Spacethumper

about that bug with slimes… i accidently launched the game twice and one of the windows were left untouched:

3 Likes

Bouncy slimes! Bouncing over walls!

1 Like

Maybe the slimes should leave when they destroy everything. Unless you add a lose condition, they can pretty much softlock the game.

yeah, I actually lost my ship within the first few raids, then talked to the robot who told me to be careful…oops.

2 Likes

Man i really like your game i spent a lot of time playing it and it’s really funny, i can’t wait until the new update

1 Like

Link to download
-enemies can no longer attack during dialogue
-fixed the weight 10 standing sprite
-updated a better GUI
-added footstep sounds
-added hit sounds for enemies so you know when buildings are getting attacked
-space highlighter is now blue for better visibility
-player animations now slow down at higher weights

6 Likes

The GUI is beautiful. Exact energy, names of the buildings behind you for when you’re too fat to see it, and the design is great. Couldn’t ask for anything else.

The change to the research station renders it unable to be manually destroyed, though. I ended up having to delete everything on the right side of the map just for slimes to destroy it for me due to my initial setup.

1 Like

Cool update! Worth noting that it does appear to screw with existing save states so it’s best to restart.

Putting the “thump” into Spacethumper I see (or, more accurately, “hear”)! Liking the massive footfalls and the MCs final weight size. She’s practically using her stomach to walk at that point!

For an added challenge I decided not to buy any speed boosts as I wanted to see if it was even possible to move but alas, even at the biggest size, sensible base design of having sufficiently spaced fusion reactors and a maxed energy range meant energy loss was a non-issue. Two F3 reactors, one next to the right side of the ship and one next to the crystal extractor was all I needed.

With two Mk III turrets and repulsor walls (but reinforced walls would have sufficed) on each end of the map, my endgame boiled down to simply holding up for the couple of minutes to pump energy into the extractor for sufficient crystals to get max size and get the final research (fix the ship). No sense of increased peril or threat escalation - along with forgoing the suit accelerators I eschewed the suit repulsor strength as I had no need for it.

I definitely feel a greater variety of enemies are needed to spice up the endgame. Aerial or bouncing ones to mitigate your walls, or ones that are attracted to the MC (especially at bigger sizes) to be consumed by her and inflate her, slowing her down and gumming up her energy bar for example. Brings her suit repulsor into effect and can help ratchet up the endgame. An additional failure state of having the MC overwhelmed by slime-inflation if her energy bar is ever fully filled with slime, perhaps.

Also, a minor point but it would be nice to have a final dialogue upon reaching the biggest size, or upon having sufficient energy to fix the ship. Slightly anti-climactic there.

On the whole the game is promising, but the endgame lacks “oomph” currently.

1 Like

I think crystals are a pretty nasty bottleneck right now, and could really use something to alleviate it. an extra upgrade rank for the auto miner, or being able to boost it without holding a button for minutes on end come to mind. Especially if you plan to make the tower defense parts of the game more involved.

1 Like

Looks like I can’t destroy research stations anymore.

I’m still in the midgame, just unlocked tier 2 reactors. I still have several researches to do with the research station.

I was trying to replace a research station with a suit upgrade station.

2 Likes

There is also an audio bug if your running then hit exit.

When you go to the menu the running noise loops forever/

1 Like

I found an odd bug with the crystal mines, you can have the ghost outline of a mine still be able to mine crystals with out it having it be built to level one. There’s also a odd feature with the energy transfer speed upgrade and the mines venting feature, where you lose more energy but you gain the same amount of crystals so it’s better if you don’t take that upgrade.

so i can’t repair the ship even tho i did the thing for it

There is no “win condition” yet. It is still a WIP, and that may change as soon as it gets updated.

makes sense to be honest the crystal part is still kinda slow on upgrade 3

I wedged a nail file between my keys on my keyboard to hold the key down, since I’m generating more power than I can spend it, then I left my computer to go make a cup of coffee.

1 Like

There is something perversely satisfying about that, that even with venting energy into overclocking crystal extraction you still end up amassing energy and getting heavier. <w<

1 Like

The idea, sure, but in-game, you can’t generate while you’re depositing energy. When you generate more than you can use, it just pauses the meter where it is.

I had actually gotten to a point where I was slowly gaining energy while holding the key down, which I did with a shot glass I have on my desk. I had a fusion reactor mk.III by the crystal extractor, and I would’ve put another mk.I by it had it not been for my double turret setup.

Would be interesting to see some speedrunning attempts for how quickly one can fix the ship.