Project Bob (Ravenous' Uncle)

I literally let the game play itself the way it wanted me to, and I still died. That’s my problem. The game takes agency away and it still kills me. I want to like this game, but it is actively fighting me in wanting to do that.

These things you’re saying in the chat need to be put upfront in the game, when you’re starting. If I make a character that’s basically fat their whole life, it’s instantly a hard mode right out of the gate, and doesn’t tell me why it’s a harder mode. If my fitness is at the bare minimum, I can’t work out more to lose the weight because the game says ‘nah you don’t want to work out as much actually’, and then I just die.

2 Likes

The ai is not advanced enough nor should be used to play for you, i did not design it for that nor is it capable. I’m not surprised your dieing, lol.

The fitness level in the day planer is like an intensity choice. A obese person may not be able to run 5 miles in one go but they could probably walk .25miles 3 times in a day. My recommendation stop trying to force your character to run five miles and make do with walking .25 miles 3 or 4 times. If your unfit or overweight of course the ai is going to reject most of the more intense exercise options this is common sense. People in real life don’t just suddenly run 5 miles they work up to it first maybe a half mile then a mile then 2 then 4 then 5. The game does not let you just magically do something.

1 Like

Heya! So just wanted to say that I’m really enjoying what’s been shown so far. I’ve made two characters so far, with the second going from 90 lbs to ~290 in 549 days.
I for one enjoy the slow weight progression and the fact that your character has an ideal weight which will change over time, though I agree that, while it’s clearly what you intended for the character to fight strongly against some of your choices, it’s a bit excessive in some cases; a character with maxed or near-max fitness constantly wanting to do olympic-level fitness while getting winded wobbling to the bus station seems a bit odd.

Another thing is that There is no longer a “none” option under classes, meaning that on the first day and any time you have less than 20 cash, whether you intend to go to class or not, you are unable to start the day and must load an earlier file. Presumably, since you have to choose a class to proceed that day, this would also happen were to to complete every class.

In the case of actual bugs, the taxi bug does not seem to be fixed in the new update. I’ve also found another bug where error messages pop every time my character snacks between tasks or goes to a vending machine (which is a lot). Neither of these started to occur until quite late into the game (around day 500 or so).

Speaking of which, if anyone’s having trouble making their char gain weight, try not to have them eat until later in the day so they’ll be hungrier and more likely to snack early on.

On a more positive note, I was surprised and genuinely impressed by the number of different people, the differences in their behaviors and locations and the fact that they all seem to have ideal weights in mind for your character as well. I look forward to seeing what happens with that idea.
I also liked the background choices and how those would affect your character’s starting traits, and being able to choose a body type is always a welcome addition.

Overall, I’m definitely impressed by this game and look forward to seeing where you take it from here once the major bugs are fixed, but while I like it as it is and understand that you intended for it to be this way, I think it could definitely benefit from character agency being toned down a little. C’est de la Tarte had a high difficulty curve at the beginning too, and that didn’t really help to engage most people; a lot seemed to give up or spam the lottery cheat instead.

2 Likes

This is an alpha state, as the sole worker on this i can only work do so many things at once, instructions and hand holding of the player, did not make it high on my list of things to build so far.

Hey man, while I enjoy the slower gain my opinion is that the hyperrealism is kinda way to slow.

Most people that play is here to pull a quick one out, not play an advanced choice maker that requires a lot of IRL hours put in to a game for the payoff.

A slower gain gives a better payoff IMO but at the moment I find it so slow it turns into a repetitive annoyance instead of being a gratifying payoff.

If you want to keep the realism approach maybe include a button in the settings that allows for “hyperspeed” or “unrealistic gain” or something, I think a lot of people would appreciate at least having the option.

3 Likes

I didn’t get a bug in my play with taxi. I will look into it. Is it causing a renpy error, if so can you post the trackback it gives. Any pre 1.2 saves will defiantly cause a taxi bug.

Oops forgot to fix that one. Will shortly re-release an update with a fix for that.

There have been a lot of changes between 1.0 and 1.2.1 in regards to balance of exercise. Although the ai still may pick an intense workout option it may or may not make you actually pick exercise as a day option. What im getting at you pretty much can disregard what its picking trying to make you pick for intensity if its not actually making you exercise. Have you tired just not having exercise as picked day option.

Fixed the no “None” school option so i have posted 1.2.2. 1.2 and 1.2.1 saves should be compatible with 1.2.2

All the links for download have been updated in the first post in the first!

4 Likes

I guess so. I was skipping through a lot of the days tbf.

Didn’t notice you’d changed that, thanks.

Anyway, these are the errors I was getting, initially in 1.2 and the same save with 1.2.1

I’ve two more errors while I try to taste the batter and when I take the dozen donuts box of the boss.

While running game code:
File “game/p_work.rpy”, line 112, in
File “game/pfuncs.rpy”, line 497, in eventsfire
File “game/pfuncs.rpy”, line 463, in eventfire
File “game/eventslist_work_bakery.rpy”, line 12, in bakery_tast_test_batter
NameError: global name ‘addha’ is not defined

– Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File “start_day.rpyc”, line 12, in script call
File “p_work.rpyc”, line 112, in script
File “Bob-Alpha1.2.2-pc\renpy\ast.py”, line 914, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File “Bob-Alpha1.2.2-pc\renpy\python.py”, line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File “game/eventslist_work_bakery.rpy”, line 12, in bakery_tast_test_batter
NameError: global name ‘addha’ is not defined

AND

While running game code:
File “game/eventslist_work_bakery.rpy”, line 34, in bakery_boss_doughnuts
AttributeError: ‘RevertableList’ object has no attribute ‘push_back’

Full traceback:
File “p_work.rpyc”, line 112, in script
File “Bob-Alpha1.2.2-pc\renpy\ast.py”, line 914, in execute
File “Bob-Alpha1.2.2-pc\renpy\python.py”, line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
File “game/eventslist_work_bakery.rpy”, line 34, in bakery_boss_doughnuts
AttributeError: ‘RevertableList’ object has no attribute ‘push_back’

Ok, so both of those have me scratching my head. They make zero sense. Best guess is both stem from save file problems. Can you send me your save file that your experiencing these with. Also what version of the game did this save come from?

The save naming is first number is the page the save is on the second number is the slot. the slots are numbered:
[1] [2] [3]
[4] [5] [6]

so if your on the first page and used the top middle slot it would be 1-2-LT1.save
or if your on the second page and pick the bottom left it would be 2-4-LT1.save

I think i have fixed both of these you should see them fixed in the release of 1.2.3.

pmed you the save, it’s from 1.2

Ok, your taxi issue is a save related problem the npcs, were not saved, i will fix it for future versions.

1 Like

Ok this is a saving issues also. To be fixed in next version.

Once you have less than 50 cash you cannot start the day because you dont have any money for any of the lessons.
Even if you dont plan school.
But i got to day 151 without any other bugs.

1.2.2 should fix that allowing you to pick “None” for schooling avoiding that.

Should you be able to feed npc’s?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Save related issues should be fixed, and loading a saves from 1.2, 1.2.1, and 1.2.2 should patch the save to work correctly albeit it resets your inventory of snacks and the taxi npc’s. 1.2 , 1.2.1 , and 1.2.2 saves should be compatible with 1.2.3

All the links for download have been updated in the first post in the first!

2 Likes

I just checked and yes you solved the problem but on the other hand I’ve got an other error when I clean the house, which didn’t appear before.

While running game code:
File “game/p_party.rpy”, line 6, in
File “game/npc.rpy”, line 329, in scramblenpcslist
ValueError: empty range for randrange() (0,0, 0)

Full traceback:
File “p_party.rpyc”, line 6, in script
File “Bob-Alpha1.2.3-pc\renpy\ast.py”, line 914, in execute
File “Bob-Alpha1.2.3-pc\renpy\python.py”, line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
File “game/p_party.rpy”, line 6, in
File “game/npc.rpy”, line 329, in scramblenpcslist
File “/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/random.py”, line 242, in randint
File “/home/tom/ab/x64lucid-deps/install/lib/python2.7/random.py”, line 218, in randrange
ValueError: empty range for randrange() (0,0, 0)

PS : Your game can be a very good one and I love it already

2 Likes

Found and fixed, should not see in next version.