy", line 49, in <module>
NameError: name 'toweightself' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "p_day_end.rpyc", line 49, in script
  File "C:\Users\ellis\Desktop\Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1832, in execute
  File "C:\Users\ellis\Desktop\Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2059, in py_eval
  File "C:\Users\ellis\Desktop\Bob-Alpha1.2-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2052, in py_eval_bytecode
  File "game/p_day_end.rpy", line 49, in <module>
NameError: name 'toweightself' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Bob Alpha1.2
Fri Aug 14 02:39:57 2020
1 Like

First off thanks to all the reported errors i have tried to correct them all in the next update.

Second I have noticed all the new users or users who have never posted before, and wanted to thank them all for joining the community and being active members!

I have been aware of this possibility, however i am not sure what i’m going to do with it. I gave players the online store to make sure even if you could not go in store, you had an option to try and get clothes, reducing the number of times you will be forced into a bad end. I’m inclined to leave this in the game as a bad end to be honest for the most part. About 3-5 different sizes of clothing should fit you(albeit not perfectly). If you planed to gain weight or knew your character is gaining weight and did not plan ahead and get some backup clothing, that’s kinda shame on you. Also general note to all, the larger clothing sizes get harder and harder to find may want to start looking to buying clothing in that size well in advanced if you are plan on growing to that size.

Weight loss and gain is very realistic. Approximately 3500 calories is a pound of fat so if your characters bmr is 1400 and you ate 1600 you gained 0.0571428571428571 lbs. So, like in reality a goal of 500 cal excess or deficit is manageable per day, meaning most of the time, unless you are doing an extreme action, weight gain or loss is going to be on the scale of 1lb per week gained or loss.

Your choice does matter! The ai doesn’t chose so much a sanity checks with some rng here. A lot of variables and stats go into the ai’s sainty check. With the rng in place you should be able to some of the time pick options 3 - 4 above what would be “perfect” for your character. Most of the time pick options 1- 2 above. Same with bellow. Now i should note there are definitely cases where you can get locked into 1-2 choices pretty hard. This is from min maxing in certain ways, and unbalancing the character. You guys got yourselves into that mess, and it is possible to get out of it.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, no bug here fully functioning as intended! Your gained well past your characters idea of a good weight. So, the ai finally said enough is enough and made the character try and loose weight. Got that yo yo effect happening. Its like a new gainer who gained past a weight they are comfortable with and then lost some weight. Or, one that was unsure to begin with and decided to loose what they gained. You need to better match your characters target weight to the weight you want them to gain to.

There may be a bug there, I will look into it.

1 Like

Ok think i have gotten all the bugs out of 1.2 so i have posted 1.2.1. A note going forward always assume saves are not compatible with previous versions unless i state that they are. 1.2 saves this time will be compatible with 1.2.1

1 Like

What to do in this case.

• Leave it as is, as a dead end.
  • Add bad ending text to this and leave it in the game.
  • Make a triggered event where, a friend has to help bail you out(with a penalty to your character).
  • Change the store in this case to have all clothing sizes.
  • Other(if other let me know what you thinking is)

0 voters

Note to the friend option if you have no friend you will get dumped into a bad end.

3 Likes

After playing this again new, I still have the same issues. For a game that’s called ‘Big Obese BBWs’, and on a weight gaining game board, the AI seems really hard set on making sure you cannot gain any weight, randomly and arbitrarily. As it stands, that is the major flaw of this game - you cannot say to the game ‘Okay, I want to get fat’, the game tells you ‘No, you’re doing this instead’ - It takes player agency away. Depending on how you start the game, you basically set your character up as a time limit to 0 happiness and basically killing themselves, even on the basic ‘average day’ planner set up at the start.

2 Likes

You most defiantly can gain weight. As i stated before, first in my game your character starts, not wanting to be fat, even if a starting character is fat. They don’t want to be fat. In this game you not only have to make your character wanna be fat, you have to make them fat. Unlike a game like Worshipers of the gain, where just about every thing makes you fat and you have to intentioaly be very careful if you don’t want to gain weight this game is the opposite in regards to, it is difficult to make a character fat.

Also my game penalizes you for disregarding your characters wishes, and trying to ignore certain aspects of their life. Its not supposed to be easy, its not designed to give instant gratification. It makes you work for it.

1 Like