Reindeer Gains! Snailofapproval's submission

EDIT: Fixed the arrow keys so they actually go the direction they’re supposed to now.

Short, sweet, to the point. I’s only got three levels. I’m sort of using this to try out some ideas for another game I’m working on so I hope you enjoy~

28 Likes

[Deleted][Deleted][Deleted][Deleted][Deleted]

This is amazing! I love how you get a little teaser in the form of the growing belling before he actually gains the weight.

Very well made. Art style is cute, game is simple but fun, the deer gets up to a great size, and overall it’s just a simple but enjoyable game! I do have a couple notes on it tho

1. Could really use some sort of ending splash screen

2. The music is loud and drowns out some of the other sounds, mainly the belly noises. I ended up deleting it just so I could hear everything else

3. The belly noises could use more variety than just two

That’s all I can think of for negatives tho and they’re hardly deal breakers. Good job!

Thank you!!! Im so glad you enjoyed!!! I actually did intend for a splash screen at the end but I just don’t have time. I’ll see if it’s possible before the end of the contest, but I don’t think I could.

Im glad you liked it!!!

I did have a lot of issues with the music. Im not a sound person really ^-^; And actually there is three belly sounds , but, I think one of them gets super drowned out. If I have time I’ll look into it.

Very cute, and impressive work. Loved the aesthetic.

Small glitch, possibly something on my system since nobody else mentioned it: For me, both the up/down arrow keys moved down, and both the left/right arrow keys moved right. “WASD” keys worked as expected.

I noticed the same thing when i was playing it earlier. Thought I was hitting the wrong keys due to the poor lighting in the room.

Oh shoot I know exactly what I did. I should be able to fix that tonight~

I know everyone’s mentioned the splash screen, so I’ll mention a different thing!

I love this, and its REALLLY fun!! Though, I guess the background could be a bit different? Just, is a blank white space, kinda lose track of where I am.

That and for some reason, the belly didn’t grow until the bar was about 60-70% full, unless you meant for that!

Other than those two things, I Loooooove this idea! And I really wonder how you made it…

The utter disappointment as you realize you can’t break the reindeer out of that constricting belt.

4 Likes

good quality, you have top notch sprites as usual ’ 3’

2 Likes

this is just delightful really. thanks for this one!

1 Like

This is absolutely adorable!

(him get so big :0)

1 Like

Criminally underrated

1 Like

The prospect of this just being a testing ground for a larger project really gets my engine stoked, because this game is a treat.

It’s easy to pick up and play, and the sprite work continues to be superb. That, and the sound work really emphasizes the stuffage and bloatage. It gives me LIFE.

Honestly, the only thing I would recommend is the option between a male or female deer (asking for a friend), and that’s frankly the worst nitpick one could have.

Approved!

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 388
Writing: 0
Concept/Design 1040
Msc: 113
Total: 21541

Comments:

A very simple but fun collect the items game. Some great art assets, fairly tight controls, and good pacing made it fun to play. I feel there was a a huge missed opportunity though with the weight gain mechanic as nothing interesting was really done with it.

Kilif Score

Category Total
Art: 380
Writing: 30
Concept/Design 1165
Msc: 165
Total: 21740

Comments:

Very simple but enjoyable game. Art assets were excellent and animation was very good. The only (nitpicky) complaint was the overall simplicity of the concept and the gameplay itself being very straight forward.

Juxtaterrestrial Score

Category Total
Art: 349
Writing: 0
Concept/Design 1198
Msc: 179
Total: 21726

Comments:

I really love how big you can get. Absurd sizes are such fun. I’m also really impressed with how different the artstyle is to your other game. I wish there was another size after the last one though haha.

Total points: 65007